Which Satellite for Direct TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bebopdeluxe

Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Hudson,Ohio
I was given 4 Hughes SD-HBH receivers and a 18" RCA Direct TV dish with dual-output LNB. I want to set them up for grins and giggles. I have an unobstructed southern view, but what I need to know is, which satellite do I aim for? and will Direct Tv let me activate these receivers? They all have cards and were buit in Sept 2004.

I have never set up a satellite, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Mike

I was given 4 Hughes SD-HBH receivers and a 18" RCA Direct TV dish with dual-output LNB. I want to set them up for grins and giggles. I have an unobstructed southern view, but what I need to know is, which satellite do I aim for? and will Direct Tv let me activate these receivers? They all have cards and were buit in Sept 2004.

I have never set up a satellite, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Mike

You would point it at the 101 sat.
D* will let you activate these IF you have an existing service with them,otherwise they generally don't/won't activate USED equipment as the first rec's for a new sub.
They WILL require you to get a new Access Card for $ 20 each rec. and will mail them to you, but this all depends if you are able to activate them in the first place.
Any reason your trying to activate these old units ?

They pretty much give basic and new equipment out these days and set up the new dish and rec's free of charge.
Regerdless, when you activate any rec. you willstart a 12 to 24 month commitment with D*.

Jimbo

Actually after reading way too much info when researching my whole ordeal, if he emails the ceo office and says he already has adish installed he only needs new access card. they might fight with him a bit but you can get dtv to do month to month ( no contract ) as long as they dont provide you with any other then the cards. You ask for a remote and they give you a 18month contract or any small thing you may call about will resualt in a new contract but if you keep to your self and not ask them for anything you can be free to cancel with out fear of etf at any time.

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I asked is, I was given the equipment and I just wanted to see if I could do it. Now I'm thinking I might skip the D* and go for FTA. Any suggestions on a receiver? This could be my new hobby, a combination of TV and electronics, just add beer and enjoy!

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I asked is, I was given the equipment and I just wanted to see if I could do it. Now I'm thinking I might skip the D* and go for FTA. Any suggestions on a receiver? This could be my new hobby, a combination of TV and electronics, just add beer and enjoy!

You can play with the stuff. Those receivers will run channel 100 and 201 without activation. The azimuth (compass line,) & elevation can be discovered by just connecting one to a TV and going through the menu and setup. There is a signal meter that will allow you to tune the dish.

You just need an 18" round dish and mast...........plenty around.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)