Why Canadian is the way to go.

bwaldron said:
I care about sports. My canadian sub adds value in that area...in *addition* to, not as a replacement for, my DirecTV sub. Some examples:

This is certainly the case for anyone who had CBand in 80's. To get the same programming today, 1 American + 1 Canadian service is required.

bwaldron said:
I care about sports. My canadian sub adds value in that area...in *addition* to, not as a replacement for, my DirecTV sub. Some examples:

* Access to out-of-market Fox channels, allowing me to have more choice of Saturday afternoon MLB games.
also, with Global you can see a few more NFL games without having to get NFL ST (yes some may be dupes with what you can get locally but every little bit helps) :)

Let me see if I have this straight...my need to order Canadian TV would be to see my Detroit area sports teams, and Hockey (TSN)...hopefully in HD. Based on my requirement, ordering StarChoice looks like I would get TSN and TSNHD (hockey) and could select the Detroit "Nets East", both SD and HD, as part of the $20 Essentials package? All I would need to do is purchase a DSR-505HD receiver and activate service through a broker, correct?

If so, I'm ready to hit the purchase button from kusat.com, unless I can only activate a purchased receiver through a broker. By my buying the equipment and doing the install, will a still be required to purchase a long-term subscription? And will I be forced into subscribing to a more expensive package of unwanted channels (we're keeping Dish Network Platinum).

This sounds too easy...there just has to be a catch! If not, can someone please provide me with a reputable broker via PM.

Thanks!

Well actually the $20 package is called Digital Basic and doesn't include HD. The Essentials is $30.99 (I believe it's going up to 33.99 September 1) and it includes HD.

You will get all 5 HD Nets from Detroit and NBC, CBS and FOX from Seattle. You can choose Detroit, Buffalo, Seattle or Spokanne for SD.

There isn't a contract but I do believe that if you cancel before 1 year is up Star Choice wants the receiver back. With Star Choice you're free to change your programming whenever you want.

you won't get HD with the $20 package...as noted above, you need Essentials, which is 33.99 on 9/1 but you will get the HD channels with that package

Thanks, I'm sold on the "Essentials" package...CBC HD and "Hockey Night in Canada" is worth the few extra buckazoids. I have clear sight to Anik F1 and Anik F2 so I just need a broker and I'm in business. :)

Last edited:
riffjim4069 said:
Based on my requirement, ordering StarChoice looks like I would get TSN and TSNHD (hockey) and could select the Detroit "Nets East", both SD and HD,

All HD subs get Detroit/Seattle nets in HD. Most HD subs therefore select Buffalo or Spokane as their SD feed.

riffjim4069 said:
Let me see if I have this straight...my need to order Canadian TV would be to see my Detroit area sports teams

If you're expecting to see Detroit-area pro sports teams through the local network affiliates, you might be disappointed.

Yes, you will see the Lions on Fox2. However, with the exception of a handful of games, all Red Wings, Pistons, & Tigers games are carried on FSN Detroit, which is nowhere to be found on SC.

That said, CBC, HNIC, & TVO alone are worth the subscription, not to mention TSN-HD and the NHL Network. :hungry:

Thanks. I already have a Slingbox placed at my parents home...Fox Sports Detroit, Comcast Local Sports, and all the locals are on basic cable. It works great, but I prefer to watch sports on one of my big screens. With *C I can watch today's Lions game in HD and I can catch all of the UofM games without having to purchase an ESPN Gameplan subscription. Additionally, a fair number Red Wings games will be on CBC and TSN. I can continue to use the Slingbox to follow the Tigers, and I don't have much interest in the Pistons.

This is great! I just wanted to add that I love my *C essentials subscription. I am now watching Philly vs Houston and Baltimore vs Tampa Bay in my home DMA of Washington DC, and out of market games: Atlanta vs Carolina from Richmond VA (OTA), Seattle vs Detroit and Cincinnati vs Kansas City out of Detroit (*C), Denver vs St. Louis out of Seattle (*C), and Buffalo vs New England out of Buffalo (*C). Five of the seven games are in HD...who needs a Sunday Ticket! Instead of replacing my 4 year old Mits Diamond CRT next year, I think I may just stack a Sony SXRD on top.:)

Last edited:
Another reason: No bush-league moves like D* pulled this morning, "temporarily" withholding TNT-HD coverage on Sundays for the duration of the NFL (read: Sunday Ticket) season. Evidently, they had to steal bandwidth from somewhere...

Definite candidate for tool of the week...

I enjoy Canadian TV from a Star Choice system for its superior picture resolution quality over Bell or any of the US systems.

One can watch all the sports , and then some, with excellent commentary sometimes not found on US TV.

Less restrictive policies for watching various city locals.

Time shifting.

PPV sporting events at a much cheaper cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)