WhiteSprings - Big Signal!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
White Springs is nostalgic for me, I was a young boy in the '50's and remember some of those shows when they were new. We watched on a 9" crt mounted in a huge case. Most of the time the vertical hold wouldn't hold and sometimes you needed to cant your head sideways a little bit to see what was going on. It was cutting edge at the time, kind of makes you wonder where we will be in another 50-60 years.

They are probably using the same old equipment, in fact they probably have a projector aimed at the wall and then they put a camera on that and there ya go, fuzzy white springs

White Springs programming almost solely comes from Alpha Video, a DVD distributor.

Alpha Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can usually rent most of these titles via Netflix. They sell their DVD's via OLDIES.com . If you've ever seen the quality of these DVD's, you would understand why White Springs looks like it does. They are probably just re-broadcasting the DVD's.

I think Wal-Mart had these for some time, maybe still carries them. They're $1.00 for each DVD, not a bad price until you pop one in. Most look like they've been mastered from someone's rotting VHS tape collection (recorded at SLP, AKA EP, as Anole suggested :) ) No time base correction (you can see the tell-tale bend on the bottom of the frame), no drop-out compensation, and usually some nice digital compression artifacts to complement the analog artifacts :D

I think Wal-Mart had these for some time, maybe still carries them. They're $1.00 for each DVD, not a bad price until you pop one in. Most look like they've been mastered from someone's rotting VHS tape collection (recorded at SLP, AKA EP, as Anole suggested :) ) No time base correction (you can see the tell-tale bend on the bottom of the frame), no drop-out compensation, and usually some nice digital compression artifacts to complement the analog artifacts :D

I guess now that you mention it, our library has a few bargain dvds with all of these problems, maybe from the same source. Given the huge impact of YouTube with their frequently awful video quality, it's fair to say that a lot of people don't mind.

I'm no snob, but watching old movies on dvd from the Criterion Collection has spoiled me. Can't wait to see their Blu-Ray disks.

Does anybody listen to the Talk Star Network programming on the same TP as WS? I'm a bit of a FTA radio freak and I'm surprised I didn't see this station sooner. They have some interesting stuff like Old Time Radio programs and a UFO/Paranormal guy that makes Art Bell look sane. Just kidding, I liked Art when he was on the air. His guests were a bit over the top though.:)

TalkStar Radio Netwok (TSRN) - Home

11964 H 2920 APID 4197

I haven't listened to anything much lately. But, I have listened to Talkstar Radio, and I believe it was Chuck Harder that I listened to? It's been a while though, and he may have been on another channel?

I think we should all petition Dish Network to add White Springs TV because it's one of my biggest reasons for wanting to sign up for an FTA system. I am sure that because few have heard of it, they will never take it seriously. I just don't have the money to get an FTA system going right now.

People need to see WS TV before making requests like that. If Dish Network put on RTN or WSTV before something like Fox Business Network, I would be furious.

If E* made WSTV available, they would continually get complaints about the quality. People will think, "Why am I paying for this?" Don't think it will happen.

Here is the schedule: White Springs TV Schedule

If you are interested in FTA:

You could "go on vacation" or better yet, dump that E* subscription. Then, use that money to buy a system. Given how expensive pay TV is, one could fund a free programming system within a 2-4 months.

There are plenty of ways to get low cost FTA equipment. This past weekend, eBay had a whole mess of new Coolsat 6000s for $40-$60 shipped. Find a gas station, jiffy lube or convenience store that is closing. Many of them have one meter dishes that can be had for the asking in such a case.

When there's nothing on, (which is far too often) I will check out WSTV for nostalgia sake. But as other posters have described it, it is what it is.

I aimed my Primestar dish at 129, actually by accident. I was trying to find 123 & got signal on my satellite finder, came back inside & did a blindscan. White Springs was there @66 signal (info) I wend back out & locked everything down. This is a cool feed, I just watched a old movie & really enjoyed it. My Primestar is parked!

Attachments

• DSC09629.jpg
    DSC09629.jpg
    839.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC09628.jpg
    DSC09628.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)