Why Canadian is the way to go.

What is the best "description" to put on the custom form as to not have any issues? Since relatives live about hour from border is it safer to have them drive across then just ship U.S mail?

More BEV Questions - My plan right now is to have family member in Canada switch to BEV which they wanted to anyway. In this case is it better to purchase the receiver or utlize the new all in one package? Any other things to know before I make this move?

311Man said:
More BEV Questions - My plan right now is to have family member in Canada switch to BEV which they wanted to anyway.
Account sharing is illegal. If only some of telephone lines on a multireceiver account are hooked up, it is only a matter of time before Bell calls to check to see if all the receivers are at the residence of the account phone number.

So in the case where many utilize BEV south of the border are they running accounts with only one receiver?

311Man said:
So in the case where many utilize BEV south of the border are they running accounts with only one receiver?
Some do.
I have a Canadian phone number (via Vonage) that goes with me whereever I am. Normally calls the Vonage line when in Pennsylvania, but is forwarded to my wife's cell phone when in Ontario.
So that lets me be safe with 3 recievers.

So how does that resolve the fact that you receivers are in PA most likely not hooked up to a phone line?

311Man said:
So how does that resolve the fact that you receivers are in PA most likely not hooked up to a phone line?

if they call the number on his account (the vonage number) it goes to him in the US (I am assuming this)

When I had EVu I had just one receiver

Is the overall opinion that having one of the receivers from a multi receiver account eventually will be turned off? A friend in Canada has BEV for sometime now and has three receivers and none of them are hooked up to phone lines. He has had no issues. How do the brokers handle all these issues? Do you brokers limit you to one receiver as well?

311Man said:

Some brokers will add up to two.

I've heard that Bell is worse about calling than Dish! I'm not sure. I had 3 receivers with Dish for a long time and never had one call, but, honestly, who would account share with Dish Latino only.

I wonder if the have the same policies of the receiver can never be added to that particular account again?

Last edited:
If I were to obtain a BEV system would the consensus be to go with one receiver. Utilize a relatives address (instead of needing the broker). Also does BEV allow people to install the system on there own? Since obviously there would be no need to have it installed originally at account address.

Appreciate all the feedback so far!!

311Man said:
If I were to obtain a BEV system would the consensus be to go with one receiver. Utilize a relatives address (instead of needing the broker). Also does BEV allow people to install the system on there own? Since obviously there would be no need to have it installed originally at account address.

Appreciate all the feedback so far!!
I've heard both, yes and no.
Here's the deal with brokers, some might disagree...
A broker calls in as the installer, meaning they get money from the install!!
If you get the stuff from a dealer who also does installs, I'm sure they would be happy to activate for you at the given address and keep the money for your "free install."

Iceberg said:
if they call the number on his account (the vonage number) it goes to him in the US (I am assuming this)
yep, plus the added benefit of saving my in-laws long distance fees.
And Bell doesn't even give me any grief anymore about not hooking them up to the phone line as I told them that parts of the Kirkland Lake area are party lines, and there was no way in hell I wanted one of those, and that it was never a good idea to hook a modem to one, so therefore I was cell only. The Bell rep. agreed, annotated my account, and even told me how to order PPV online :D

*note* parts of Kirkland Lake are party lines only (damn NorTel), so any verification would have validated my story. If the address you use in anywhere near Toronto, then this excuse would probably not work.

Last edited:
So what advise would everyone give to accomplish this: Want BEV for the hockey coverage. Don't have BEV equipment. (Have lots of relatives in the great white north). Have D* presently which I installed. So installation is not an issue.

311Man said:
So what advise would everyone give to accomplish this: Want BEV for the hockey coverage. Don't have BEV equipment. (Have lots of relatives in the great white north). Have D* presently which I installed. So installation is not an issue.
I'll PM you the info.

I would have to agree about liking Canadian TV more, either SC or Express-vu. You get the majority of channels/shows that you would on one of the US systems, PLUS all the Canadian originals etc. and of course for all the reasons already stated.
For those who are out of range to recieve certain transponders it may not be all good but again as already stated, those signals weren't intended to be picked up that far south.
I live on the Canada/US border (in Canada) and I guess I could easily subscribe to a US system but I really can't think of any compelling reason why. Except for maybe the DIY network...........but that's just a personal preference.
Either way, what we have now is way better than what we used to have......think about tv in Canada 20 years ago.............although then the majority of C-Band was in the clear............ahhhh the good ole' days.

How about the fact that on Thursday/Friday you cannot watch the PGA tournament in HD on TNT? I cannot understand why anyone who cares about sports would ever want to go with a Canadian provider. No ESPN, no ESPN2, no regional sports networks. What is sumulcast is simsubbed with insulting Canadian commercials. And the Canadian version of OLN doesnt even carry hockey!

I cannot understand why anyone who cares about sports would ever want to go with a Canadian provider. No ESPN, no ESPN2, no regional sports networks.

Shows how much you know
Well lets see...since those arent authorized for carriage in Canada there is other sports channels
There’s TSN (which is partially owned by ESPN), The Score, Rogers Sportsnet. Most of the decent stuff is picked up by one of these channels. Since 99% of the RSN stuff is blacked out that’s a moot point.
Hey I can watch some MLB games on Rogers Sportsnet that is out of my area. We call it MLB EI “lite” and there is a “NBA LP lite” that shows a fair amount of games.
Until recently TSN had WWE Raw. Smackdown is on The Score and ECW is on Global.
Yes they don’t carry all the sports that ESPN and ESPN2 have but I really don’t want to watch darts or competitive eating.

And I got it for hockey...Can see hockey 5 nights a week (sometimes 6)

What is sumulcast is simsubbed with insulting Canadian commercials.
By law they have to. If an OTA channel has the same program as a US Net at the same time, then it has to be simsubbed. TSN does it on Bell ExpressVu (since Bell owns both) but StarChoice doesn’t simsub TSN :D

And the Canadian version of OLN doesnt even carry hockey!
OLN Canada doesn’t have the rights to it. TSN does. Almost every game on OLN I could see on TSN

And who did OLN use for cup playoffs sometimes? Yep, the good old CBC :D

Last edited:
I care about sports. My canadian sub adds value in that area...in *addition* to, not as a replacement for, my DirecTV sub. Some examples:

* Hockey Night in Canada in HD. Additional HD coverage on TSN. More playoff HD hockey than I would see with DirecTV only.

* Many MLB games in HD on Sportsnet that aren't available on DirecTV in HD (at least out of market).

* Access to out-of-market Fox channels, allowing me to have more choice of Saturday afternoon MLB games.

* I am a fan of the CFL, and enjoy those games -- again, many in HD.

And there's more. As I said, I use it to supplement not replace my DirecTV sub.

nmstough said:
How about the fact that on Thursday/Friday you cannot watch the PGA tournament in HD on TNT? I cannot understand why anyone who cares about sports would ever want to go with a Canadian provider. No ESPN, no ESPN2, no regional sports networks. What is sumulcast is simsubbed with insulting Canadian commercials. And the Canadian version of OLN doesnt even carry hockey!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)