Why doesn't this work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow, this thread has been moved. Sorry, I've been away for awhile, to the SPS and NPS sites, trying to get the Sci-Fi channel to work. I guess this topic is more accurate, since we've moved away from the setup and gotten into reception.
As I look at the past few posts, I need to update:
*** Lak7; as stated, we are up and running with several FTA channels, but one dog of a problem trying to get the paid for Sci-Fi channel.
*** MrFTAMan; The photos are a little out of date. Once I did the Master Reset, G1 temporarily became 5000 on my index numbers. It has been adjusted slightly since then, but it is not far from 5000 currently. Also, the limits are now out where they belong, past the farthest satellites I need to worry about.
*** Eurosport84; I got a little hot working out in the sun on this thing for so many weeks, so I kind of overreacted. You mentioned my screens are a little obsolete. Can the system be upgraded by the phone jack on the back? Or by some other means?
Here's what happened since we paid for some channels: On June 2nd, I bought the All American Pak, and the Sci-Fi Channel add-on from one of the NPS retailers, SPS of Carson City, Nevada. So at that point we were getting about a half dozen or so FTA channels (that we were aware of) and about a dozen channels in the All American Pak. We could not get the Sci-Fi Channel add-on. What we were receiving was spread around on several birds; G1, C3, C4, G3, G4, and W5.
After tweaking every way I could, I emailed SPS to let them know that I could not get Sci-Fi, but that I was getting a good ALN, and a really strong H&GTV, right below where I was supposed to be getting SCI-FI at W5-642. I was also getting three radio channels way up high on W5, so wasn't I aiming pretty much on target? The tech emailed me back and told me to keep tweaking.
I then called NPS and the lady there said that my name did not match the name they have for that Unit ID, and that I need to tell my retailer to update the records. She also said that updating the records with my correct name and address would fix the Sci-Fi problem. Hmmm? Now I have asked my retailer to update the NPS records, I've done two soft resets, I've done bunches of rehits, and I've tweaked until my head started hurting, but to no avail. We cannot get the Sci-Fi channel that we are paying for.
That, gentlemen (and any ladies on the thread), is where we are at now... desperately seeking Sci-Fi.

*** Eurosport84; I got a little hot working out in the sun on this thing for so many weeks, so I kind of overreacted. You mentioned my screens are a little obsolete. Can the system be upgraded by the phone jack on the back? Or by some other means?

I then called NPS and the lady there said that my name did not match the name they have for that Unit ID, and that I need to tell my retailer to update the records. She also said that updating the records with my correct name and address would fix the Sci-Fi problem. Hmmm? Now I have asked my retailer to update the NPS records, I've done two soft resets, I've done bunches of rehits, and I've tweaked until my head started hurting, but to no avail. We cannot get the Sci-Fi channel that we are paying for.
That, gentlemen (and any ladies on the thread), is where we are at now... desperately seeking Sci-Fi.
No Problem, CenterFreq! :) If my post came off like I was doubting you,
that was definitely not my intent, I just had never seen that screen in the videocipher menu before.
The 4DTV is kind of like "Motorola's red-headed step-child" they really have little interest in supporting it anymore, that's why some of the screens, and the program guide, suggest some things that do not exist anymore.
But, to answer the question, no it can't be upgraded, other than the channel maps, that you've already done.
As for your Sci-Fi channel problem, now that IS a new one on me!
I bought my 920 used too, but it didn't come up with anyone else's name upon subbing it. :confused:

Again, I have been away... sorry to anyone who is interested in this thread. We are almost finished now, so here is what happened:
Even though SPS has an email-only tech support policy, the sheer volume of my emails finally convinced one of their techs to phone me concerning the Sci-Fi channel. During our discussion I mentioned the intermittent nature of the operation of C-Band, how sometimes I would select a channel, and if it was on the bird I was currently pointed at, the program would instantly pop on the screen. But then sometimes, I would select another channel on the same bird, and the "processing your request" message would be displayed for 30 seconds or more before the program would suddenly pop on the screen. Also, sometimes I would be 15 or 20 minutes into a program and suddenly the screen goes blank. In those cases where I have had the self-discipline to leave it alone and just wait, the program would suddenly pop back on in 4 or 5 minutes.
After listening to all of this, the tech told me that, barring a misaligned system, this behaviour should not happen... the selected channel (if on the same bird) should be displayed instantly. Naturally, if I switched to a channel on another bird, I would have to wait for the BUD to move, before seeing the picture. He asked me how long I have had the LNB, which I couldn't acurately answer, but I told him it MAY have been sitting up there in the 115 degree heat for 15 or more years.
The tech finally suggested that I may have a bad LNB, which could be replaced for about $40.00. He asked me if I would like a refund for the service and simply cancel until I got the LNB replaced. I thought that sounded reasonable since I have been suspecting something physical was wrong. After spending a couple hundred hours tweaking a system, even a newb starts to get good at it.
Two days later, my card was credited the full amount for three months of the Sci-Fi channel, which had been the add-on, and about 80% of the price of the All American Pak, which we actually watched some of.
But now, instead of buying a new LNB and beginning my next repair project, we are going to have to start all over at square one. I will be starting a new job in California, probably in August. I will have to hunt down another used BUD for C-band, but at least I can take down and pack my GeoSat Pro for the Ku band. Heck, I may even buy a brand new BUD if they still make them. That way, I would start with something under warranty and eliminate part of the guesswork.
I will check this thread a few times more to see if anybody has any questions for me.
I want to thank the senior members of SatelliteGuys for all the assistance provided during this rather complicated project. I look forward working with you all again when I set up my new little dish farm on the central California coastal plain.

I'll go up on the roof and assess the situation. If it breaks down that easily, I'll take it. But if it is too much trouble, it stays. Remember, I already know that I would have to replace the LNB. It may be easier to find an unused fully functional BUD in Monterey County.

anytime i ever setup a used bud I always replaced the lnbs anyway. To me Lnbs are like spark plugs in a used car. your old one may be good but it never hurts to get new.
the cheap ones work really well nowdays.

i have a sat meter a birdog with the latest downloads from the manufacturer but am unable to find the w5/amc18 sat i know it is at 105degs. i can find the sat at 103 and the one at 107 but the one for 4dtv just doesn't seem to be there. can anyone help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts