OTHER Who Knows The Satlook FTA Meter ?

sub101uk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
london
I was about to reset up my corotor this afternoon using my Satlook FTA and find there is zero power coming out of the F connector on the unit . This unit has been fitted with a new battery and the display looks fine but there is NO Power coming out of the F connector on the unit .

I fully understand this unit has is short-circuit protected is there any thing inside the unit that needs resetting ? I have looked for a schematic but there is nothing on the internet except the manual . Any thoughts from any one since this unit is 25 years old it maybe very hard even to find a schematic .

So you turn the unit on and you can see this in the display so there is power . Am I missing some thing as far as I remember you connect the LNB to the sat look and it should show you a signal but without power from the sat look there is nothing .

Attachments

• Sat Look With signal.JPG
    Sat Look With signal.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 213
  • Sat Look with new battery.jpg
    Sat Look with new battery.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 207
Sorry a33 yes I am very desperate ! , Its a very simply problem but for the last 2 months its been a up hill battle .

The job in hand is to change out a corotor + feed arms but from having O rings , screws , elbows and seized solid nuts and bolts now I find that my satlook is not working so just wondering is it worth repairing or just replacing it .

So am I desperate YES !

parallelthreads on 3 (or even more?) forums at the same time (without mentioning that).
Are you so desperate?????
Sorry a33 yes I am very desperate ! , Its a very simply problem but for the last 2 months its been a up hill battle .

The job in hand is to change out a corotor + feed arms but from having O rings , screws , elbows and seized solid nuts and bolts now I find that my satlook is not working so just wondering is it worth repairing or just replacing it .

So am I desperate YES !
I don't see a problem with asking questions on more than one forum if you have access to them. Until recently the only sat forum I used was Satellite Guys. Not everyone is a member of every sat forum so posting on more than one may get you the info you need. ;)

Thanks FTA4PA I dont see any thing wrong with asking in other forums as long as the topic is Satellite but there you go . But this afternoon I was about to finishing the project with the new feed arms and corotor but now I find the satlook is not working . So its back to waiting again , But I will strip the satlook down tomorrow and try and find why no power ?

Since this meter is about 20 years old it might be a case of replacing it unless I can find someone who might know the problem since there is no schematic and I dont even know if Emitor is still trading .

Attachments

• Top view of Battery .-min.jpg
    Top view of Battery .-min.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 203
The output is switchable between 13/18Vdc, but I don't recall an option to disable the LNB power.

Alternately, provide power to the LNB with a STB set on Horizontal (18Vdc) via a power passing splitter (combiner) and read the signal with the Satlook.

I haven't seen your post elsewhere, so I would not have seen it if it hadn't been posted here.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thanks Titanium , Yes this is my thoughts if you press button 8 you can switch from 13v - 18v but your right the f connector is live with power but I am getting zero , Tomorrow I will open it up and see if I can trace were the power has gone but working blind as no drawings .

Thanks FTA4PA I dont see any thing wrong with asking in other forums as long as the topic is Satellite but there you go . But this afternoon I was about to finishing the project with the new feed arms and corotor but now I find the satlook is not working . So its back to waiting again , But I will strip the satlook down tomorrow and try and find why no power ?

Since this meter is about 20 years old it might be a case of replacing it unless I can find someone who might know the problem since there is no schematic and I dont even know if Emitor is still trading .
You're welcome. Looks like a nice meter - hope you can figure out the problem. :)

I don't see a problem with asking questions on more than one forum if you have access to them.

The posting itself is no problem, indeed. :)

But nettiquette says it's decent to mention that you are running parallelthreads, and maybe even post links to the parallelthreads, so that everyone can have access to the other posts.
When you have just spent your precious volunteer time to type an answer or advice, that has already been given on another forum, or has in the meantime proved irrelevant by information given on the other forum, you ask yourself: "Why in ** name didn't he link the other thread?!?"

As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea of a forum is that everyone can participate, that everyone has the same information, and that everyone can follow the whole process from start to end.
The fact that the problem is being discussed in another forum I find very relevant info indeed. So that possible double work, or useless work, by volunteer members is avoided.

Maybe parallelthreads or not an issue on this forum, yet.
And parallelthreads will never be an issue, I think, when they are mentioned and/or linked. The nettiquette rule is there for a reason...

greetz,
A33

My God !!! All I wanted to know if there was any body who knew any thing about SatLook meters I did not come here for a Debate ! I came here for information .

But you are right about one thing a33 " The posting its self is no problem "

My God !!! All I wanted to know if there was any body who knew any thing about SatLook meters I did not come here for a Debate ! I came here for information .

Well, I just reacted to FTA4PA, and mentioned a nettiquette rule. Don't want to debate you, or FTA4PA, for that matter.

I hope you get the help you need.

Greetz,
A33

Sorry Greetz I think its best we move on .I think in future it maybe best to pm me as if any rules had been broken I am sure admin would PM me .

Back to my Satlook well after speaking with all the other owners of Satlooks there should be 13v or 18v on the f connector it does have a short-circuit protection which is were I think the problem is however to comfirm this I need a schematic . Due to the age of this unit not sure if its going to be best to repair or replace but I have contacted Emitor but the last thing I want to be doing is up a 10 foot step ladder trying to set up my corotor when the meter dont work !! .

But nettiquette says it's decent to mention that you are running parallelthreads, and maybe even post links to the parallelthreads, so that everyone can have access to the other posts.
There is no such netiquette. The OP has done nothing wrong and perhaps the proper etiquette would to not be so critical of someone simply asking for help.

When you have just spent your precious volunteer time to type an answer or advice, that has already been given on another forum, or has in the meantime proved irrelevant by information given on the other forum, you ask yourself: "Why in ** name didn't he link the other thread?!?"

As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea of a forum is that everyone can participate, that everyone has the same information, and that everyone can follow the whole process from start to end.
The fact that the problem is being discussed in another forum I find very relevant info indeed. So that possible double work, or useless work, by volunteer members is avoided.

Maybe parallelthreads or not an issue on this forum, yet.
And parallelthreads will never be an issue, I think, when they are mentioned and/or linked. The nettiquette rule is there for a reason...

greetz,
A33
I get it - links to posts made about it on other sites might be helpful even if others are not members at those sites. Not picking a fight, my only issue is Satellite Guys prides itself on being accepting and welcoming and your reply just seemed a little heavy-handed to a newer member. Hope we can all get back to helping each other. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: a33
What happened here guys! Staying at home too much?!
Let's discuss the topic of the thread and not internet politics. ;)

Well I have been speaking to Sven Nylund who is one of the tec guys at Emitor and he confirms they still have a few spares left for the MKIV as it would be a shame to scrap it , However any one got any recommendations for a replacement .

Well I have been speaking to Sven Nylund who is one of the tec guys at Emitor and he confirms they still have a few spares left for the MKIV as it would be a shame to scrap it , However any one got any recommendations for a replacement .

Here's a fairly recent thread that might give you some ideas: