Why Canadian is the way to go.

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I decided to write this because a friend visited today and was inquiring as to why in the world I would have Canadian TV.

First of all….The Movie Network is HBO, Showtime, and Starz all rolled up into one when it comes to movies. They also show the majority of the HBO and Showtime original series. If you look at the price of the Movie Network, which includes the channels Dish Network refers to as the “superstations pack” you will see that $19 CAD is a very good price. With BellExpressvu you will also get The Movie Network HD and MPIX HD, a channel that’s a lot like Encore, included in your subscription.

Secondly, time shifting……In Canada, they don’t have these rules about you can receive channels that are outside your area. With both Bell you can receiver all the networks, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, both East and West feeds, in HD! You will also receive WGN-9 Chicago, a WB affiliate, in HD; I don't think Dish and Direct offer WB in HD. The Canadian networks are also included. You will also get the Treasure and Oasis channels in the pack; these are full-time HD content channels.

For the previously mentioned channels, you will have to pay an extra $10 CAD. (You might have to pay an extra $1 to have both East and West feeds) The Discovery HD Channel is available for an additional fee. If you subscribe to the sports bundle, you get TSN in HD also.

Thirdly, NO DVR FEES! I really find it extremely unfair that the American satellite companies charge those DVR fees.

Fourthly, A-LA-CARTE . In Canada, you have to subscribe to a basic package, which you do not have to do with Dish Network, and you can add the bundles you want. No more having to add $10 to your bill because you want one channel!

Fifthly,…Unedited movies. This is what I mean…If you’re watching a movie on USA Network and they say “the F word”, USA will edit it out. In Canada, they just leave it as-is, most of the time. So, if you’re watching a move on Canadian TV at night, it, more than likely, will be original content. I have seen them edit a few during that day.

Sixthly…Canadian TV Shows… There are a few Canadian TV shows that I like.

Can anyone think of anything else? I know I used Expressvu over Star Choice, but, I just wanted to use the HD comparison.

7. Cheaper NFL ST with complete HD included

8. NHL CI on Bell this past year included 200-225 HD games.

9. No additional receiver fee (Bell) or cheaper additional receiver fee (SC) than DTV or Dishnet.

Well my experience is not so with Bell expressvue, one they treat you unfairly, for example changing satellite so that you cannot view half the transponders, pair I think since I am in Canada now back down south in Florida you cannot capture those so nmissing many channels, second starchoice do not hesitate to connect you down in Florida knowingly that you are there and not in Canada. I personally will change to StarChoice next winter when I go Back down, you are treated like gentleman by them. If Bell knows that you are picking up the signal they will cancel your service.

I agree. Bell is a great deal for those south of the border, I don't see how I went so long without it! :)

jeep90469 said:
Well my experience is not so with Bell expressvue, one they treat you unfairly, for example changing satellite so that you cannot view half the transponders, pair I think since I am in Canada now back down south in Florida you cannot capture those so nmissing many channels, second starchoice do not hesitate to connect you down in Florida knowingly that you are there and not in Canada. I personally will change to StarChoice next winter when I go Back down, you are treated like gentleman by them. If Bell knows that you are picking up the signal they will cancel your service.
Yes, Bell is not the way to go for those who cannot receiver all transponders. Of course, SC will connect you, but, if you like HD and DVR, SC sucks! It's not unfair that they changed the transponders....they reduced rainfade for Canadians, they don't care about the few subs they have in the USA!!

Last edited:
miguelaqui said:
IFourthly, A-LA-CARTE . In Canada, you have to subscribe to a basic package, which you do not have to do with Dish Network, and you can add the bundles you want. No more having to add $10 to your bill because you want one channel!

This is really a bogus statement.

If I could, i would subscribe to HD only........but you cannot do that.

It's ala carte after you sub to their big base package.

For example, the $19 HD Movie package you speak of runs upwards of $45 if you only want that...but you must buy the $25 base package first.

HDTVFanAtic said:
This is really a bogus statement.

If I could, i would subscribe to HD only........but you cannot do that.

It's ala carte after you sub to their big base package.

