Why LOGO got put into the HD Platium package

Your molehill is another person's mountain.

Ken McPherson

Dude, its a niche cable channel. There is no grand conspiracy. You are assuming way too much intent from the people who gave us the World Fishing Network in HD. :rolleyes:

If you want to see a real conspiracy, check out the TIVO vs. E* thread.

Those seem like logical answers all around. I myself have been considering upgradeing to platinum because a local wrestling promotion in our area actually has a weekly show on it

Are you talking about Ring of Honor on HDnet, or is there another wrestling show on

Dude, its a niche cable channel. There is no grand conspiracy. You are assuming way too much intent from the people who gave us the World Fishing Network in HD. :rolleyes:

If you want to see a real conspiracy, check out the TIVO vs. E* thread.

Actually, Dude, as I have already clearly stated, I am not assuming anything. You're the only one talking about a "grand conspiracy". But I do intend to investigate the situation, regardless of other people's presumptions and value judgments.

Then I'm going to report what I learn (or don't learn) here at Satellite Guys. I hope that's OK with you. :)

Ken McPherson

Sorry about the "Dude" line, but after reading this whole thread, and having plenty of experience with Dish Network, I don't think you will ever find the answer to the Why question that you are looking for; and while you can urge people to call and write Dish to demand it be put on a lower tier, you'll need a lot of letters.

That said, go to the top and email ceo @ echostar.com and ask.

Sorry about the "Dude" line, but after reading this whole thread, and having plenty of experience with Dish Network, I don't think you will ever find the answer to the Why question that you are looking for; and while you can urge people to call and write Dish to demand it be put on a lower tier, you'll need a lot of letters.

That said, go to the top and email ceo @ echostar.com and ask.

I agree completely and the process is already underway...

BTW, my description says "freshman" but I've been a daily reader since SatGuys began. Actually, I go back to the very beginnings of DBS Forums in the days of Dan Collins and Bob Haller (hi Bob). I know the players.

IMO, it's way to early to go to Charlie. I want to get the lower levels of Dish/LOGO management on the record first.

If Dish has a legitimate reason for the price disparity, that's fine. If not, I am more than ready to help generate the kind of heat necessary to help Dish re-think their current LOGO surcharge.

Ken McPherson

IMO, it's way to early to go to Charlie. I want to get the lower levels of Dish/LOGO management on the record first.

If Dish has a legitimate reason for the price disparity, that's fine. If not, I am more than ready to help generate the kind of heat necessary to help Dish re-think their current LOGO surcharge.

Ken McPherson

Go get em Kenny ... you da man!!!

BTW, my description says "freshman" but I've been a daily reader since SatGuys began. Actually, I go back to the very beginnings of DBS Forums in the days of Dan Collins and Bob Haller (hi Bob). I know the players.

Ken McPherson

My gut says just email ceo, you are not going to "Charlie" persay, but to their top level complaint line. You'll never get anyone in Dish at lower levels to say anything; and seriously, I doubt you'll get anything but gobbledly-gook from the CEO email address. :( You might get a better response from LOGO itself.

For what it is worth, Good luck with your fight!

I might upgrade once something on FX comes on that I want to watch in HD. I might justify it if I'm using 2 of these channels.

FX HD isn't in the Platinum pack. If you're not getting it, it's because Dish somehow managed to screw up the authorization for almost everybody.

My gut says just email ceo, you are not going to "Charlie" persay, but to their top level complaint line. You'll never get anyone in Dish at lower levels to say anything; and seriously, I doubt you'll get anything but gobbledly-gook from the CEO email address. :( You might get a better response from LOGO itself.

For what it is worth, Good luck with your fight!

Again, I for one am not yet convinced a fight is appropriate. If that turns out to be the case, in my experience with this arena (25 years, resume available on request :)), you don't go to the boss until you have the leverage to be taken seriously. As you suggest, an individual approaching a corporation by himself/herself will usually be humored or ignored.

Fortunately, these days a decent Facebook page (with a little You Tube backup) can generate the kind of leverage necessary to get a corporation's attention in a relatively short period of time.

Will the Dish/LOGO situation spark that kind of response from the Prop 8 energized GLBT grassroots? I don't know yet, the data isn't in. As I suggested earlier, it's always better to pick your fights based on probable outcome versus simple emotional response.

Ken McPherson

Like a few others here I really wanted Logo but I cannot justify the extra $10 for the one channel I am interested in.

I don't think there is any conspiracy in Dish adding the channel only to the Platinum package. I think it is just a greed issue on Dish Networks' part.

I emailed Logo and Viacom letting them know how disappointed I am that they did not stand up to protect the demographic they are trying to serve by agreeing to let Dish do this in the first place. Logo and Viacom are the ones that sold us out.

You know, another part of this story is that LOGO is a viacom channel. I doubt that viacom pushes for anything more than fair with Dish Network anymore. They know better than anybody that Charlie will drop them if they pull any crap. Matter of fact, D* went back to get a better deal with viacom after E* got the best one when they shut all those channels down five years ago. Probably has more to do with discrimination against viacom than gay people. Believe me, you don't have to be gay to feel discriminated against here at E*. Charlie is a EOE customer alienator. Just ask all the fisher customers. D* lit this channel 4 years ago. I can't believe anybody that really wanted it would still be here. Only the ones that like the fight not really the channel.

Fyi - I just called Dish Network because I wanted to drop my home protection plan and the girl on the phone said that they have a deal for free platinum HD for 3 months. No commitments - just because I'm a good customer. I asked what I did and she says that's usually available for everyone. You might want to try and call in and ask for it.

I got Platinum HD free for 3 months too, but what makes me mad is that I wanted LOGO all this time to see that Sordid Lives Series...and it isn't available on DVD, however... when we finally get the damn channel, LOGO doesn't even play the show anymore, however, I feel like it has became the All Lesbian/RuPaul channel and I am now questioning whether I will keep Platinum HD past my 3 free months.

I got Platinum HD free for 3 months too, but what makes me mad is that I wanted LOGO all this time to see that Sordid Lives Series...and it isn't available on DVD, however... when we finally get the damn channel, LOGO doesn't even play the show anymore, however, I feel like it has became the All Lesbian/RuPaul channel and I am now questioning whether I will keep Platinum HD past my 3 free months.

You really didn't miss much. The series wasn't even close to being as good as the movie was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)