Why can I get one and not the other?

slappy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Good day all,

I've posted here sporadically, and after chatting with some of you, came to a quick idea that I live in the middle of nowhere in south central rural Ohio, and need to be content with the few channels that I can pull in. :)

That said, any thoughts why I (on most days) can manage to pull in WVAH (Fox) out of Huntington/Charleston, but have never been able to pull in WCHS (ABC) from the same market? They appear to be on the same tower, are both UHF, and are broadcasting at the same power levels.

I'm not losing any sleep over this, but it just seems odd to me.

Thanks for any insight!

-Ryan

I'm gonna guess that since WVAH is on RF channel 19 and WCHS is on RF channel 41, that the much lower frequency in use on 19 has better penetration of obstacles (buildings, foliage, etc.) than the higher frequency on 41. There are days I can receive WTTK (RF 29) and can't receive WXIN (RF 45) even though I'm in the same spot and the stations are on the same tower.

yeah we need a tvfool report

but you are right...they are same height, same tower, same power. But its possible one doesnt have enough signal where you are especially if you are "in the middle of nowhere"
I had the same issues when I lived at the lake house and tried to get Minneapolis which was 93 miles away. If the stations had same stuff (tower, loc, power) the lower the RF station, the more frequent is was there.

Thanks for the input, everyone. The answers to most of your questions are available here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/improving-my-reception-or-just-out-of-luck.326334/

Actually, just realized the old TVFool data from that thread expired, so if anyone's curious, here's an updated link: http://tinyurl.com/j5ydjgc

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm only able to get a handful of channels. I was mostly just curious why, all things considered *mostly* equal, I could get one station and not the other... which I now know is probably because of the difference in the RF stations.

Have a great day,
Ryan

I am having the same issue I can p/u wrdq perfectly all the time but the main ABC wftv is intermittent. I only have a 50 mile indoor antenna so I guess I should be happy what i receive. Could it be an issue of bandwidth having 2 main channels and 4 sub channels?
Radar-Digital.png

Could it be an issue of bandwidth having 2 main channels and 4 sub channels?
Don't see that as an issue. The issue is the one you don't get reliably is 1 edge and weaker that the other. ( which is also LOS )
I only have a 50 mile indoor antenna
What make / model? Are you getting all the stations within 50 miles?
If WFTV is desired I think I'd put a 30-2425 - HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna In that attic, or on the roof, aimed to the SSW.

With that antenna, I am getting a channel, 4.1 thru 4.10 (Real ch 38) @ 64 miles with the signal indicator showing 100% 24/7, Also 1 edge, over the horizon. Yeah, it's ~30 ft above ground.

I can't use the amplifier because the antenna runs through a hdhomerun network tuner
Don't understand. That should be capable. Antenna>>power inserter>>HDHomerun If you're not powering that antenna it's nothing but LOSS.
Is channel 20 a mini tower? Wiki lists it as a transponder.
mini tower, transponder? It's a translator. Rabbitears coverage MAPS. (Real Channel 20 and 39) Ch 20 is the smaller inner contour,

You MAY figure out which one, REAL Ch20 or Real Ch 39, by selecting channel 20 and see if it comes in and ID's as Ch 9.x Try again by entering channel 39. (just enter two digits) One or the other, maybe both, will come in as channel 9.x. Your TV's display the virtual channel, 9. true??
39 is LOS, 20 is 1 edge. Maybe your tv ignored 39 because it already scanned in 9.x already on 20 ?????