For example, the $19 HD Movie package you speak of runs upwards of $45 if you only want that...but you must buy the $25 base package first.
BOGUS...I said.... "In Canada, you have to subscribe to a basic package" it was in there!! Had I not mentioned that the basic package, the statement would have been bogus, but I did, so it is not a bogus statement.

Last edited:
What if you are a Canadian who is a full-time resident in Florida; you give them a Canadian address, despite their knowing you do not reside in Canada and you give them a Canadian address (relative's address, etc.)? Will they shut you off?

I am referring to Star Choice.

:confused:

You will be OK as long as:
1) only 1 or 2 receivers
2) Receivers are not/never have been activated for PPV
3) Do not plug into telephone outlet

After you are up and going, go to SC website. Setup an account password and opt for paperless billing. Then you can go to website each month, see your bill and pay by credit card. You can also do programming changes there, but it takes 24 to 48 hours to take effect as opposed to instantly by phone.

I love my Bell system. The 4 US networks in hd, plus I get CBC, TSN, WGN, and Sportsnet in HD. I watched alot of the NHL Playoffs on CBC HD and it was great. Between my Directv and Bell systems i get to watch alot of sports in HD.

you can have ppv with *C, set it up with the telephone service fee is $1.00. that is what I have done *c does not care if you call from usa to change services etc I have done it numerous times, i also have auto pay w credit card e- paperless billing. Also if you have a windsor ontario address you do not get sim-subbed.

I wouldn't just "make up" an address. Make sure its semi-legit :)

and yes you could get set up and be on auto cc pay. I go through a broker but am on auto cc pay :D

My reasons for Canadian TV (in really no order)

-CBC (Hockey Night in Canada)
-TSN (again, hockey. They also have WWE Raw & the CFL)
-US Nets from the west coast if you want them..no qualifying required :)
-NHL Network
-Showcase for Trailer Park Boys
-most everything is unedited (especially Trailer Park Boys) :)
-poormans NFL ST...Global holds the rights to NFL in Canada so they have games on their different stations. So I can see 5-6 games (or more) a weekend on Global
-NFL ST is cheaper than the US counterpart (because there is COMPETITION for it in Canada)

not really anymore but the conversion rate was good

I liked Star Choice too!!

I just wanted to add that I had *C, however, I am spoiled to the Echsotar DVR. I had an ExpressVu PVR for 2 years, then switched to *C. The *C DVR was not as nice and more expensive.
The truth is, I would pay about $20/month less for *C also!!

I just used Expressvu as my example because I am extremely impressed with the HD lineup...*C had a wonderful picture on HD, there were just fewer channels.

If *C would get a decent HD DVR, I would go back in a heartbeat!!

Iceberg is right about the conversion rate. I have had Bell for a little over a year and my cc payment keeps inching up. I love the west coast network feeds and being a Boston sports fan, I get all the dirt with the news from Boston. The only thing I was disappointed in was Sportsnet was not allowed to show any hockey in HD. Ithought that sucked. Leave it to Gary Bettman to screw that up.

yes, do not make up an address, you can find an address by going to a Canadian rental property website. Brokers use your home telephone number and replace the area code with a Canadian one where the broker is located. you can do the same.

jeep90469 said:

It is not their fault that you moved outside their transponder range. They are a Canadian service. They do not and don't say, they will take US customers. If you moved to Florida, tough for you. Cancel service.

That is like being mad at Dish Network when you move to Alaska and the service changes. Not their fault.

bgilga said:
Iceberg is right about the conversion rate. I have had Bell for a little over a year and my cc payment keeps inching up.
when I originally got Canadian TV it was 68 cents on the dollar..(3 years ago)...now its what 90 or so? What was funny is the day my CC would be billed the conversion rate always seemed to be the highest :)

The only thing I was disappointed in was Sportsnet was not allowed to show any hockey in HD. Ithought that sucked. Leave it to Gary Bettman to screw that up.
I wish they could show more hockey period on SPortsnet. They have that agreement to show NBA games and different MLB games with no blackouts. Why does hockey? (I know the reason is regional but why can't they show more games)??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts