Who is having problems with HDMI with 211/411/622

Last night the problem came back with my 622. Now all I had to do is bump the cabinet the receiver is sitting in and the signal would jump. Called tech support yesterday and was told it was a known SW problem and just use the component cables, he would not sent out a replacement. I Called back this mourning and when the tech suggested to use the component cables I said the picture quality is better with the HDMI, the truth, and wanted to use the HDMI for the better PQ. This time I got a RA number and the replacement is on the way.
Good for you! Another classic example of playing "techie roulette" to get results. Seems to always work for those who persevere...!

My receiver was put in a stack where it NEVER, and I mean never moved.

TWO have had failed HDMI connections. I am using a HDMI-DVI connector between by cable which is DVI on both ends (my HDTV only has a DVI input). Even so, it is goofy that it failed after about 6 weeks of use in both cases. One in March, One in September so temperature shouldn't have been a cause.... If it's software, why haven't they solved it yet?.... It's been 9 months......

From the way mine acted, I think it has more to do with thermal expansion inside the receiver. It would start up fine and after about a half hour the problems would start. Mine also was in a spot where it or the cables never moved. Plus the unit is only 10 inches of of the ground so there is very little pressure , if any, on the connection

My 622 worked fine for months and suddenly the next day, about 3-4 weeks ago, the HDMI stopped working. Everything else worked, so I switched to component but with a Samsung HL-S5687 1080P display I can feel a difference as well as losing connectivity. Cable swap and connection to up-converting HDMI DVD+R proved to me the 622 was bad. The working replacement only confirms this.

I called it in and they seemed to say they were sending a replacement. Didn't arrive. Finally called again and this time I got an RA number, important. Two days later it arrives and I was working hard to get all the recordings to DVD--had to leave a few un-copied. Now if it was just not noisier than the old one.

Wish there were a USB copy out of the settings as I had about 55 timers and a lot of favorites. Those pale compared to the recordings, of course.

-Ken

Perhaps it's time for a follow-up post.

Original:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=646910&postcount=107

So now I have two 622s purchased 8 months ago. I resoldered one pin on one, and the other hasn't failed. Repair was 4-5 months ago.

I've losened the HDMI mounting screw on both units and am careful to minimize tweaking the cable around (though the cleaning girl can get a bit ruff).

I still believe the tension on the solder joints is being caused by the mounting of the port to the back panel combined with thermal stress. It's not gonna matter if you ever touch it.

BobMurdoch, I believe that your boxes would do better with the screws losened.

I'd like to hear from others who tried a fix? If I remember, some resoldered, some losened the screw, and one put a spacer between the screw and the back panel (though it was after failure, and he didn't resolder).

I gotta think we'll be seeing boxes with redesigned connectors VERY soon.

BobM - I think Blizz has the answer. It's not the temp. itself but rather the inevitable temp. cycling that "exercizes" the stressed components, like the HDMI socket leads, until one eventually fails. Then the expansion on warm-up that Blizz mentioned can come into play. Even tho' the 622 is "on" constantly, there is a quite range of internal temps. under various conditions. I have measured this during my Broadcom chip over-temp. mitigation trials, a project I never completed. (Maybe now that we're into the winter months...)

David_L has one solution - loosen the HDMI socket's mounting bolt on the chassis to relieve a lot of the tension transferred to the PCB connections. You still need to be careful about socket movement and unsupported weight, however. If I were you I'd ditch that cable with the adapter and get a HDMI to DVI cable...

I've got a 12 ft. DVI cable that set me back $100 when I first got it, so I tried to reuse it. Don't feel like shelling out more cabbage for something that probably won't solve the problem anyway....

At this point I'm just living with the component video connection until the next generation shows up and they hopefully fix this thing....

My father has his hooked up to a 32" Bravia (his 622 is on top of his dresser, so no heat buildup issues) and his still works fine after 9 months..... yeah, I know I just jinxed him....

Dedicated HDMI-HDMI cable for him....

I'm not sure about the thermal cycling. Under many conditions, where a unit might cool to room temp and then go up 50 to 60 degrees when in operation, the 622's never get that cool. The low temp readout from my 622's diagnostics is 100, with a high temp of 120. So that's only 20 degrees from min to max.

It could be a contributing factor, but it shouldn't be. Because the equipment never really cools down.

A 113 to 140 range with an average of 129 is VERY high. Do you have it in an enclosed cabinet with little ventilation? I think your chances of having equipment failures over the long term is much higher than average.

The front of the cabinet is enclosed but the back is open and I have a small fan blowing in there. I have put the fan so it blows right in the box but it has always ran high

My replacement vip211 works fine so far with the software that was "out of the box" and also works fine with the new software that was loaded on with activation..... Its internal hardware failure, nothing more.

Y'all have got me worried now. I just signed up for dish and plan to use my HDMI cable. I haven't been installed yet (coming Saturday) so I haven't seen the receiver, but I believe I'm getting a 622. Does it make sense to "prop" something under the cable where it fixes to the receiver to just slightly lift it so as to completely alleviate any downward force the weight of the cable might have on the outside, thus alleviating the board on the inside trying to pull the pins off?

Y'all have got me worried now. I just signed up for dish and plan to use my HDMI cable. I haven't been installed yet (coming Saturday) so I haven't seen the receiver, but I believe I'm getting a 622. Does it make sense to "prop" something under the cable where it fixes to the receiver to just slightly lift it so as to completely alleviate any downward force the weight of the cable might have on the outside, thus alleviating the board on the inside trying to pull the pins off?

It can't hurt to minimize the cable twisting the connector. But, since the connector is screwed into the back of the chassis I really don't think the cable has much effect (in my opinion it's the chassis screw creating the pressure).

Please remember, this is mostly speculation.

Don't make yourself too crazy over it. Just enjoy what you have. I'd guess we'll be seeing a redesigned 622 soon (E* just can't keep replacing boxes forever).

Well it finally happened, the HDMI went out on my 211. First green screen, than nothing. The 211 is almost 1 year old. I called tech support & they offered to send out a replacement immediantly. Wow, no hassel.

It's too bad that more people aren't using the HDMI connectors. For if they were and Dish were replacing 60% or more of all 211s and 622s for bad HDMI connectors, then they'd have to fix the manufacturing problem.

Maybe I'll buy an HDMI cable just to see.

But my 622 has been excellent since I got it in February ("B" series).

Nevermind component is great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts