Why Purchase a PS3?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Hey, I know this post will get flamed but with all the bad news from Sony about the PS3 I wonder if anyone could fathom why anyone else would want a PS3 -- so here goes.

When Bill Gates first bought out the XBOX he stated that he did not want to replace the PC. However, with the XBOX360 that is exactly what he wants to do. Hence, any game for the PC can easily be ported over to the XBOX360 and vice-versa. Why even under Vista you will be able to play games between the PC and the XBOX360.

One thing though, what will be the differance? Any game will always look better on the PC, have more control options on the PC, and generally be controled easier by the PC. Only differance is the price differance between the PC and the XBOX360. With the price of high end computer equipment the XBOX360 can deliver basically the same experiance as a PC making it easier for the masses to buy in.
As for differance -- there is none. A game for the PC if very popular will be ported to the XBOX360 and a very popular game for the XBOX360 will be ported to the PC. Hence, there is no differance between the games except for maybe a few levels and/or additional features (which can be added easily to either platform now--for a price?).

Now why purchase a PS3? That BluRay thingy might not work, the thing is too expensive, who wants to play games on this thing? Well, for one, there are over 110 million PS2 players. If only a 3rd upgrade to the PS3 that equates to aproximately 37 million PS3's sold over its lifetime. Those are not bad numbers. My guess is that after 5 years the PS3 with price drops will be around 50 million sold.

The real reason for these purchases might be because the BluRay thingy might actually work. But lets forget that and focus on the games. Not all Xbox360/PC games are going to make it to the PS3 and not all PS3 games are going to make it to the XBOX360/PC platforms. This is the real reason the PS3 will be successful. Bill Gates might be the richest man in the world but he can not buy everything and unless he comes up with alot more money (and the way Vista is going right now that is not going to happen very soon) he is not going to be able to buy Sony. And Sony does happen to have some very big games coming down the pike that are currently exclusive to the PS3 only. Just like the XBOX360/PC has games that will only be on those platforms.

So who really wins this round? WE DO!! Thats right those of us who are gamers, who like to play games, who like to compete in these alternate realities. Both systems will have great games and just like the last generation, in about 3 years most of us will have both systems. Who cares who sells more units, its the games we play that drive our purchases not the systems. This is the only reason Nintendo can do so well -- their games, the ones that sell their systems are only on their systems. You guys let me know when Mario sees the light of day on either the XBOX360 or the PS3.

Wheather you purchase a XBOX360 now and a PS3 later or wait for the PS3 and purchase the XBOX360 later, most of us will end up owning both systems because of the games. That is what has happened every generation, as the units get older and less expensive we poney up because there are games we want to play. And all the players know this.

As I said earlier, the reason to purchase a PS3 is the same as buying a Wii or an XBOX360 or that new DualCore PC -- the games baby, the games!:hungry:

Last edited:
You might ave a point with games, yes. :)
However those 100+M PS2 weren't sold at %50600 but less than half and MS would be crazy to kill the PC with Xbox - every sold Vista or XP is clean profit immediately unlie 360 - and believe me, if something becomes very successful on console, it gets ported to the PC, no matter what system it comes from, a name change could do it.
PC biz is stilll BIG - each year well over 100+M PCs are being sold - each year more than PS2 made under its lifetime. ;)

Good post Joe.

All 3 consoles will have some amazing, must have exclusive games. Which is why I will eventually own all 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)