who has the best receivers?

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Please vote in this poll! This poll is generalized to the big 3 US providers,(not c-band) as D* has multiple makers of their receivers. Some things you may base you vote on are; build quality, ease of use, features, overall looks, good remote, E-Z set-up, software, outputs, and more. please post any others facts that you think may be interesting to us about this topic below. Thank you for reading this post and please vote! :)

Echostar has always been more responsive to to the end user, however my feeling is that when Directv make a receiver they make it right!

I hate to say it, its like every fricken receiver Echostar has ever built has had some sort of issue at one time or another!

I've owned a total of 6 different models of D* receivers and 4 different models of E*'s and hands down, the D*'s have been MUCH better then E*'s.

My E* equipment keeps going and going....

rad said:
I've owned a total of 6 different models of D* receivers and 4 different models of E*'s and hands down, the D*'s have been MUCH better then E*'s.

Funny, it has been the complete opposite for me. My Dish receivers will not die. I leave them on 24x7. The last batch has been on for 3 1/2 years straight. I hope the new batch is just as good. :yes

bigthrust said:
Funny, it has been the complete opposite for me. My Dish receivers will not die. I leave them on 24x7. The last batch has been on for 3 1/2 years straight. I hope the new batch is just as good. :yes
My 301 was rock solid (except for a very occasional reboot). The 501 and 508 were fairly stable. They usually recorded what they were supposed to be every now and then blew it. The 6000 was solid, but the EPG was horrible, couldn't go more then an hour or two before having to download more guide info. It was also a bit disappointing that E* said the 6K would get the OpenTV internface, the back of the box even had the OpenTV logo on it. The 811 was complete dog poop, it stank that bad (yes some folks have not had one single problem, I didn't). As folks have said, give E* enough time they'll usually get it right eventually. Sorry but my idea is that I want something to work, as advertised, when I purchase it, not at some future date where maybe they'll get around to it.

This poll is still open! If you have not voted yet, please VOTE now! have an interesting story, tell me below! thanks to all who have voted already!

For a basic receiver, it is extremely hard to beat the E* 301 or 311, however, across the board (even as an E* sub) I would have to give D* the nod. They do a better job at releasing a product that is ready for primetime.

E* eventually gets there, but most definitely tend to release things before they are ready.

I like the fact that DISH has used virtually the same operating system since the first model 2000 receivers. I can tell the customer Menu 611 to get to the signal strength screen and on most of the DISH receivers they will be where they need to go. I dislike the RCA operating system (I own three) the most on Directv receivers and I like the Hughes system the best. I voted for Directv seeing they have seemed to have fewer problems since introduction about 10 years ago.

I have a Dish 6000 and a Voom STB and voted for Voom just because I think it has a better picture. Stability is no longer an issue with the new software, I don't lose the guide when watching OTA and the channels change very fast. The 6000, however, allows altering an HD image, which is a big plus, but it reboots on me quite often and losing the sat signal is a pain in the butt.

Voom has also been very responsive to fixing bugs. I slogged through all of the painful upgrades with the 501 and it took 2 years to get that box stable.

boba said:
I like the fact that DISH has used virtually the same operating system since the first model 2000 receivers. I can tell the customer Menu 611 to get to the signal strength screen and on most of the DISH receivers they will be where they need to go.
That is a + for E* hardware. Must be a good idea since D*'s going to a common receiver model to get the interface the same on new receivers.

Except on the Dish 6000 when they changed access to the HD Setup from 9 to an 8, it took me awhile to figure that one out since I don't read the menus, I just hit the buttons.

I've had two 3000's, one 4000, one 3900, one 4700, two 301's, and currently have one 501 and one 701. Having owned all these recievers, I've only experienced one failure. My dish hardware has been bullet proof to this point. I may have rebooted ten times in 7 1/2 years and couldn't be happier with the equipment.

:mad: d* has worst hd hirde86 boards are bad same for the Mitsubishi anybody that owns these good luck they will die eventually

I only have dish receivers so I can't comment on D* or Voom. But I am just behind the "leading edge" on Dish's receivers. I own the 6000, 510 and 301s and I have had flawless operation. With the exception of re-acquiring satellite on the 6000 when I watch OTA channels, or having the guide re-download on 301s if they sit to long. And my 510 works great. I can record programs out 7 days and the ease-of-use is good for me and my family. So...hey, look a positive note on Dish's components for once. I have not invested in the 7XX, 811 or the dreaded 921, that's probably why.

--Shichonni

VonL said:
I've had two 3000's, one 4000, one 3900, one 4700, two 301's, and currently have one 501 and one 701. Having owned all these recievers, I've only experienced one failure. My dish hardware has been bullet proof to this point. I may have rebooted ten times in 7 1/2 years and couldn't be happier with the equipment.
Whats a 701?

I've had Dish receivers for almost 8 years now. Never any problems. Dish just replaced an original model 3000 (was still working great) for free - said it wouldn't work after this month. Except for freeze ups my 6000 works very well - don't know if freeze up/pixilations are receiver or transmission fault. Do know that locals here (Fresno) haven't yet figured out HiDef and my TV doesn't like whatever FOX brodcasts.

I have had a mitsubishi HD ird for 3 years with np. :) I did have a sony hd100 and it was deffective. The best recievers imo are Unidens, I have 2 that are over 7 years old & still work flawlessly UDS200, but unfortunatly they stopped making them :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)