Who wants a Dell Mini 5?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Getting close?

Leaked Dell Streak flyer shows multitude of color options, confirmed specifications -- Engadget

dellmini5leakmain.jpg

It has essentially Nexus One specs with a bigger screen (size, not resolution). Runs Android.

I'd be really interested in a device like this if it had a few options in terms of OS...

Diogen.

Sure, if you want to give me one... :)

The biggest piece of news to come out of the Mini 5 is at least one of the ads for it seemed to suggest a Kindle app -- and thus Kindle for Android must be pretty close.
But I have no more need for an Android tablet then a ipad.

THAT said, I can see huge potential for a market for an android tablet - based just on that thread I posted about DARPA seeking mission critical apps for use by the military.

While I am sure the military would want a reinforced - heavy duty tablet - and not a commercial Dell product, just think about the potential market for a tablet if you KNOW the military is interested in using it in the field.

I'll wait 'till the announcement is made whether WinPhone 7 will run on it.
It seems to have the right 3 buttons (why HTC HD2 won't run). And reportedly has HDMI out!

Now add the HTC version of Android (Sense), standard Android and maybe Intel/Nokia Linux (MeeGo) and my hands will be all over it...:)

Forget about phone, it will be the best PDA ever!

Diogen.

I'd find a use for one if it was like $99.

Dell Minis 10s are pretty cheap as-is, hard to imagine this being $200 when you can get a full netbook for near that price.

Shoot, for $99 get me a bracket to mount one on the fridge, make an app to control my thermostat to replace those too, next thing you know the house has an internet capable 5 inch screen around every corner, welcome to the future.

This is one of 50+ android based tablets being released this year. Competition will be nice for us all.

Yeah, I just don't see the attraction at that high of a price. I'd love a portable web browser/video viewer bigger than mydroid, but looks like I'll be waiting until after the early adopter taxes subside a bit.

I'd find a use for one if it was like $99.

Dell Minis 10s are pretty cheap as-is, hard to imagine this being $200 when you can get a full netbook for near that price.

Shoot, for $99 get me a bracket to mount one on the fridge, make an app to control my thermostat to replace those too, next thing you know the house has an internet capable 5 inch screen around every corner, welcome to the future.

This is one of 50+ android based tablets being released this year. Competition will be nice for us all.

I already have this I can control everything from my iPad my thermostat my lights door locks and fireplace all from my iPad and 5inch screens where my light switches are supposed to be.

Sent from iPad

Given the price of the 5", that 10 could end up being $800
Unless it has really outstanding specs, it should be less than the iPad.
And considering it's more than 6 month away, I wouldn't bet it will be released.

I believe Dell, just like every other potential tablet maker, wants to see signs of the 10" form factor actually having a market.
The smaller 5" can play the phone/GPS/PDA/etc. card that is established...

Just rumors...
Remember, just weeks before the iPad was released, WSJ published a "leak" that it will be around $900.
I believe this was the best strategic move Apple orchestrated...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts