Why does volume level vary so much?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john262

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2005
I am sick and tired of having to adjust my TV's volume level almost every time that I change channels. Why can't D* provide us with all of their channels at the same volume level? I know that a home user can buy some hardware which will automatically adjust volume levels between stations. Why can't D* use something like that so that I don't have to? I shouldn't have to spend extra money just to fix something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Just a couple of days ago, I turned to Starz and the volume almost blew me away! I had to turn the volume down by half. Then when I turned to HBO, I couldn't hear anything. I had to turn the volume back up. This has never happened before until a couple of days ago.

Actually, this was brought up at the last DIRECTV meeting for dealers. DIRECTV stated that they cannot adjust the volume as that is how the broadcasters send it to them. So they are not allowed to manipulate the signal as the broadcasters send it how they want to come over, some scenes and channels louder than others.

Thanks,
Bob Doseck
Plasma Concepts

DIRECTV stated that they cannot adjust the volume as that is how the broadcasters send it to them. So they are not allowed to manipulate the signal as the broadcasters send it how they want to come over, some scenes and channels louder than others.

With all due respect, I don't believe that. For instance, I have to turn the volume way up on CNN in order to hear it. Someone else in this thread said that same thing about HBO.

Now you tell me. Why in the world would CNN and HBO want the volume on their channels to be so low? The answer is that they wouldn't.

To me, it's pure negligence on the part of D* and they should be ashamed of themselves.

With all due respect, I don't believe that. For instance, I have to turn the volume way up on CNN in order to hear it. Someone else in this thread said that same thing about HBO.

Now you tell me. Why in the world would CNN and HBO want the volume on their channels to be so low? The answer is that they wouldn't.

To me, it's pure negligence on the part of D* and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I have to go WITH bdoseck on this one, reason, D* is a Provider ONLY, I don't know if they have anything to do with volume ... the idea is for them to receive the signal and pass it along the way they got it.

Hence, the Native funtion.
That being said , many channels have various volume levels, I think that comes from the program provider.

Jimbo

I also would like to see the broadcasters or providers fix the volume problems, I have Dish Network and I have the same problems, also the HD channels volumes are very low compared to the regular SD channels.

I have the same issue with Verizon FiOS and thought I would check to see if DTV would be different... guess not. You would think with everything being digital they could do something.

I have the same issue with Verizon FiOS and thought I would check to see if DTV would be different... guess not. You would think with everything being digital they could do something.

That's not good, Verizon is laying fiber in my area and I am hoping to switch over soon, How much do you think the volume is off by? With Dish Network it was about 20DB's on my Yamaha amplifier.

I'm sure there are technical standards to which the networks are supposed to abide as to audio level.

If they are really all over the map, then fine--but it is hard to believe that is the problem.

It's not a question of audio processing--just turn channel AA up a tad, turn channel BB down a little...Ten minutes and it's done. You could do it by ear and get a better result than now.

Someone with C-band access to the channels could tell us if they really do broadcast that way.

The TV broadcast industry is really only just waking up to this problem. First, it's true that this is NOT a DirecTV issue. As was posted, FIOS and the cable companies also have the problem, and they cannot do anything about it. The varying audio level comes from the broadcaster and DirecTV does not know what the audio level is supposed to be. There are standards but broadcasters use different ones (!!). Also DD 5.1 gives a different audio level from regular PCM stereo.

The commercials on HD locals are inserted at the station, and are often PCM stereo on DD 5.1 programs so are much higher volume.
In general, stations have commercials at the highest possible volume (I wonder why?!!!?)

This is the best set of posts confirming my problem, spouse complains I am deaf, wrong, I just am lazy on not turning down volume as I will be surfing soon and where I end up might be lower or higher.
I have found HD much lower than SD, commercials generally higher and extremely higher when high pitched female pushing matresses with southern drawl. Of air hd very low volume.
This really becomes a problem with late night surfing, while spouse is sleeping. I have somewhat solved it by using mute until I find station to watch.

Last edited:
My parents have Charter cable and The Weather Channels audio comes out over modulated through the left speaker but comes out just fine through D*.:confused:

This is the best set of posts confirming my problem, spouse complains I am deaf, wrong, I just am lazy on not turning down volume as I will be surfing soon and where I end up might be lower or higher.
I have found HD much lower than SD, commercials generally higher and extremely higher when high pitched female pushing matresses with southern drawl. Of air hd very low volume.
This really becomes a problem with late night surfing, while spouse is sleeping. I have somewhat solved it by using mute until I find station to watch.

Your perception is absolutely correct.
I noticed that there were a number of presentations at professional tv/video conferences this year about this problem.

That's not good, Verizon is laying fiber in my area and I am hoping to switch over soon, How much do you think the volume is off by? With Dish Network it was about 20DB's on my Yamaha amplifier.
If they are laying the fiber now, you can expect it to be probably a few more months till it's active.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts