Why Canadian is the way to go.

HDTVFanAtic said:
I'll learn French 1) once the spellcheck does and 2) Once you learn basic English as to what "our gov't won't let them" and the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution (not to mention the entire democratic process) mean.

1. Another good thing about the Canadian satellite is that you get those French channels. I had forgotton to include that! I had Super-Ecran, at one time, but, I decided to go with TMN because it was annoying for the lips not to match what the people were saying. I still enjoy listening to the TVA news, from time to time. Also, on SERIES +, I was able to watch the first season of Nip Tuck, as well as many other series.

2. I did restate.." Maybe I should have said, 'The gov't allows channels to insist that they be included in certain packages, therefore programming providers have no choice'." I was just trying to simplify the situation before. I wasn't trying to state an opinion, as that would be off the topic...I just thought I would make a simple statement and not go into all that detail.

3. I'm sure that the French language channels would help anyone who happens to be learning French....it sure helps me keep it up! If only they had more Spanish channels and Pro7(sieben).

Also, other channels that Dish charges more than EV does for channels such as TV5 and RAI...I'm sure there are others.

Last edited:
Derwin0 said:
Incorrect, otherwise there wouldn't be a required Digital Basic package.
But, isn't the Digital Basic like our must-carries and networks? Maybe, I should say, "Anything beyond basic national and local broadcast networks." Which, yes, that package costs about $11 per month from my local cable company. $25 is a bit much for just broadcast channels, but it is nice getting chanels from all those time zones!

Last edited:
miguelaqui said:
But, isn't the Digital Basic like our must-carries and networks?
Nope, Digital Standard for Expressvu includes things like YTV (Canadian version of Nick), Treehouse (Canadian version of Noggin), American Networks, and others that used to be in the Themes under the previous packaging (before Digital Standard was created and required).

Canada does not prohibit tiers, but the Canadian providers have just historically provided programming in Theme Blocks as opposed to Programming Tiers as they do in the States.

OK so which one is better? I'm looking for more HD channels. HOCKEY (must have leafs TV). And the trailer park boys. The movie channels don't do much for me. This will be for HD and hockey.

Is the Hustler channel any good?

The star choice basic hd receiver is 70 bucks less. $180 when you add the give aways. Pricing looks around $45 a month for either.

Last edited:
VIPERS-PIT said:
OK so which one is better? I'm looking for more HD channels. HOCKEY (must have leafs TV). And the trailer park boys. The movie channels don't do much for me. This will be for HD and hockey.

The star choice basic hd receiver is 70 bucks less. $180 when you add the give aways. Pricing looks around $45 a month for either.

I honestly think *C is your better choice, if you do not want HD and DVR. EV is a bit easier to install, but not a whole lot easier.

I'll PM you some info...Iceberg also can help you again.... ICEBERG SAYS NO BROKER POSTING HERE be careful!!!

VIPERS-PIT said:

More HD Channels - BEV - if you can pick it up.

Better Quality HD Channels and better coverage - SC.

As has been noted before BEV has 2x the HD Sports Channels as SC.

VIPERS-PIT said:
OK so which one is better? I'm looking for more HD channels. HOCKEY (must have leafs TV). And the trailer park boys.

Make sure that you get a Hamilton area address thru your broker in order to get Leafs TV.

You will actually get more hockey on SC than Expressvu without CI as SC does not blackout Ottawa Senators Thursday games on CHRO.

If you go with SC, select either Buffalo or Spokane for your US nets as Detroit/Seattle HD is included for all HD subs. If you select the Digital Advantage package, you can select both Spokane and Buffalo in order to get the best non Sunday Ticket NFL selection. (NFL Network is included with Digital Advantage)

VIPERS-PIT said:

if all you want is hockey leafstv and hustler id go with starchoice
with starchoice you get a package deal on hustler red light and playboy all channels for 25.00 per month i believe
its worth it
but it you want the most hd go bev but then no hustler tv, it up to you but i feel starchoice is better and i have both services

stone phillips420 said:
if all you want is hockey leafstv and hustler id go with starchoice
with starchoice you get a package deal on hustler red light and playboy all channels for 25.00 per month i believe
its worth it
but it you want the most hd go bev but then no hustler tv, it up to you but i feel starchoice is better and i have both services

The adult is not necessary, I want more HD but it has to be something worth watching and not available on D*.

stone phillips420 said:
go with starchoice they have all channel bev has for most part plus starchoice has fight network

Ive been leanning that way. The price diferance in the hardware is HUGE. and I hear it is easier to run SC in the US. My buddy lives in Toronto so I can use his address and phone number.

Adding Canadian satellite receiver to DirecTV dish.

I currently have a DirecTV phase III dish and receivers. Since DirecTV refuses to carry any French language programming, I am considering adding a Canadian satellite service receiver to my system. Which one will work on my current system,
StarChoice or ExpressVu?

I also have a 4x8 mux with cable/TV ant. input where I have five receivers already connected, so I would like to connect the Canadian receiver to one of the available output ports. As I mentioned, I really just want the French programming.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Either system will need its own dish as the satellites are located different area from direct.

I too, love Bell, imagine all E. & W. networks including PBS & WGN all for less than $30 a month, a bargain!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)