Why is the Dish advertising so awful?

Do you think Dish needs better advertising?

• Total voters

driveanaudi

Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I firmly believe Dish has a superior product and interface to DirecTV, yet every piece of advertising I've seen reminds me of something from the late '80's. It's so dated and cheesy, especially when compared with DirecTV's irreverent and funny ads.

Come on, Dish, hire an ad agency that can do some great creative!

Yeah, it amazes me how bad most of the E* spots are. The worst I've seen lately is the "E* for business" spot. It has the old guy posing as a business owner talking about how great E* is for his business since he got it hooked up. It isn't even on par with the quality of a Hover-round commercial. No one would look at this guy and take him seriously as a true business owner....it's just laughable. I don't know what person would look at that commercial and find anything appealing about E* service, other than it looking like an extremely cheap, inferior product. That may not be the case, but that sure is what they reflect in their advertising. Perception is reality.

Try being a retailer and doing advertising with Dish. I try to find ads from them and most of the time they're terrible. Plus they don't get new ads very often. It's bad when i'm a Dish fan and enjoy the competition's comercials.

It looks like they do their advertising in-house as opposed to hiring a professional ad agency. Probably saves them a lot of money, but it sure does make them look cheap.

I agree. They need to hire the best agency in the business, regardless of cost. All their current advertising does is convince the masses that their product is inferior to all others.

Every web site I visit has a Dish Network banner add. They are blanketing the Internet with ads. Right now Dish has the best product so it should start paying off for them soon.

I voted, YES.

But, they have had some creative and effective commercials, IMO. The Turbo HD (which no longer exists) commercials were good and their current HD commercials comparing their price to DirecTV's price is also good.

I firmly believe Dish has a superior product and interface to DirecTV, yet every piece of advertising I've seen reminds me of something from the late '80's. It's so dated and cheesy, especially when compared with DirecTV's irreverent and funny ads.

Come on, Dish, hire an ad agency that can do some great creative!
That right there is the issue. They FAIL to inform potential subs as to why they may have a superior product to DirecTV. Dish would be a better choice for many, and many may also believe they are superior, but Dish fails to get that message out.

I see the commercial FOR Dish Network ON Dish Network every 10 minutes. They do point out that they cost less and have more HD channels.

Of course I see that silly 1,000,000p Directv ad constantly too.

Direct TV ads have more punch. Dish ads are not true and most of my friends went with Direct Tv because of their ads and think Dish is cheesy. I hate it that they think Iam nuts for still having dish.

Charlie you better wake up soon or we may see Direct Tv buy(merge) with Dish and pay our FCC off to make this happen.

Not only bad commercials but one of them gives people the impression that you don't have to pay for the premium packages to get the NFL NBA MLB etc. They say you get the best games for free or something like that.

The title of the Poll Thread is an answer to the poll question, so it is clearly a case of "pot kettle black" - you are criticizing someone and you cannot even create a poll properly... all 3 answers are the same, there is no choice. Clearly, we are not allowed to disagree. The fact that this thread is not closed is proof that there are no mods on this Forum.

The title of the Poll Thread is an answer to the poll question, so it is clearly a case of "pot kettle black" - you are criticizing someone and you cannot even create a poll properly... all 3 answers are the same, there is no choice. Clearly, we are not allowed to disagree. The fact that this thread is not closed is proof that there are no mods on this Forum.

How is YES and NO the same answer, Ken?

and another question for you - Do you think Dish Networks' advertising has been effective for the past 3.5 years? 2006-2009.

Not only bad commercials but one of them gives people the impression that you don't have to pay for the premium packages to get the NFL NBA MLB etc. They say you get the best games for free or something like that.

What's even more funny is that they dont even offer full time RSN's in HD to have that ablity. Also, they dont show all the games, I think it was the other day that dish didnt show the cubs game in HD on comcast sports net. In essence dish is choosing what games you should see. Sorry charlie, people dont like that.

Also, dish claims to have the highest pq in the industry. That is a blatently false adversting. If I was a billionare, I would sue dish over this as the resolution provided to the end consumer on most of their hd channels isnt the native resoultion provided by the channels. IE: they down rez from 1920 x 1080I to 1440 X 1080I. Directv passes along the native res. Dish is a sinking ship. People here wont realize it untill its too late. They did it with voom, and there doing it now! People still wine about voom today!

People save yourselfs from the titanic while you can!:up :rant:

Dish still believes that PRICE is their only major advantage, and they have never highlighted little else in their entire history of advertising. In the old days they would also cite cable's poor and unreliable PQ and poor customer service. That card doesn't have the power it once did now that cable has shaped up to some degree and now offers superior VOD and bundles.

Direct TV has the exclusives and superior marketing, but that is because they have always had DEEP POCKETS that Dish just doesn't have. It is not just the ad or commercial that makes the difference, it is the campaign and tons of $$$$$$$$ for the proper media buys and to have the ads, especially televison, become ubiquitous and that takes even more $$$$$$ than Dish has in their vault.

Dish is still a relatively small company up against the huge multi-national conglomerates and diverse deep pocketed media companies. All the criticisms are fair, but for Dish to be doing as well as they are (remember last quarter: yes, loss of subs but current subs increased their monthly bill and profits were UP, not 0 like at Direct TV) up against the Goliaths is still amazing. Of course, Charlie knows that at some point he either has to buy a big media company or sell Dish to one of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)