Why Canadian is the way to go.

Jumbo Dumbo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 20, 2005
bwaldron said:
I care about sports. My canadian sub adds value in that area...in *addition* to, not as a replacement for, my DirecTV sub. Some examples:

This is certainly the case for anyone who had CBand in 80's. To get the same programming today, 1 American + 1 Canadian service is required.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
bwaldron said:
I care about sports. My canadian sub adds value in that area...in *addition* to, not as a replacement for, my DirecTV sub. Some examples:

* Access to out-of-market Fox channels, allowing me to have more choice of Saturday afternoon MLB games.
also, with Global you can see a few more NFL games without having to get NFL ST (yes some may be dupes with what you can get locally but every little bit helps) :)

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Let me see if I have this straight...my need to order Canadian TV would be to see my Detroit area sports teams, and Hockey (TSN)...hopefully in HD. Based on my requirement, ordering StarChoice looks like I would get TSN and TSNHD (hockey) and could select the Detroit "Nets East", both SD and HD, as part of the $20 Essentials package? All I would need to do is purchase a DSR-505HD receiver and activate service through a broker, correct?

If so, I'm ready to hit the purchase button from kusat.com, unless I can only activate a purchased receiver through a broker. By my buying the equipment and doing the install, will a still be required to purchase a long-term subscription? And will I be forced into subscribing to a more expensive package of unwanted channels (we're keeping Dish Network Platinum).

This sounds too easy...there just has to be a catch! If not, can someone please provide me with a reputable broker via PM.

Thanks!

TJ_77

SatelliteGuys Family
May 9, 2005
Well actually the $20 package is called Digital Basic and doesn't include HD. The Essentials is $30.99 (I believe it's going up to 33.99 September 1) and it includes HD.

You will get all 5 HD Nets from Detroit and NBC, CBS and FOX from Seattle. You can choose Detroit, Buffalo, Seattle or Spokanne for SD.

There isn't a contract but I do believe that if you cancel before 1 year is up Star Choice wants the receiver back. With Star Choice you're free to change your programming whenever you want.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
you won't get HD with the $20 package...as noted above, you need Essentials, which is 33.99 on 9/1 but you will get the HD channels with that package

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks, I'm sold on the "Essentials" package...CBC HD and "Hockey Night in Canada" is worth the few extra buckazoids. I have clear sight to Anik F1 and Anik F2 so I just need a broker and I'm in business. :)

Last edited:

Satellite Expert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 15, 2004
riffjim4069 said:
Based on my requirement, ordering StarChoice looks like I would get TSN and TSNHD (hockey) and could select the Detroit "Nets East", both SD and HD,

All HD subs get Detroit/Seattle nets in HD. Most HD subs therefore select Buffalo or Spokane as their SD feed.

RedWingsinHD

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 4, 2006
riffjim4069 said:
Let me see if I have this straight...my need to order Canadian TV would be to see my Detroit area sports teams

If you're expecting to see Detroit-area pro sports teams through the local network affiliates, you might be disappointed.

Yes, you will see the Lions on Fox2. However, with the exception of a handful of games, all Red Wings, Pistons, & Tigers games are carried on FSN Detroit, which is nowhere to be found on SC.

That said, CBC, HNIC, & TVO alone are worth the subscription, not to mention TSN-HD and the NHL Network. :hungry:

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks. I already have a Slingbox placed at my parents home...Fox Sports Detroit, Comcast Local Sports, and all the locals are on basic cable. It works great, but I prefer to watch sports on one of my big screens. With *C I can watch today's Lions game in HD and I can catch all of the UofM games without having to purchase an ESPN Gameplan subscription. Additionally, a fair number Red Wings games will be on CBC and TSN. I can continue to use the Slingbox to follow the Tigers, and I don't have much interest in the Pistons.

This is great! I just wanted to add that I love my *C essentials subscription. I am now watching Philly vs Houston and Baltimore vs Tampa Bay in my home DMA of Washington DC, and out of market games: Atlanta vs Carolina from Richmond VA (OTA), Seattle vs Detroit and Cincinnati vs Kansas City out of Detroit (*C), Denver vs St. Louis out of Seattle (*C), and Buffalo vs New England out of Buffalo (*C). Five of the seven games are in HD...who needs a Sunday Ticket! Instead of replacing my 4 year old Mits Diamond CRT next year, I think I may just stack a Sony SXRD on top.:)

Last edited:

RedWingsinHD

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 4, 2006
Another reason: No bush-league moves like D* pulled this morning, "temporarily" withholding TNT-HD coverage on Sundays for the duration of the NFL (read: Sunday Ticket) season. Evidently, they had to steal bandwidth from somewhere...

Definite candidate for tool of the week...

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 3, 2006
I enjoy Canadian TV from a Star Choice system for its superior picture resolution quality over Bell or any of the US systems.

One can watch all the sports , and then some, with excellent commentary sometimes not found on US TV.

Less restrictive policies for watching various city locals.

Time shifting.

PPV sporting events at a much cheaper cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts