Whole house distribution problem

hokie94

Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
I want to be able to watch any video signal in my house from any TV. I will soon have 3 E* receivers, and a camera in the baby's room. My setup is similar to the one found here http://www.hometech.com/learn/dss2.gif with 2 receivers and the camera modulated.

My problem is the following:
I have two runs of cable going to 2 of the 3 locations where there is a dish receiver. One cable is used for the satellite signal/combined modulated signal, while the other is used to send the modulated signal back to the combiner. I'm trying to figure out, and understand how I can make this work for the third location that only has one run of cable. I don't have the option to put in a second run. Based on the above wiring diagram, I should be able to send the modulated signal through the diplexers. The question is what happens on the other end. In my mind the signal needs to go through the combiner, to combine other modulated signals, then the splitter to split that signal out to all locations. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this with just the one run of cable. Would I need a third diplexer in this run? Is this even feasible?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I want to be able to watch any video signal in my house from

"I don't have the option to put in a second run. "

If you cant run more coax I think you may be out of luck. I use a Channel Plus modulator and a RCA selector box to get video to the whole house. Many coax runs, but works great.

First thing that comes to my mind in that situation is to locate the third recever in the home run area(where your diplexor and spliiter is) and use a UHF remote.

Otherwise you can always ad a pair of diplexors, one at the home run and one by the third sat reciever in your new room, and nixing the modulator feedback for that room. With this option you would have that reveiver isolated to the third room, but would still be able to see the other room modulated signals there. The only drawback would be you would not be able to see the third room sat in other rooms.

Hope this helps

TheaterWizard said:
First thing that comes to my mind in that situation is to locate the third recever in the home run area(where your diplexor and spliiter is) and use a UHF remote.

This is what I do with my 4900, I feed the modulated output of my multi room out into the antenna in, and since the 4900 has a UHF remote it's good to go with one cable drop from the 4900 to my bedroom TV

its all in the diplexers

There is a way to do this and is not hard to do but hard to explain. If you want I could draw it on paper and scan or fax it to you. but here is how it is done.

1. at the receiver location you take the modulated output to the 2 port side of a two way splitter.
2. the other side of the 2 way splitter will have your local broadcast channels plus your camera on it and it should go to your tv
3. connect the single port side of the splitter to the antenna side of the diplexer.

the receiver is now done, now for where your distribution location.

1. The line coming from the receiver should first the single port side of a diplexer.
2. The antenna side of the diplexer goes into the single port side of a 2way splitter.
3. Out of the 2way splitter one leg will goto you distribution splitter where you get you locals and you camera.
4. The other leg of the 2way will the splitter where you combined the camera and the locals.
5. The satellite side will goto the line going out to your satellite dish.

I do this all the time but you must have a distribution amp to keep the signals up to give you a good picture

let me know if you need the drawing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts