Why have it if Quality is bad :no

Mr. Biggles said:
That funny huh?

I guess I can't come to grips with the constant whiners/bitchers/complainers around here. If it's constructive critiscism, then great, but sounding off like little children...well, come to your own conclusion.

Couldn't agree more with you.

On the other hand there are those who call people "whiners", "complainers", and the like with no justification whatsoever.

Seawaves said:
Gutter,

I told you that DVI was not your friend!

Yes but it should be. quality is better. I think it is the combination of the compression and firmware in the box. The OTA stuff out of the box is still poor compared to my old tuner. Thanks for the advice

Mr. Biggles said:
That funny huh?

I guess I can't come to grips with the constant whiners/bitchers/complainers around here. If it's constructive critiscism, then great, but sounding off like little children...well, come to your own conclusion.
Just glad you're happy with your Voom experience is all-and no, your post wasn't what made me laugh, its your sign-in-just can't read "Mr. Biggles" without a smile coming to my face-lol-oops, there it goes again-LMAO

Sean makes a valid point. You have to consider the source of the picture you are receiving. Is it live sports? New film vs old film? SD upconverted? It depends on what they are showing at the moment. Expecting perfect HD on every channel would be like expecting perfect color on every channel. You don't readjust your gray scale and color decoder for B&W and color pictures everytime you change channels. Some sources are just better than others. I don't expect a 1961 film on Cinema 3 to look like CSI: Las Vegas or HD sports covergage on Rush. Most people who have had HD for a while understand this.

My PQ is great, even for SD :D much better than Comcast's poor PQ.

I like this forum, but if I had read these forums before I got Voom I probably would have not switched to Voom from Comcast because I would have been too intimidated by all the complaining that goes on here.

I'm sure glad that I started reading these forums after I had already had installed Voom, otherwise I'd still have poor PQ and poor HD offerings with Comcast.

I am very happy with Voom to this point and I advise people that are considering installing Voom to take some of these complaints with a grain of salt ;)

Talking about little children w/ a handle of "Mr. Biggles"? LOL!

Just glad you're happy with your Voom experience is all-and no, your post wasn't what made me laugh, its your sign-in-just can't read "Mr. Biggles" without a smile coming to my face-lol-oops, there it goes again-LMAO

;) Touche' I suppose. It's a bit of a corny handle, but's it's what I picked four years ago when I signed-up for AVSforum (what I was thinking back then escapes me :) )...and since so many of us use the same handle here as there I continued it here.

If I misinterpreted the context of your comments, then apologies are due. If not.....

Everytime I watch HDNET, I have the WOW factor, I am constantly amazed at the PQ of this channel. I have not had that with 1 single channel on Voom yet, except for the MonstersHD graphics, some MOOV episodes & a show or two on RushHD. Even DiscoveryHD does not give me the same WOW on Voom as it does on E*. They must be doing something with the signal because during the NBA West Coast finals as I was switching back and forth between V* & E*, I could see compression artifacts on V* that were not on E*.

Watching Smart Travels on HDNET last night, I was glued to the screen, absorbing every little bit of detail that popped off the screen. I just don't get this from Voom, though I still enjoy the service and the PQ is good, just not great.

Could not agree more with DarellP that the wow factor is missing on Voom but, in my opinion, it is missing on every single Voom’s HD channel.

WOW factor is not in every single program that is captured in HD. You need to understand what the source of the program is. ESPN-HD, for example, will never give you the wow factor anywhere. .

Sean, that is not true. I have the wow factor EVEN on ESPNHD on 811. I do agree that TNTHD will give you more wow but on Dish 811 - not on Voom.

HD movie transfers like The LORD of The Rings will give you the Wow factor when shown in its OAR. Cinema 10 movies will not show the wow factor. These are old movies whose masters are not great to begin with. Look for Wow Factor on Rush, WorldSport, Discovery (when program is not transferred), Hdnews, etc

I could not disagree more. HDNet Movies broadcasts old movies most of the time and all have the wow factor. And there is no wow factor on those Voom channels especially WorldSport. I watch almost every single soccer game on both WorldSport and HDNet. The difference is huge. There is big, big wow factor on HDNet soccer which is why I ordered Voom - to watch soccer from Europe with wow factor. Unfortunately, I didn't get the wow thing.

And to be honest, I have to say that Voom's SD channels look much better than the same on Dish on my TV. But that is not why i wanted Voom.

And to be honest, I have to say that Voom's SD channels look much better than the same on Dish on my TV. But that is not why i wanted Voom.
Ditto. Dish SD is history for me, I cut the cord Friday night. I can't/won't drop the Dish HD Pack until Voom has HDNET. If for nothing else, I need HDNET to demo my system. I could demo Voom to people and since it's their first HD experience, it would WOW them, but if I really want to crack their jaw, I need HDNET.

To my eyes, HDNews is on par with HDNet in terms of PQ.
Besides, how long can you guys be WOWed by HDTV? By definition, the WOW factor has an element of surprise. Maybe it is time to start just watching good programming...

Everytime I watch HDNET, I have the WOW factor, I am constantly amazed at the PQ of this channel. I have not had that with 1 single channel on Voom yet, except for the MonstersHD graphics, some MOOV episodes & a show or two on RushHD. Even DiscoveryHD does not give me the same WOW on Voom as it does on E*. They must be doing something with the signal because during the NBA West Coast finals as I was switching back and forth between V* & E*, I could see compression artifacts on V* that were not on E*.

Watching Smart Travels on HDNET last night, I was glued to the screen, absorbing every little bit of detail that popped off the screen. I just don't get this from Voom, though I still enjoy the service and the PQ is good, just not great.

I could not agree more with DarrellP and Conjuror. There is not one station on Voom that matches the picture quality of Dish Network's worst HD channel. Let's look at Dish Network's HD channels shall we?

ESPNHD: When they're broadcasting a true HD game, it looks 10 times better than the same game on ESPN.

What about TNTHD: The same rule applies.

HBOHD: Dish Network is definitely better than Voom.

ShowtimeHD: Dish Network is definitely better than Voom.

Discovery HD Theater: This channel looks plain amazing on Dish Network. I can't even watch it on Voom since it has been compressed so much.

To be fair, Voom does have a lot more quatity when it comes to high def.

So, what you have to ask yourself is: Would you rather have more crap (aka Voom) or less of the good stuff (aka Dish Network)?

At this point, I've chosen more crap (aka Voom). I'm continuing to hope Voom picks it up when it comes to bandwidth, compression schemes and overall content quality.

See this link on why HDNET looks so good.

Does anyone know why Voom HD is not as good? Are they putting too many channels/transponder and overcompressing?

andrzej said:
Besides, how long can you guys be WOWed by HDTV? By definition, the WOW factor has an element of surprise. Maybe it is time to start just watching good programming...
As I stated, EVERYTIME I watch HDNET, I am WOW'd. :shocked I also like the content they show, so I am not just watching for the WOW. I find myself watching more of the Dish HDPack than Voom lately. If the PQ doesn't improve in the next few months, I may drop them. :no

ChetK said:
At this point, I've chosen more crap (aka Voom). I'm continuing to hope Voom picks it up when it comes to bandwidth, compression schemes and overall content quality.

Is it worth it? I mean from the way it sounds why have more crap if it dont look pretty?

I'm waiting to see if the PQ on Voom will improve. However, if Dish or DirecTV get one or more "wow" HD channels, I may drop Voom.

andrzej,

I still have the "wow" factor when I watch all HD channels on Dish, including OTA with 811. The fact that I don't have wow on Voom even on OTA channels makes me think that there must be something their receiver. This issue must be recognized by Voom and resolved as soon as possible. Just look how much negative marketing they get on this forum, all due to the PQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts