Which receiver(s) have built-in AC3 decoder?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
Quick question, was talking to a friend that maybe wants to get an FTA system but would be much more interested if he could get PBS. I found the PBS channels but of course, no sound because they are all AC3. Turns out that he doesn't have an audio system at all (let alone one with a SPDIF input) so the question is, do any receivers come with AC3 decoding (to the L & R stereo jacks) already built in?

I know the Coolsat 8000 has it, maybe the Pansat 9000? But, most DVB Receivers that does anything related to AC-3, only passes it through. The CS 8000 will decode it for sure.

Al

on the other hand . . .

Instead of restricting your shopping to the very few expensive receivers which will decode Dolby, why not just get an inexpensive decoder.
That was thoroughly discussed just a couple of months ago, and I think you'll find it interesting reading.

Then, all you have to be concerned about, is getting a receiver that puts out the optical/digital signal. (most do)

Instead of restricting your shopping to the very few expensive receivers which will decode Dolby, why not just get an inexpensive decoder.
That was thoroughly discussed just a couple of months ago, and I think you'll find it interesting reading.

Then, all you have to be concerned about, is getting a receiver that puts out the optical/digital signal. (most do)

Nice, but the unit doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore. I might have been interested in one of those Sonic Voom units myself, but my Pansat 2500A doesn't have the optical SPDIF output (it has the kind that uses an RCA plug if I recall correctly, I'd have to look but I know it's not optical).

I know the Coolsat 8000 has it, maybe the Pansat 9000? But, most DVB Receivers that does anything related to AC-3, only passes it through. The CS 8000 will decode it for sure.

According to Mike Kohl's site, talking about the PANSAT 9000-HD, "This receiver has included a licensed Dolby circuit that automatically processes AC-3 audio, meaning incredible sound quality when piped into a home theater or other stereo audio system. Many standard definition receivers such as the Pansat 2700 and 3500 and others have had an S-PDIF connection that allow you to connect a stereo receiver to process the Dolby digital sound. Totally unnecessary with the PANSAT 9000-HD. You can plug it in directly to an audio input on a stereo, even an older one without a Dolby digital circuit. The audio also passes through the channel 3 or 4 TV modulator output like a normal TV signal too."

I sure would like one of those 9000-HD's but I can't believe they left out the blind scan feature. That sort of boggles my mind - the receiver would be PERFECT otherwise, but not having blind scan is a major deficiency in my personal opinion.

Anyway, I probably should have mentioned that my friend isn't wealthy (nor am I for that matter). I could have sworn I'd read that at least one standard definition FTA receiver had a built in AC-3 decoder, but maybe I was dreaming or something. :confused:

Get the Soundblaster Audigy External Soundcard for converting the sound to normal computer speaker sounds.... It's been mentioned in a lot of other threads. I use mine with my pansat 3500 and love it. These things are pretty cheap on ebay since they don't make them anymore. Just be careful to price around. If you search for the word audigy and not soundblaster or creative you can sometimes find them cheaper on ebay since some people don't think to just search for that, so other people bidding against you might not try to outbid you as much.

What's extremely nice about it is that not only can it convert the dolby sound so that it can play on a normal computer speaker, it's got several in and out jacks... so you can do like I did, get a long couple of cheap computer speaker wire extension cord things from radio shack, and hook them up from your computer's soundcard out and be able to not only play any dolby from your satellite reciever in your living room, but also be able to play any internet music or whatever on your computer and hear it in your living room... and if you put enough y-jacks in after the card, you can blast that sound throughout the entire house!

Nice, but the unit doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore. I might have been interested in one of those Sonic Voom units myself, but my Pansat 2500A doesn't have the optical SPDIF output (it has the kind that uses an RCA plug if I recall correctly, I'd have to look but I know it's not optical).
FYI the Sonic Voom unit uses either the optical or RCA input. So, if you can find one, it will work with your 2500A.
Bob

FYI the Sonic Voom unit uses either the optical or RCA input. So, if you can find one, it will work with your 2500A.
Bob
They are widely available on eBay. I picked up a couple for $3 each plus actual shipping recently.

