Why less audio ouputs on the HR-24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

briffaman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
new york
hi i just upgraded to a HR-24 from an HR-23 and notice theres only one set of audio RCA outputs, as the older HR-23 had 2 sets of RCA outputs, how can i send the audio to my tv speakers as well as my surround sound, im using a samsung plasma as my tv.

If your using an HDMI Cable from the HR24 to your TV, then youre already getting the audio to your tv via the HDMI cable, leaving the audio RCA's free to hook up to your home theater receiver. Are you using the Audio RCAs along with the HDMI cable?

You should not be using RCA for your surround sound. Give us the model # of you surround sound receiver so we can offer the bet wiring configuration for you.

In a typical A/V surround system you should go HDMI from the all the sources; SAT, Blu-ray; (in this case DirecTV) into the A/V unit and then use the HDMI monitor out to the TV.

In a typical A/V surround system you should go HDMI from the all the sources; SAT, Blu-ray; (in this case DirecTV) into the A/V unit and then use the HDMI monitor out to the TV.

This assumes you have a new enough AV receiver that does HDMI switching and that all of your equipment has HDMI output. :)

Let's see.... I have my TV, HR24, DVD changer, DVD burner, the Wii ... so 5 things to deal with in the AV receiver (which does not have HDMI switching)
My way of thinking currently, and this can change, is that I'll let the AV receiver handle audio and let the TV handle video. So HR24 goes HDMI to TV and optical audio to AV receiver. DVD burner is component to TV and optical to AV, DVD changer is component to TV and coaxial digital to AV, The Wii just gets plugged into the DVD burner since it isn't hi def anyways and so the DVD burner's connection to TV and AV get used for that. The TV has it's own optical out to the AV receiver for OTA in surround sound..

So my AV receiver is using 3 optical audio inputs and 1 coaxial digital input. I still have to connect the turntable.... I forgot about that. I'd like to cut down on some equipment, but I'm reluctant to give anything up. :) We really only use the DVD burner to transfer VCR tapes to DVD and we haven't done that in a while. I could probably take the burner and just put it in the bedroom. Then we could watch a DVD in there (although I doubt we would). But then I'd have to reroute the Wii connections.....

I'm way too lazy for all of this. :)

This assumes you have a new enough AV receiver that does HDMI switching and that all of your equipment has HDMI output. :)

Let's see.... I have my TV, HR24, DVD changer, DVD burner, the Wii ... so 5 things to deal with in the AV receiver (which does not have HDMI switching)
My way of thinking currently, and this can change, is that I'll let the AV receiver handle audio and let the TV handle video. So HR24 goes HDMI to TV and optical audio to AV receiver. DVD burner is component to TV and optical to AV, DVD changer is component to TV and coaxial digital to AV, The Wii just gets plugged into the DVD burner since it isn't hi def anyways and so the DVD burner's connection to TV and AV get used for that. The TV has it's own optical out to the AV receiver for OTA in surround sound..

So my AV receiver is using 3 optical audio inputs and 1 coaxial digital input. I still have to connect the turntable.... I forgot about that. I'd like to cut down on some equipment, but I'm reluctant to give anything up. :) We really only use the DVD burner to transfer VCR tapes to DVD and we haven't done that in a while. I could probably take the burner and just put it in the bedroom. Then we could watch a DVD in there (although I doubt we would). But then I'd have to reroute the Wii connections.....

I'm way too lazy for all of this. :)

Sounds like you need a newer receiver with HDMI switching ;)

Sounds like you need a newer receiver with HDMI switching ;)

Only the HR24 has HDMI output. So HDMI switching for me is kinda pointless. My AV receiver is actually slowly dieing. Every once in a while it gives a few loud snap-crackle-pops and goes into PROTECT mode. Then I have to shut it off and turn it back on. Trying to find a new receiver that will simply handle the number of digital audio inputs is not easy. I have a spare, but it only has 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital input. I'd have to remove stuff from "the stack". (Like the burner). And I don't dare THINK about getting a bluRay player. :) .... cause then I *WOULD* need a new receiver and the finance department would never let me get away with it :)

Isn't that the route that you HAVE to have the A/V recvr on all the time to hear the TV ?
I know most do it this way, I don't.
I don't use my Yamaha for everyday TV, mostly movies and Sporting events.

Also, not everyone have HDMI as an option with thier recvrs.

IF you have the option and plan to use your A/V recvr ALL the time, Yes, that is the best way.

edit:
Sorry :(, I posted before I read the rest of the thread.

Last edited:
I heard it is better to connect the a/v source straight to the tv. If the a/v signal goes through a switching device it can degrade the picture and sound. My HR24 is connected to the tv (hdmi1), blue ray (hdmi2), PS3 component.

The optical out on HR24 is connected the optical in on the a/v tuner, that allows the tuner to decode 5.1. And I can turn off the tv and leave on the a/v tuner so I can listen to the music channels.

Last edited:
You can upgrade to a $400ish unit that not only has HDMI switching but also will up-convert other non-HDMI input sources to display to the HDMI monitor out; for true A/V switching capabilities; easy and very inexpensive. Think outside the box of old-school "norms". Signals passing thru a good A/V unit are not degraded to the point of noticing with the naked eye. Plain-jane entry-level HDMI A/V units can be had all day for $200ish. You can pay even more to add sat radio, network streaming and projector / screen controls. A very tiny bit of research goes a LONG way to shopping smart once as opposed to multiple times or settling for outdated gear that doesn't really serve the overall needs.

I heard it is better to connect the a/v source straight to the tv. If the a/v signal goes through a switching device it can degrade the picture and sound. My HR24 is connected to the tv (hdmi1), blue ray (hdmi2), PS3 component.

The optical out on HR24 is connected the optical in on the a/v tuner, that allows the tuner to decode 5.1. And I can turn off the tv and leave on the a/v tuner so I can listen to the music channels.
Not if it's HDMI. HDMI is all digital, so there's no 'degradation'. There's nothing between 1 and 0 so it's either there or it's not (this is also why it is completely unnecessary to pay $100 for an HDMI or optical cable). It's also a stretch to see any analog switching degradation on mid to higher end receivers as long as you use decent quality cables.

And I disagree with cparker on the scarcity of digital inputs on receivers. If anything they are MORE common nowadays. Even a $200 Sony has 3 HDMI, 3 component, 3 optical and 1 coaxial input, 6 analog AV inputs, AND it upconverts non-HD sources to 1080p. What is going away are obsolete connections like S-video, composite, 5.1 DVD, and tape/phono inputs. So if your turntable has a magnetic cartridge you'll need a pre-amp and it'll be labeled AUX, but you'll have no shortage of digital inputs. 3 optical + 1 coaxial is about the norm, because anything connected via HDMI already has a digital audio connection. That is usually assumed to be your set top box for cable/satellite, an Xbox or Roku/Boxee, and a PS3 or Blu Ray.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts