Who is having problems with HDMI with 211/411/622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you have never connected a cable to it, then odds are that it is still working. The weight of the cable hanging from the connector is believed to be a contributing factor to the failure.

Oddly enough, the new 211 firmware (3.43 I think) it came out a few weeks ago fixed my failed HDMI port on my 211.

Dish had told me when it failed to wait for the new firmware and if that didn't fix the problem they would replace the receiver.

Cheers,

If you have to go component, does the 622 output 1080i over component? I'm buying a samsung DLP HDTV and it has two HDMI inputs. I have (potentially) three HDMI sources (622, upconverting DVD player I haven't purchased yet, D-Link MediaLounge 520) but manufacturers don't tell you if these devices will output 1080i or 1080p on their component cables. They only specify the HDMI outputs.

For DVD players, I'm looking at either Sony DVP-NS75H or the Samsung HD-860. The TV is Samsung 6187W. I know the TV will accept 1080i over component. Ideally I would like to run the upscaling DVD over component as that is how my home theater will best accept digital audio input.

For DVD players, I'm looking at either Sony DVP-NS75H or the Samsung HD-860. The TV is Samsung 6187W. I know the TV will accept 1080i over component. Ideally I would like to run the upscaling DVD over component as that is how my home theater will best accept digital audio input.

DVD players will not uspscale over component unless the disk is not encrypted(which is rare). Must use HDMI for that. Look into the Oppo also for upscaling. Many people are very pleased with it.

S~

DVD players will not uspscale over component unless the disk is not encrypted(which is rare). Must use HDMI for that. Look into the Oppo also for upscaling. Many people are very pleased with it.

S~

Yea, after doing a little more reading and research, I'm learning that component+progressive on a DVD player is only going to give me 480p at best. Since DVD quality will never be better than 480p I think I'll stick with the progressive player I have and hook up the 622 and the MediaLounge 520 to the HDMI inputs. I've already started to find some HD content on the internet that I can play on the MediaLounge. That video quality is stunningly clear and crisp on my Sony 36" SDTV so I can't wait to see it in HD. :D

Yea, after doing a little more reading and research, I'm learning that component+progressive on a DVD player is only going to give me 480p at best. Since DVD quality will never be better than 480p I think I'll stick with the progressive player I have and hook up the 622 and the MediaLounge 520 to the HDMI inputs. I've already started to find some HD content on the internet that I can play on the MediaLounge. That video quality is stunningly clear and crisp on my Sony 36" SDTV so I can't wait to see it in HD. :D

I've got one of my 622's hooked up using both the component and HDMI as both outputs are active at the same time. DD5.1 is not active over HDMI output at this time on the 622 (scheduled for sometime this year). The component and optical run to my receiver, the HDMI runs to my TV. I run my HDDVD player and BR player into the receiver through HDMI.

S~

I've got one of my 622's hooked up using both the component and HDMI as both outputs are active at the same time. DD5.1 is not active over HDMI output at this time on the 622 (scheduled for sometime this year). The component and optical run to my receiver, the HDMI runs to my TV. I run my HDDVD player and BR player into the receiver through HDMI.

S~

DD5.1 not active over HDMI?!? What the hell were they thinking?
You must have a receiver that does HDMI switching...I unfortunately don't. I can do component switching on DVD and "Video 2" but that's it. I also have a limited number of digital audio inputs...so...

I can run the DVD component to the TV, Coaxial audio to the receiver.
I can run the 622 HDMI to the TV, and Optical audio to the receiver (Video2).
I can run the TV Optical audio output to the SA-CD Optical input on the receiver for video games and other sources. It's messy, but it'll work. The only bad part is retraining the wife. :D

DD5.1 not active over HDMI?!? What the hell were they thinking?
You must have a receiver that does HDMI switching...I unfortunately don't. I can do component switching on DVD and "Video 2" but that's it. I also have a limited number of digital audio inputs...so...
:D

Although they say they use HDMI specs, they don't. Look at the name of the connector. It says HDTV not HDMI.

I dohave switching capabilities, but it is set to disabled. I have two HDMI inputs on the receiver and two into the TV.

BR and HDDVD into HDMI 1 and 2 on the receiver and out to TV HDMI input1.
622 Optical and component to receiver and out component to TV (Could switch but don't)
622 HDMI straight to HDMI input2 on TV. Not everything needs 5.1.

S~

Although they say they use HDMI specs, they don't. Look at the name of the connector. It says HDTV not HDMI.

Man, I wish people would stop messin' with it. It's no wonder that people are confused about the technology...like how most people think a widescreen TV is High-Definition or most people think that in 2009 all TV will be HD...no, all TV will be digital, not necessarily HD. It's just frustrating when companies mess with our heads. ;)

Not everything needs 5.1.

