Why is Dish NOT splitting Noggin/The N

Calm down.....What is the big deal?
Does your daughter go postal because her tv viewing isn't quite to her liking?
I have an idea. Here's a perfect opportunity for you to maybe read a book to your daughter..A little father/daughter bonding..How' bout it...
There are tons of other kids channels on E* try them..

The big deal is that there is nothing else on for toddlers at this time of the day. I do not sit my daughter down in front of the TV all day. I do read to her and play with her toys. There are sometimes that I need to get things done and watching Dora or Diego or her favorite The Wonder Pets lets me get things done.

The bigger deal is that this is a further demonstration of Dish's lack of commitment to their viewers. Look at the big picture: we were all expecting more HD any time now, and what do we get? A press release saying that more HD is coming, but not saying what, or when, so other than telling us that the company isn't completely dead yet they haven't told us anything. Plus, they further insult our intelligence by releasing a new DVR which has less features than the previous version and thus has basically no reason for being.

Are they still upset? Or have they as most kids do, moved on?
Kids are far more resilient than you know. They adjust quickly. That's one of the benefits of a child's short attention span.

Oh, they're fine. They have short memories. I, however do not. This is about more than a movie. This is about Dish continuing to want to do things their way, every one else be damned.

The big deal is that there is nothing else on for toddlers at this time of the day. I do not sit my daughter down in front of the TV all day. I do read to her and play with her toys. There are sometimes that I need to get things done and watching Dora or Diego or her favorite The Wonder Pets lets me get things done.
Ok based on that ,then tv isn't all that important, is it?
Look, it's ONE channel. There are at least 6 or 8 other kids channels. Plus all the stuff on PBS...6PM? Grown-up time. News, etc....There is kids programming all day long.. How many hours must there be programming for toddlers?...You state there are times when you need to get things done..So the tv takes your place as care giver. Question: What did we do before all these programs became available? How did we survive?
My angle here is, there are always alternatives. The lack of toddler programming in the evening hours isn't going to make or break anyone.
Occasionally we all have to deal with disappointment. That's life in the big city.

You're missing the point, and your little snarky a$$hole comments show you still aren't getting it. It's amazing that I have to explain this, but I'll do so for the short bus crowd. My kids DON'T sit around watching TV all day. They spend plenty of time outside, just as the vast majority of kids do. They were upset about the Franklin movie being cut off in the middle, just as YOU would have been if a special that you had been waiting for was rudely cut off, and switched over to other programming just because Dish wanted to do things their own way. If that had happened to a show YOU had been waiting for, you would be the first one on here bitching, moaning and demanding programming credits from Dish. And of course, then we bring in the jerk with the snarky comment: "What's the big deal? It's just TV, Hall. Your life shouldn't revolve around the idiot box. Why don't you go outside and get some fresh air?" You starting to get it now? Just because Dish is screwing customers over on a kids channel doesn't make it any less important than if they had done this with F/X, Sci-Fi, HBO, etc.

Ahh yes..The old insult..Good stuff....Ty, it doesn't change a thing. The facts are clear. Unless otherwise nothed there is no conspircy to deprive your children of anything on tv.
You are lashing out at Hall and myself because we have the gall to disagree with your position..
Besides, I bet if you asked your boys how they feel right now about the movie being interrputed, I bet you will hear " I don't know" or some other answer to that effect. Like I said, this seems to be far more important to certain adults than may to their kids. Relax...
I guess in your world evreryone who agrees with you is an ok guy. Those with an different point of view are a**holes. Ok. Fine. Then I am an a$$hole. But that doesn't change my point of view...BTW I never stated that your kids sit in front of the tv all day. I merely suggested that as a general statement. Seems you are being a bit defensive...
If and when these channels are ever seprated, you'll have to look at alterantives. Of which there are many.

BTW if a show I was watching was interrupted by a glich or whatever I'd be upset. But within 5 mins I'd find something else to watch. And deal with it...I wouldnm't go off on angry rant about it. So you don't have me or Hall pegged. You're not even in the ballpark.
Oh yeah. IS it your assumption that this Franklin movie will never appear on tv again?....
Mr.Snarky

Wow... everyone here is sounding like THEY should be watching kids television. How childish.

There are two points made:

1) DISH is screwing up by not splitting the channels.

2) Oh well, play with your kids instead.

Both are perfectly valid points. I happen to agree with both -- I'm sure there's a reason DISH is doing it, and I'm sure that most kids could use a little more time away from the TV. No one is wrong here, move along!

(Disclaimer: I have no kids myself, at 28 some would still consider me a kid.)

Wow... everyone here is sounding like THEY should be watching kids television. How childish.

There are two points made:

1) DISH is screwing up by not splitting the channels.

2) Oh well, play with your kids instead.

Both are perfectly valid points. I happen to agree with both -- I'm sure there's a reason DISH is doing it, and I'm sure that most kids could use a little more time away from the TV. No one is wrong here, move along!

(Disclaimer: I have no kids myself, at 28 some would still consider me a kid.)

It's got nothing to do with your kids - it's a matter of principle.

If you advertise a programming change, you're obligated to follow through with it.

Dish, by airing Noggin's 24-hour advance promos for the last month, has, in and of themselves, been advertising a programming change. They are a party to the promotion. They continue to advertise this programming change daily by continuing to carry the network.

Either carry Noggin 24/7, drop the network altogether, or cover all 24/7 promos aired by the network. Dish covers breaks on other networks, so why can't they cover the breaks on Noggin with other content so that these 24/7 promos don't air on Dish? Dish should, at the very least, air their own insert promo stating that they only carry Noggin 12 hours a day. They have the automation to do this.

BTW, to those who want to tell everyone else how many hours a day a channel should program, I say they should cut HBO and Cinemax back to 6 hours a day, and cancel Bill Maher. I say you don't need to see his liberal B.S., and I know what's best for you. ;)

Last edited:
It's got nothing to do with your kids - it's a matter of principle.

If you advertise a programming change, you're obligated to follow through with it.

Dish, by airing Noggin's 24-hour advance promos for the last month, has, in and of themselves, been advertising a programming change. They are a party to the promotion. They continue to advertise this programming change daily by continuing to carry the network.

Either carry Noggin 24/7, drop the network altogether, or cover all 24/7 promos aired by the network. Dish covers breaks on other networks, so why can't they cover the breaks on Noggin with other content so that these 24/7 promos don't air on Dish? Dish should, at the very least, air their own insert promo stating that they only carry Noggin 12 hours a day. They have the automation to do this.

BTW, to those who want to tell everyone else how many hours a day a channel should program, I say they should cut HBO and Cinemax back to 6 hours a day, and cancel Bill Maher. I say you don't need to see his liberal B.S., and I know what's best for you.

Exactly. One of the big problems Dish has, is a total lack of communication. They don't tell their customers or their own employees what's going on with the company until they absolutely have to. They leave everyone in the dark, and by doing so cause a lot of the rumors, suspicions and hard feelings so many people have.

Dish wasn't the one advertising this.
...or cover all 24/7 promos aired by the network. Dish covers breaks on other networks, so why can't they cover the breaks on Noggin with other content so that these 24/7 promos don't air on Dish? Dish should, at the very least, air their own insert promo stating that they only carry Noggin 12 hours a day. They have the automation to do this.
I know that Dish can "insert" or replace commercials that networks broadcast. They're allowed to do this 'x' times per hour or day or whatever, but how does Dish know *when* one of these particular commercials will air ?

You're missing the point, and your little snarky a$$hole comments show you still aren't getting it. It's amazing that I have to explain this, but I'll do so for the short bus crowd. If that had happened to a show YOU had been waiting for, you would be the first one on here bitching, moaning and demanding programming credits from Dish. And of course, then we bring in the jerk with the snarky comment: "What's the big deal? It's just TV, Hall. Your life shouldn't revolve around the idiot box. Why don't you go outside and get some fresh air?" You starting to get it now? Just because Dish is screwing customers over on a kids channel doesn't make it any less important than if they had done this with F/X, Sci-Fi, HBO, etc.
Since this is a thread about "family" or kid-oriented programming, I felt it was ironic that you are so childish that you felt the need to use the language you did.

Since this is a thread about "family" or kid-oriented programming, I felt it was ironic that you are so childish that you felt the need to use the language you did.

Not at all. Because it's ABOUT children's programming, doesn't mean said children frequent this forum. Secondly the comments were directed to YOU, about the things YOU said, not about the programming. So, no. There is no irony involved if you actually take the time to analize it. The fact still remains that you don't seem to find a problem with Dish screwing over the customer if what they're doing isn't related to programming that interests you. You just say "Oh, well. Just deal with it. Just go out and play." As I already pointed out to you, and you seem to have trouble grasping it. Being upset with something Dish is doing regarding programing in no way indicates that all my or anyone else's children do is watch TV. It is an ignorant statement. So, by that "logic", we shouldn't be upset about ANYTHING Dish (Or D* or Comcast) does, because it's all "just TV" and we really should be doing something else anyway. By your reasoning, we should all just (brace yourself, here comes another off color expression) bend over and take it whenever Dish does something like this. Face it, Dish is cheating the customer by doing things this way. Nick decided they were going to offer two whole channels of this kind of programing, and Dish is too cheap/lazy/ or whatever the reason is to do what the programming provider wants. As a result, the customer is being short-changed. This is a matter of principle, weather you watch children's programming or not. Frankly, most of what my kids watch is DVRed anyway. I'm upset over the principle of it, and the fact that this is one more thing that we're getting jerked around about. That is the crux of the matter.

Where did I say children read this ?

Why is Dish doing what they're doing ? Because Dish is "too cheap/lazy or whatever" ? That sounds like an intelligent business decision....

If you want to talk about "principle", you should be upset with Nick for going to 24-hour programming. Maybe your kids don't, and mine certainly do NOT, but TOO MANY kids watch TOO MUCH TV in this country and here we have Nick providing MORE !!!

Let me clarify - I really like Bill Maher. I made the comment I did because so many people here want to tell other people what to let their kids watch, that I wanted to see how YOU felt when someone told YOU what to watch. Just because Nick, Noggin or whoever programs 24 hours a day doesn't mean you have to let your kids watch it, does it? Last time I checked, there was thing Dish Network gave me called a TUNER. If you don't want to watch something, DON'T WATCH IT! If you don't want your kids watching something, DON'T LET THEM WATCH IT! Some of you people talk like your kids control the TV. Not in my house! So what if Nick's on at 10:00 - if I say NO, Junior doesn't watch it (besides, "Family Guy" is on at 10, and that's MY TV time!). ;)

Things this thread has proven:

(1) Some parents are bigger kids than the kids they have.

(2) Swearing and insulting is allowed when your an adult and you get angry but not for your kids " Do as I say and not as I do "

(3) Evidence that Charlie Ergen and his company(s) are in a further decline and that any customer service award is unjustified.

(4) A high percentage of the kids referred to on this board are being baby sat by the tv while momy and daddy are

(A) working in the home office
(B) working on chores
(C) working on a coke and rum
(D) working on each other
(E) working on a game of yahoo checkers
(F) all of the above

Things this thread has proven:

(1) Some parents are bigger kids than the kids they have.

That's generally the case, unless they have some sort of mutant spawn.

(2) Swearing and insulting is allowed when your an adult and you get angry but not for your kids " Do as I say and not as I do "

Once again, you would be correct if there were children present. There aren't so your statement is moot.

(3) Evidence that Charlie Ergen and his company(s) are in a further decline and that any customer service award is unjustified.

Very true.

(4) A high percentage of the kids referred to on this board are being baby sat by the tv while momy and daddy are

(A) working in the home office
(B) working on chores
(C) working on a coke and rum
(D) working on each other
(E) working on a game of yahoo checkers
(F) all of the above

A ridiculous conclusion, as nothing anyone has said here indicates that their kids are being "babysat by the TV" or that their kids watch any more TV than is healthy. My children don't watch much TV at all, however this issue is not about how much TV a child watches. It's very bizzare that people keep bringing that canard up. It's amazing that when it comes to a channel of children's programming, it doesn't matter what Dish does, because "kids shouldn't be watching that much TV". Poppycock! It isn't about what kids are or aren't watching. It's about the way Dish is treating it's customers. If this was a channel YOU were interested in, Dish pulled this, you would be upset. But since it's not something you're interested in, it's no big deal. It would be the same as if I went into a thread about Dish doing something crappy regarding a sports channel, and I said "Hey, there's tons of sports channels on. What's the big deal about this one? Why don't you go out and play sports. You don't need to be spending that much time watching TV anyway." Simply because I find sports to be as boring as watching grass grow.

Where did I say children read this ?
Obviously, that's what you meant. At least I hope you meant that, otherwise you have little understanding of the definition of irony. Irony would only be evident in this case were there children present.

Why is Dish doing what they're doing ? Because Dish is "too cheap/lazy or whatever" ? That sounds like an intelligent business decision....

You actually believe companies ALWAYS make the right business decisions? IF that was the case, companies would never go under. They always do what they THINK is a good business decision, but this isn't.

If you want to talk about "principle", you should be upset with Nick for going to 24-hour programming. Maybe your kids don't, and mine certainly do NOT, but TOO MANY kids watch TOO MUCH TV in this country and here we have Nick providing MORE !!!

Red herring. TV as a rule is bad for children, so any amount on TV is not good. Actually, TV isn't that great for anyone, so by your logic, we should be upset that Dish, DirecTV, Cable, etc exist at all. It's ridiculous, and not the point of this thread. You can choose to watch or not to watch. Nobody has you tied up with your eyelids taped open, being forced to watch. Well, maybe they do, I don't know your situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)