Pansat 2500a
Digital Audio Output (SPDIF) Digital Audio Output (SPDIF)
Dealers -have- been known to make mistakes... but this seems encouraging.
Plus, SPDIF is listed here, as well:
Pansat 2500a Blind Search MPEG-2 DVB Satellite Free To Air Receiver

And while prices listed above are a little high for a discontinued receiver, there are many current FTA receivers on the market with digital/optical Dolby outputs.
So, you don't have to restrict your shopping to the few overpriced units with Dolby decoding built in.

They are widely available on eBay. I picked up a couple for $3 each plus actual shipping recently.

Strange, I searched on "Sonic Voom" and got nothing at all. That's the problem with eBay, when you want something either nobody is selling it, or some idiot bids the price up to the moon (of course, if I was selling stuff on eBay I might feel differently about such an "idiot"). :D

Just bought a sonic voom AC3 headset kit.. They are available at some Fry's stores... but they are no longer being built... the company that made them is out of business...

one quick note: they come with the RCA or optical input and have two ouputs... I use one for the TV and the other for the headset that came with them... WOW - do the headset speakers sound great ! I have no idea why this company went broke ? just does not make sense...

Also, keep in mind... most dvb cards, both external and internal will convert the ac3 automatically... at least my dvb world usb box does. Just turn on nextorm and you have dolby digital converted down to mono I think.

Also, keep in mind... most dvb cards, both external and internal will convert the ac3 automatically... at least my dvb world usb box does. Just turn on nextorm and you have dolby digital converted down to mono I think.

That's your DVB software doing that, not the box.

Most Home Theater receivers with Dolby optical/coaxial RCA inputs will decode the AC-3 signal. Check your equipment out before buying any additional decoding equipment. Most people don't even realize such inputs exist and still use 2 channel RCA connectors and wonder why they aren't getting the best sound quality. All you need on the sat receiver is a raw digital audio out jack of some flavor.

this may help

the orasat 5.0 version does have the ac3 audio .
Full DVB
Improved New Tuner
Advanced Smart Card Access Card Reader
Xcrypt CAS embedded
Simple user friendly operating menu and on screen graphics menu
Satellite Search
Pre-Installed Channels (Optional)
4000 TV/Radio Channels
40 Satellites
Multi Languages 10(OSG and Menu): English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Turkish, Arabic, Parsi
Full On Screen Channel Guide Display EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
OSD On Screen Display with 256 Full color interface
Extended EPG and program reservation through EPG channel guide
5 Favorite groups with names changeable
Fast Channel Change
Each Channel Volume Saving Memory Function
4 color buttons for RAPID selection and convenience
Age protection lock function
Tele-text encoding (OSD and VBI Insertion)
Manual PID control
DiSEqC 1.0 and 1.2 compatible
Closed-Caption Support
RCA Output
Component Video outputs (YUV)
S-Video for high resolution support
Digital AC-3 Audio S/PIDIF output
Universal Remote Control Infrared (IR) 4 component
Zoom Function
Stand By Mode
Automatic Channel Search
Still Pause Picture
Sleeper Timer
Last Channel Memory Function
Powerful Channel Control by Favorites, Loc, Skip, Move and Channel Sorting by Alphabet, Transponder hope this helps you its a real cheap and good fta unit

just because it has AC-3 output doesn't mean it decodes it.

The original question was which boxes will decode AC-3 with no extra equipment.

The Pansat 9200 will decode AC-3 through the TV speakers . Lots of boxes can do AC-3 with an external decoder

counterpoint

I believe the Orasat 5 is an orphaned hacker-box, and never had extensive features desirable for real FTA.
So, it might be cheap, but speaking as someone who had its cousin last year, I wouldn't take one for free.

And just like 99% of other receivers with AC3 out, it requires an external Dolby decoder to make multiple audio channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)