Why doesn’t a DTV subscription give you access to directv stream?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RobertSM

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
South Carolina
I’ve had satellite issues the past couple of days, so I was wondering why I just can’t access the directv stream app on my appletv? I know I can watch the regular directv app on My iPad but Is there something I’m missing about why directv just can’t let us have access to dtv stream with an directv account?

Reactions: I WANT MORE
I’ve had satellite issues the past couple of days, so I was wondering why I just can’t access the directv stream app on my appletv? I know I can watch the regular directv app on My iPad but Is there something I’m missing about why directv just can’t let us have access to dtv stream with an directv account?
They want you to have to double dip.

Its 2 different services

And as you mentioned we have the directv app and you can also do "tv everywhere " log in on most networks.

If we had D* streme no NFL network and some other channels...

Not the best comparison but do E* customers get access to sling TV?

Reactions: comp9
This is actually the biggest head scratcher of AT&T's video strategy. With DISH and Sling it makes sense because they are targeting different markets and different contractual obligations around the channels they carry. But with AT&T, they actively wanted to consider U-Verse, DirecTV, and Stream to be the same service so that they get more favorable rates from programmers

It's kind of silly that a U-Verse or DirecTV satellite subscriber can't just log into DirecTV Stream. Today, it makes even less sense because now DirecTV markets them as the same service just a different delivery method, which is even more integrated than it was during the AT&T days

This is actually the biggest head scratcher of AT&T's video strategy. With DISH and Sling it makes sense because they are targeting different markets and different contractual obligations around the channels they carry. But with AT&T, they actively wanted to consider U-Verse, DirecTV, and Stream to be the same service so that they get more favorable rates from programmers

It's kind of silly that a U-Verse or DirecTV satellite subscriber can't just log into DirecTV Stream. Today, it makes even less sense because now DirecTV markets them as the same service just a different delivery method, which is even more integrated than it was during the AT&T days

They probably worry about account stacking type stuff like parents giving their kids their Directv Stream login.

They probably worry about account stacking type stuff like parents giving their kids their Directv Stream login.

Other services like Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube TV deal with this issue fine. YouTube TV even gives you a family sharing option.

Other services like Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube TV deal with this issue fine. YouTube TV even gives you a family sharing option.
Key word service
Cable/ satellite use a different service model..they don't require internet..they require more expensive equipment such as satellite uplinks and stb's..internet services only need to worry about streaming costs to a customer owned roku or such. They have different economic realities..thats why you can mix and match

Reactions: John2021
Key word service
Cable/ satellite use a different service model..they don't require internet..they require more expensive equipment such as satellite uplinks and stb's..internet services only need to worry about streaming costs to a customer owned roku or such. They have different economic realities..thats why you can mix and match
You log into the same account. My cable streaming is tied to the account.

Streaming services have no infrastructure...very few employees...cable/ satellite are labor intensive
I'm talking about cable companies. They have the infrastructure baked into their services. If I want to use the cable app too stream, It has to be logged into the account. The same with streaming HBO MAX. They want verification. DTV could do this with their streaming service.

But I can already do that with a DirecTV login and Channels DVR which will aggregate TV Everywhere authenticated streams into an on screen guide and DVR. And I could do that with an actual DirecTV Stream account

Reactions: dtv757
It would be nice if they did allow access to it with a D* sub as it would give an option for the occasion when the Sat Signal is out.

What would be cool is if you have your receiver connected to the internet, the minute the system detected any kind of signal loss from rain & snow fade then it would automatically switch over to DirecTV Stream to continue recording or viewing

Key word service
Spectrum offers streaming with their cable package. What you are saying is completely inaccurate. There is no "different service model".

I'm talking about cable companies. They have the infrastructure baked into their services.
I was comparing netflix etc to cable/ satellite streaming....with cable you are paying for internet so they can throw in streaming
Spectrum offers streaming with their cable package. What you are saying is completely inaccurate. There is no "different service model".
Yes..i was comparing netflix to cable streaming...netflix allows multiple logons...cable not so much...netflix uses other companies facilities...cable has to pay more employees...and fix things...i would call it different

I was comparing netflix etc to cable/ satellite streaming....with cable you are paying for internet so they can throw in streaming
Yes..i was comparing netflix to cable streaming...netflix allows multiple logons...cable not so much...netflix uses other companies facilities...cable has to pay more employees...and fix things...i would call it different
When cable goes down it all goes down!!!

What cable co throws in streaming? Besides the same "tv everywhere " + app concept

And not counting peacock

Well you could say cable/telcos users can create sub account log ins so for other users in the house they don't have to use the primary/billing log in ... the sub log in is only for "tv everywhere/wifi etc

Well I think D* subs on att billing can also make sub account logins but im in legacy D* billing ...