Why are you still buying AZboxes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The AZBox is not a perfect box, but it does what it does well and is the only box I know of which does all that is does.

Thats why I use an AZBox. :)

Price is about $505 plus shipping from satshop.tv/AzBox-HD-Premium-Plus-PVR-Linux-
Unknowns are Blind Scanning speeds and High Bit Rate recording ability.
Support, about 1 firmware per week.
Blindscan seems to be working well as reported, high bitrate is still buggy.

I'll rather wait for a NA dealer to carry it for warranty repairs in case. I am also waiting for reviews of the Sonysat Vu+ Duo receiver, set to arrive in the spring;)

cut costs?

OK, I hear you guys loud and clear.
You want DVB-S2 BLIND SCAN and 4:2:2. :)

The one thing -some- might be willing to fore-go, seems to be the PVR capability.
Personally, I'd never give that up, as I rely on it all the time.
Others just want -everything- in their package, whether they use it or not.
But, if you read the forums, some really don' t seem to care so much.
They just want to watch live TV.

The disc drive interface is probably not much of a cost item.
The extra power supply and cooling might be, if you allow internal drives.
External drives may be part of the throughput problem (?).
But the firmware -does- seem to be a stumbling block.
Focusing on -all- the other features and ignoring PVR features, might mean getting a product debugged and to market faster.

Well, it's worth running up the flag pole. - :rolleyes:

If you're talking about the Azbox here, I'd suggest going directly to the store web page, instead of EBAY.

Where exactly? What store web page?

Thanks.

Nevermind... I was thinking store on "this page" meaning this site. You were talking about azboxusa.com though right?

Yes, that's were I got mine a while back when he had over stock Elites. $239 delivered

Right. azboxusa . They have been about 255 for the past week or so, which almost tempted me to get a 2nd one. I think if I'd seen the 239, I would have bitten on that.

azboxusa informed me they would have the Premium Plus in about a week. no info on pricing.

Ironic that this is the thread that got me to bite the bullet and buy an AZBox finally.

By the way, on the AZBoxUSA website, if you choose "Paypay Direct" you enter your credit card information on AZBoxUSA's site. That is a unsecured page... It is http, not https. This means that your credit card number is being sent plain-text across the internet. The other method of payment, where you get re-directed to paypal, *is* secure, so I suggest people do that.

eh it does blind scan if you know the symbol rate ;)

Which is actually a very nice feature. I'd like to see them keep that ability and add a good blindscan.:)

I wish all receivers would let you set a certain SR if you wanted to when blindscanning

Which is actually a very nice feature. I'd like to see them keep that ability and add a good blindscan.:)

I wish all receivers would let you set a certain SR if you wanted to when blindscanning

Yeah, I agree. Although for high SR signals, I do something like that to quickly find active feeds using the shortwave SR method. Ie, set my shortwave say on 29860 or 29270 or 30000, or whatever SR you're looking for, then I switch through the channels on my analog receiver and listen for the quieting on the shortwave. It typically takes me less than 30 seconds to find all the active transponders on the sat I'm on, since those wide SR signals are generally centered in the transponder.

Pedro, you disappoint me my friend!

I must punish you very harshly for this betrayal of the AZBox! :eek:

I'm just kidding of course. But, I do hope that you realize that OpenSAT is relying upon the end users to help them correct their errors with the AZBox and make it a better product for the future. Other boxes and manufacturers may be ahead of them, but we can shorten the gap with our help.

I have always been high spirited in regarding FTA as a hobby, and not an affair of perfect order. I think that if I had expected the same quality and consistency in FTA that a person could get from DN or DirecTV by paying them, I would have given up long ago. But, I do not give up and every new problem is a challange and an exciting adventure for me.

I hope that you do understand me. I expect very little, therefore I am rarely dissappointed. But, I am also an optimist, so I am always happy with everything that confronts me.

Have fun Pedro! ;)

RADAR

I kinda see your point Radar but AZ in their desperation came to America to help them out on sales but don't seem to listen. They are probably the first ethernet linux box to appeal to the FTA in the US but I don't think they are the greatest and their build quality especially on the tuner and dom sockets is poor

Sorry guys but I have to tell you Dreamboxes can do 4:2:2, in Europe we have been watching the football feeds on them for years. :up

Yeah, I agree. Although for high SR signals, I do something like that to quickly find active feeds using the shortwave SR method. Ie, set my shortwave say on 29860 or 29270 or 30000, or whatever SR you're looking for, then I switch through the channels on my analog receiver and listen for the quieting on the shortwave. It typically takes me less than 30 seconds to find all the active transponders on the sat I'm on, since those wide SR signals are generally centered in the transponder.

I don't have a shortwave or, a baseband output on my analog receiver and probably wouldn't know what to do with it if I did:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts