Why no AMC HD? (Now Live Sept 9th)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Again I understand that but even if that is true 6 is not 0.
Given that there are literally dozens of existing HD channels that aren't carried (and the SD situation is even more critical), the near future isn't as bright as one might hope.

Few have missed out on the fact that AMC HD will be the first national channel added since June of last year that didn't require a premium package or HD Extra to view.

Like I’ve said DTV has already locked-in many of us suckers into a contract so they have no incentive in spending a dime on customer values like having a decent Network HDs (i.e. AMC-HD).

They are betting that customers will not pay the hefty penalty of breaking their contracts and in some cases for those of us with multiple DVRs, in my opinion, that can add up to more than a $1000 in penalty not to mention the additional costs of going with a new provider.

My guess is people will leave once their contract expires, and perhaps signing-up with Dish or Comcast. Like I’ve said, this short-sighted business practice of DTV will eventually hurt its earnings and the CEO will have to answer to its shareholders with its declining market capital.
Just my humble opinion.

Like I’ve said DTV has already locked-in many of us suckers into a contract so they have no incentive in spending a dime on customer values like having a decent Network HDs (i.e. AMC-HD).

They are betting that customers will not pay the hefty penalty of breaking their contracts and in some cases for those of us with multiple DVRs, in my opinion, that can add up to more than a $1000 in penalty not to mention the additional costs of going with a new provider.

My guess is people will leave once their contract expires, and perhaps signing-up with Dish or Comcast. Like I’ve said, this short-sighted business practice of DTV will eventually hurt its earnings and the CEO will have to answer to its shareholders with its declining market capital.
Just my humble opinion.

whats more shortsighted not adding channels, or randomly dropping channels?

Given that there are literally dozens of existing HD channels that aren't carried (and the SD situation is even more critical), the near future isn't as bright as one might hope.

Few have missed out on the fact that AMC HD will be the first national channel added since June of last year that didn't require a premium package or HD Extra to view.

<yawn>

Aren't you getting tired of trolling? There are NOT "dozens" of channels. These "dozens" you speak of are ULTRA NICHE. They are not worth the bandwidth. Get over it.

They never had them in HD I thought. And wasn't one of the baseball channels never carried (SNY or YES)? Isn't that what prompted them to say screw it and drop them all?

i thought they had em in sd and dropped them, but i could be wrong
maybe they were part time hd.
oh well either way they dont have them

Which is stupid and ridiculous from DirecTV.

D14 should have the capacity. So wait two years!

Focusing on those excessive multiscreens of Starz/Encore (2009), Showtime/The Movie Channel (2010), and HBO/Cinemax (2011) -- while ignoring AMC, BBC America, Cooking Channel, DIY Network, E!, Fox Movie Channel, Fuse, gmc, GSN, Headline News, History International, HSN, The Hub, IFC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime Movie Network, Nat Geo Wild, Oprah Winfrey Network, Outdoor Channel, Ovation, Oxygen, PBS Kids Sprout, QVC, Reelz Channel, Sportsman Channel, Style Network, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, TV One, We TV (et al.) -- was not at all wise of TPTB at DirecTV.

Last edited:
Last I checked neither Logo or Centric actually broadcast in HD.

Dish just labeled them HD and placed them in the Platinum tier.

Last edited:
Which is stupid and ridiculous from DirecTV.

D14 should have the capacity. So wait two years!

Focusing on those excessive multiscreens of Starz/Encore (2009), Showtime/The Movie Channel (2010), and HBO/Cinemax (2011) -- while ignoring AMC, BBC America, Centric, Cooking Channel, DIY Network, E!, Fox Movie Channel, Fuse, gmc, GSN, Headline News, History International, HSN, The Hub, IFC, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime Movie Network, Logo, Nat Geo Wild, Oprah Winfrey Network, Outdoor Channel, Ovation, Oxygen, PBS Kids Sprout, QVC, Reelz Channel, Sportsman Channel, Style Network, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, TV One, We TV (et al.) -- was not at all wise of TPTB at DirecTV.

Perhaps for some of the channels you listed some customers would leave. Many aren't worth the bandwidth they would take up (yes, that's my opinion). What about Dish totally ignoring the sports fans in the NYC, CT, and NJ markets? How many customers do you think they would have if they carried the NYC rsns? The Style network, Oprah, QVC? Really?

Perhaps for some of the channels you listed some customers would leave. Many aren't worth the bandwidth they would take up (yes, that's my opinion). What about Dish totally ignoring the sports fans in the NYC, CT, and NJ markets? How many customers do you think they would have if they carried the NYC rsns? The Style network, Oprah, QVC? Really?

If those channels are worth carrying in SD, why aren't they worth carrying in HD? (I didn't list them based on my own personal tastes.)

I am not into a side discussion here speculating on whether people may drop service over missing high def channels that are carried by DirecTV's competitors, Dish Network and cable companies like Comcast.

D14 will be what allows DirecTV to catch up. Frustration is that DirecTV subscribers are going to have to wait a couple more years. Unless DirecTV can create some room to bring in a good dozen in addition to AMC HD and truTV HD.

If those channels are worth carrying in SD, why aren't they worth carrying in HD? (I didn't list them based on my own personal tastes.)

You are proving my point for me, although you may not even realize it. There is only so much room for channels on Directv, since they don't sacrifice quality for quantity like Dish does. They have made a corporate decision as to what they think will give them the best return on their investment, just like any company does. I'd like to have many of the channels you have listed, but I also want the ones I have to look as good as reasonably possible.

You are proving my point for me, although you may not even realize it. There is only so much room for channels on Directv, since they don't sacrifice quality for quantity like Dish does. They have made a corporate decision as to what they think will give them the best return on their investment, just like any company does. I'd like to have many of the channels you have listed, but I also want the ones I have to look as good as reasonably possible.

Unfortunately this concept is completely lost on all of them. They'd rather Directv stoop to Dish's level and keep squeezing in channels and cutting bandwidth so they can watch QVC and HSN in HD (Lite). It's like trying to teach algebra to a parakeet.

..... But NOT before people who are paying EXTRA for premium channels get what they are PAYING EXTRA for.

I don't get why the minority who pay more per sub but less over all should get MORE movie channels. Talk about repetitiveness in programming. Why would you assume that those who sub to the premium channels want more instead of the others. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Did DIRECTV delay rolling out AMC in HD? I thought Engadget and this site said it would be available today, but I've not seen it in my guide and no one's commented one way or the other ...

D14 will be what allows DirecTV to catch up. Frustration is that DirecTV subscribers are going to have to wait a couple more years. Unless DirecTV can create some room to bring in a good dozen in addition to AMC HD and truTV HD.

It is more likely that every one of those D14 slots is reserved for the targeted 1000 PPVs and 3Ds, just like the once anticipated D12 was.

My Humble Opinion.

Just my humble opinion.

You've guessed wrong about some ppl. I've been out of contract since Oct '10, still with DirecTV. Glad to see AMCHD arrive but I don't watch the channel. Dish isn't an interest for me as a sports viewer. Comcast is the last provider I'd choose due to their policy of witholding some of their sports feeds from satt providers.

Did DIRECTV delay rolling out AMC in HD? I thought Engadget and this site said it would be available today, but I've not seen it in my guide and no one's commented one way or the other ...

I believe it's scheduled to launch Fri 09/09 6am ET.

Like scoop8 said, it's scheduled to go live this Friday. For some reason they aren't doing this one on Wednesday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)