True, but I would have been sorely upset the first time I watched a DD5.1 movie over dish and my sound went dead. Guess I'll just have to wire all video to the TV and all sound to the receiver. My current setup has the receiver switching audio and video (all composite/S-video) which is nice and neat. Oh well, in 5+ years when the receiver needs to be replaced again, I can go Vid-crazy then.

If you have never connected a cable to it, then odds are that it is still working. The weight of the cable hanging from the connector is believed to be a contributing factor to the failure.

So, maybe I'll buy an HDMI cable and a roll of duct tape - HDMI forever, EH!

Has anyone considered that there might be two modes of failure; one fixable via software, the other a hardware based issue?

My failure was fixed via software; but if it's the connector that's failing no software will solve that.

Cheers,

S~

Actually, the Bravo D1 has a code you can key in to turn off the Macrovision and allow upscaling. They have a fresh crop of them at NewEgg for about $35. The D1 also allows for pixelmapping over the DVI port to the native resolution of your HiDef display - perfect for projectors.

Actually, the Bravo D1 has a code you can key in to turn off the Macrovision and allow upscaling. They have a fresh crop of them at NewEgg for about $35. The D1 also allows for pixelmapping over the DVI port to the native resolution of your HiDef display - perfect for projectors.

Wow, a D1 for $35. Far cry from the original $200. Of course, this was one of the first puppies to hit the market with digital video out.

It also has one of the crappiest drive units I've ever seen. Sometimes can't read single layer home burns, and can never read double layers.

At lease the drive is standard IDE and relatively easy to replace.

Well the bug got me this morning. I've had E* for a total of 5 weeks now. This morning while in the middle of watching the news my picture went out and the "no signal" popped up. Played with it a few minutes and then rebooted the 622. After going through all the gyrations my picture comes back on perfect. I say "whew" shut the door on my entertainment cabinet and poof, it's gone again. Rebooted again and nothing.

Now I call E* and the CSR ask me what I am connected with. I tell him an HDMI cable and he immediately starts telling me about the problems some TV's are having with that type of connection and particularly the VISIO. I tell him I have the Samsung 4095D and he has me disconnect the HDMI at the TV and the receiver and then reconnect them. No help.

The whole conversation didn't last more than 5 minutes when he pops up and says they are going to send me a new unit. He said some of the older 622's have a software problem. They just put the stupid unit in 5 weeks ago. How old could it be??

Luckily I still have my component hookup and to tell you the truth I see no difference in component vs HDMI. JMHO.

Well, I finally called Dish again last week concerning my 622's dead HDMI port (worked fine for several months before going completely dead one day). The last time I called (Oct last year) the CSR insisted that a software patch was being worked to correct the HDMI problem and that I should wait. The CSR I talked to last week didn't hesitate at all and shipped out a replacement 622 right away - arrived 3 days later! So, problem solved. I'm now glad I chose to lease rather than buy - had I bought mine it would have been out of the 1 year warranty window. Anyway, problem solved. No more dead HDMI port!

Cheers!
--Supercharged_Z06

Well, I finally called Dish again last week concerning my 622's dead HDMI port (worked fine for several months before going completely dead one day). The last time I called (Oct last year) the CSR insisted that a software patch was being worked to correct the HDMI problem and that I should wait. The CSR I talked to last week didn't hesitate at all and shipped out a replacement 622 right away - arrived 3 days later! So, problem solved. I'm now glad I chose to lease rather than buy - had I bought mine it would have been out of the 1 year warranty window. Anyway, problem solved. No more dead HDMI port!

Cheers!
--Supercharged_Z06

Don't depend on the new receiver to work forever. I am soon to be on my 3rd 211. Just called today because the HDMI input on my 2nd 211 went out after less than 6 months. My first 211 only lasted a few months.

Is this really a software problem or an improperly installed input problem? The CSR straight out told me they were told not to replace these receivers but he is sending me a new one and it should arrive in 2 days. I have a projector and need to run a 30' HDMI cable to the receiver. That cable was not cheap so there is no way I am going to a component cable. It wouldn't be cheap either. The CSR said they know this is a situation but said nothing as to their remedy. Maybe they think we will all give up and live with a broken receiver.

...I have a projector and need to run a 30' HDMI cable to the receiver. That cable was not cheap so there is no way I am going to a component cable. It wouldn't be cheap either. The CSR said they know this is a situation but said nothing as to their remedy. Maybe they think we will all give up and live with a broken receiver.
Support that cable at the back of the receiver. Don't let it droop. That downforce could be a lever, causing the connector pins on the PCB board to lift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts