Why not Mediacom??

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I notice that Mediacom doesn't have a section of its own, I suppose that is because they are smaller. But since I'm always looking for a better way, I'm meeting tomorrow with a Mediacom rep to discuss switching to them.

Essentially they are advertising their ElitePak @$139.95 for a year, then $20 more the 2nd year and full retail after that. For that money I would get :
Pace MG-1 - same as the Pace XG1 but rebranded for other than Comcast. 6-tuner unit running TIVO software. Is getting fairly good reviews. Any downsides to this unit?

Prime PlusTV w/3 additional Digital Paks - This would give me all the non-premium HD channels I actually watch though the channel count is less than Dish or Direct.

All the Premiums with the exception of EPIX. While I like Epix they do repeat worse than any other Premium channel

3 Digital converters - I actually wouldn't need all these as I only have one TV

PrimePlus Internet - 50/5 service

Comparing estimated MC bills to Dish, I would save about $50/month total over what I'm paying for Dish and Internet from Mediacom, so from a financial standpoint it makes very good sense. That savings is figured against my actual Dish cost with some discounts I'm getting from them though they expire rather soon, to Mediacom estimated from their advertised price plus about $7 in sports & local add on fee and estimating what the taxes are.

Seems to make sense even though Mediacom is much more difficult to deal with when issues arise. My experience with them has been pretty good over the years. I've had internet with them and they lived up to what they offered and the service has been good with very few outages and those didn't last long. I'm assuming their TV service is as good as their internet service.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

thanks.

I had been getting Internet with Mediacom, phone with Vonage and TV with DirecTV. Mediacom offered me a good price for an all-three bundle -- about $60 less than I was paying for all three services. Plus a year of HBO for $10 a month. So I canceled DirecTV after seven years.

Mediacom hardware is the same as yours, but I do have four TVs, so I have the Pace MG-1 and two minis, plus an SD converter for the 13-in. non-HD set in my kitchen.

Can't say I'm disappointed in any way with the Pace box. It's responsive, easy to navigate, and has phone and Internet programmable functionality. The HD picture quality from Mediacom is comparable with DirecTV's, and Mediacom's SD picture is light years better. Plus, I get all my local sub channels, which I wasn't getting with DirecTV. And I don't have to climb up on the roof to get the snow off the dish.

I get all the non-sports channels in HD I was watching regularly with DirecTV. That said, I did lose the DirecTV Sports Pack (and access to the myriad pro teams claiming the Des Moines market), as well as the MLB, NHL and NBA networks, plus all the NBC Sports Live Extra channels (Mediacom has two of them, both in SD), and the UEFA soccer channels. But I didn't think those were worth $60 a month!

Footnote: I hadn't received my return kit from DirecTV so I called them, and they offered me about $50 off what I was getting from them (Choice Xtra, HD DVR whole-home with four TVs, Sports Pack). It is tempting, but now that I see how much better Mediacom has gotten over the years, I'm not sure I want to go back. I have until March 29 to cancel Mediacom TV without locking into a two-year agreement from the time they turned on service, which was the end of December.

Thanks for the feedback with your experience.

I met with the rep today and he is supposed to come back either tonight or tomorrow to finalize the deal. I had asked him about guide width and how many series links I can have but he didn't know. He thought it had 3 hour width, and said he had been told I could have an 'unlimited' number of series links.

What I find amazing is how little real info about Tivo and the Pace boxes there is out there. They've been out over a year now and you'd think some reviewer would do a write up. Or how about a users manual? Doesn't seem to be one.

Oh well, half the fun of switching is fiddling with things.

Well we are not off to a good start!! :(

Rep never did call or come back, but this morning a package showed up from Mediacom. Unfortunately this isn't going to work. They sent a Tivo Series 4 4-tuner version and I was very specific that I would only accept a Pace MG1 w/6 tuners.

And they sent a mini which I don't need or want.

Called the rep and he said he'd get it fixed and come out today to get this straightened out.

The problem I have with them right now is the wrong equipment sent and nothing from them in writing committing to the price. So until those two things get fixed, this is definitely on hold.

Hopefully I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I think it is important to ensure I'm getting what I want at the price I agree to and not getting any surprises.

Talked to the rep, said he would be out today to finalize things. Nope, he didn't show up nor did he call.

So I'll take this crap to UPS tomorrow and use their handy return label. If they can't even get the sales process done it makes me realize this would not be a good move.

I know about the forums, been reading there a bit.

But I don't know that I want to put up with the lack of apparent support even in the new sales cycle. I was a consultive sales type for many years and I can tell you my clients and potential clients NEVER complained that I was johnny-on-the-spot with calls and visits. And if something fell through the cracks, I was right there to see that it got fixed or explain what had happened and what we were going to do about it.

This particular yahoo made a house call a couple weeks after I got the internet with them, and I called him when I was ready to seriously look at making a move. And he was quick to come and lay it out. Then virtually nothing! He hasn't given me final figures, they sent the wrong equipment that I now have to get sent back to them (can't just take them to the office for TIVO gear), and I expect that in a day or 2 I'll see another shipment from them.

From reading in the forum it seems that the cure for sales/upgrades and so forth is all by phone with no email followup with things written down that are agreed to. I doubt that will suffice in my case as I like things at least confirmed in writing.

Oh well, pipes are frozen, no water and I'm irritated. Gonna be a great day!! :(

I did post in the Mediacom support forums and found out where things lay with them.

The sales rep just outright lied as this area doesn't get the Pace units yet. Just the POS Premier Q that no one with brains would accept.

Screw them!

Mediacom finally came back and told me they could get me the Pace XG1 6-tuner Tivo unit. So I let them make the sales pitch again, but not with the 'direct' rep locally. Here is the offer they made:

Pace XG1
Prime Plus internet - 50/5 service
Prime TV - family plus starz encore
2 digital packs - for additional sports and other channels I wanted
HBO/SHO/MAX/TMC

With the self-described great discounts = $166/month plus local/sports fee and taxes! This with a 2 year contract.

Now I know why the local guy didn't want to call back! :)

Their ad said for the same package with 3 Tivo Minis included would cost $139.95 plus fees and taxes. When I brought that up they tried to dance around the difference. In the end I told them since it wouldn't really save much, why would I want to change?

Essentially this level of programming would be about the same as the T200 w/Dish though Mediacom is missing some actual channels of no interest. Plus all the premiums and BB@Home after I take into account the discounts I can usually get with 2-fers and 1/2 off deals. Plus the internet from Mediacom. All total would come up to around $170 or so bottom line. Mediacom with the additional taxes and fees that don't apply to satellite, would total somewhere around $185.

So with them I would get less for more. Not gonna happen.

I have been fully satisfied for the past few years with Mediacom's 50/5 Internet service (not much choice though, it's either that or 6Mbps AT&T DSL). I would never, ever, under any circumstances use them for phone or TV, though. Outages are rare but when they happen they are unexplained and there's never an estimate for how long it will be.

You are right about their lack of ever putting anything in writing. Especially what channels and packages are available where, and what they actually cost.

I have been fully satisfied for the past few years with Mediacom's 50/5 Internet service (not much choice though, it's either that or 6Mbps AT&T DSL). I would never, ever, under any circumstances use them for phone or TV, though. Outages are rare but when they happen they are unexplained and there's never an estimate for how long it will be.

You are right about their lack of ever putting anything in writing. Especially what channels and packages are available where, and what they actually cost.

Yeah, I'm very satisfied with the 50/5 internet from them. And as you not, outages are rare. The very few I've had didn't last very long but they sure don't tell you much if you call.

I've got the complete listing of channels broken down by packages, but it doesn't have the price on it. And when you talk to the sales reps, they will tell you the cost of the package you get on whatever deal they are striking, but getting them to tell you the full retail is like pulling hen's teeth, they get very dodgy when you ask for that.

Around here our choice is Frontier DSL and I think it tops out at 12/2 for some areas and lower in others, or Mediacom which can go up to 150/20.

All I do is go to their channel lineup page, plug in my ZIP code and I get a list of what channels are available and in what package. I am surprised you can't do this. Also, when I called them to inquire about service, they told me what everything cost.

Although local stores are populated by local people, their customer service is now centralized. Did you try calling customer service or go to a local store?

Yes, getting the list of channels by package is fairly easy. But that is the end of easy and in writing. There are deals offered online, but a regular price list just isn't there at all. And frankly the regular price is as important as is the deal cost.

Deals they will make are done on the phone and email confirmation is not offered. They seem to not want things written down. And I can tell you that with this last go 'round with Mediacom, when it comes to offers I wouldn't be interested in all verbal.

Of course since I live in Illinois I can record any calls I want to as this is a single permission state, but that's a PITA on the iPhone.

I could use their local office, but that is the worst place to do it as they are the least informed from my experience.

Ordered new service with Mediacom today. I'll not be using their hamstrung Pace, but using the new to me, refurbed Roamio Plus from TIVO. I won't have PPV or VOD with Mediacom, but will have most of the other streaming stuff I use.

I'll save about $30/month over the combo of Dish+Mediacom Prime Plus (50/5) internet for essentially all the channels I care about. And this without contract.

I'll post how it goes and my opinion of Mediacom's service here. If their TV service is as good as their internet, I'll be happy.

I've had the Mediacom service now for a few weeks and have to say I'm very pleased so far. HD PQ is great and SD PQ is very watcheable. While I have fewer channels available, I have all the ones I watch and in HD. The Tivo Roamio is a slick box. I love the search and OnePass as they look not only at the cable offerings, but at the streaming ones I subscribe to also. Very well integrated, to the point that I use the streaming stuff more than I have in the past because it is all on one box.

