Why DirecTV is the HD Leader (Video)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's not going to be in its ''home' location until Mid-September. It will be in a nearby 'testing' orbit starting around August 10th I believe, then after testing (around September 12th IIRC) it will be moved over to its GEO permanent slot.

Don't expect any programming before September 15th at the earliest.

Compression is a necessary evil. A non-compressed HD channel is 1.5Gbps. Cable delivers that content on MPEG-2 at 12Mbps, MPEG-4 Advanced Video Compression, which D* is now using, can deliver better PQ at half the bit rate. The only problem D* is having is the fact that they chose Tandberg for MPEG-4 encoders, which are sub-standard. This shows up very badly in local channels that have to be encoded locally, then transported via fiber to Wyoming for uplink. Long-haul transport really magnifies the problem. That will change soon, as companies like D* and AT&T change their encoders out about every other year. I'm confident D* will get it right. Now that John Malone is in there, it will rise to the top of the heap.

Compression is a necessary evil. A non-compressed HD channel is 1.5Gbps. Cable delivers that content on MPEG-2 at 12Mbps, MPEG-4 Advanced Video Compression, which D* is now using, can deliver better PQ at half the bit rate. The only problem D* is having is the fact that they chose Tandberg for MPEG-4 encoders, which are sub-standard. This shows up very badly in local channels that have to be encoded locally, then transported via fiber to Wyoming for uplink. Long-haul transport really magnifies the problem. That will change soon, as companies like D* and AT&T change their encoders out about every other year. I'm confident D* will get it right. Now that John Malone is in there, it will rise to the top of the heap.

D* noticed this quite awhile back and has changed out a lot of their encoders already, not all of them but many of them.

I do not see them having signal loss going out to Wyoming as you mentioned, as they are being sent via fiber.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.