One of the great features is that let's say Amazon Prime has a series up to a year ago and then HuluPlus has the current year, the search and OnePass will see that and show the changeover. If you're binge watching it won't go to the next in the series if the service that has it changed though, you have to do that yourself.

Yesterday I found out about an upgrade to the internet service that was available to me. Was paying $45/month for 50/5 service with a 350Gb data cap. The upgrade to the 100/10 service is costing me $50/month with a 999Gb data cap which will rise another $5 in the 2nd year. Speedtest shows the actual speeds at 115/18, so I'm very pleased with that, but I got it mostly to get the data cap increase.

A couple of downsides, both to do with streaming:
1. Getting into the streamed show is a little on the slow side as the associated app has to be loaded. For instance, getting to Netflix is slower than on the HWS. Once your in it is fine.
2. HuluPlus is a little hinky. If you stop a show while it is playing and then come back to it, often it will have a thumbnail of which show is playing in the middle of the screen. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn't.

While the UI on the Tivo isn't quite as pretty as the Hopper, it is head and shoulders above Direct's even though, like Direct's it is more textual in nature.

Never tried streaming off the TiVo. I use Roku and PS4.

Gotten past the withdrawal symptoms of not being able to see Tottenham play every week. My deadline to bug out without penalty is March 29. But I'm very pleased. Surprisingly so.

Best thing I ever did was drop Mediacrap for Dish. Horrible high priced service. Picture quality was bad. Now they want me back, HA HA HA, NEVER. They come to my door and send me offers weekly, Take the hint Mediacrap, you will NEVER get back in. Very dishonest about there pricing. They wont tell you the REAL price after the introductory offer is over.

Actually they will send you the full retail price list if you ask for it. But just like all cable/sat providers, they will dicker a bit if you call.
I've been with them a month now, with my own TiVo Roamio and am pleased with the overall package combo that has all the channels I actually do watch, HD as good as I was getting with satellite, and very fast internet with a 1TB data cap at a better price.

Reactions: Bronxiniowa
A couple of downsides, both to do with streaming:
1. Getting into the streamed show is a little on the slow side as the associated app has to be loaded. For instance, getting to Netflix is slower than on the HWS. Once your in it is fine.
2. HuluPlus is a little hinky. If you stop a show while it is playing and then come back to it, often it will have a thumbnail of which show is playing in the middle of the screen. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn't.

While the UI on the Tivo isn't quite as pretty as the Hopper, it is head and shoulders above Direct's even though, like Direct's it is more textual in nature.

The UI is a bit clunky for streaming services which is kind of weird because it's very good for everything else. For Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus specifically the interfaces don't appear to be HD either. Netflix on Tivo essentially runs the same interface as the Xbox One but it looks much sharper and loads up much faster on the Xbox One.

That being said, my Tivo Roamio has basically taken over all of my TV duties for a couple reasons. First, it has all the services I use most (Netflix, Amazon Instant, MLB.tv and Hulu Plus) in one box. Before the Roamio my Apple TV was my main streaming device but I had to boot up the Xbox One for Amazon Instant. In my year and a half as a cord cutter HBO Go and Watch ESPN on the Apple TV were big but now that I have cable I don't really need them.

The biggest reason the Roamio has taken over streaming duties is 1080p/24Hz. This is the only Netflix capable device I own (Apple TV, Roku 2XD, Xbox One, PS4) that will automatically switch to 24Hz on Netflix content that supports it. I really do like the Apple TV's Netflx UI more than any other platform. In my setup, the combination of the Apple TV outputting 24Hz Netflix content at 60Hz, my AVR, and my TV produced some pretty nasty judder on panning shots. This problem didn't seem to pop up as much on iTunes purchased shows and movies but it has been a problem since day one on Netflix for me. With the Tivo passing through 1080p/24Hz content instead of converting it to 60Hz that screen judder is completely gone.

I've been with them a month now, with my own TiVo Roamio and am pleased with the overall package combo that has all the channels I actually do watch, HD as good as I was getting with satellite, and very fast internet with a 1TB data cap at a better price.
Apparently it matters where you live. Where Mediacom has introduced whole-home TiVo service, such as Des Moines, I can honestly say my PQ, HD, DVR and on-demand services are as good or better than I was getting with DirecTV. The national customer service has been very supportive, as is the online support forum. (Yes, the local office could be better, but that's another story.)Also, my picture doesn't go out in thunderstorms. :) I have lost a few channels, such as MLB Network and NHL Network, but being able to record local OTA subchannels more than makes up for it.

Of course when my promotional price expires I'll have to look at my bill. But even then I can't imagine I'll be paying more for TV, phone and Internet than I was paying when I had DirecTV.