Why recording both rather than new that is selected for a series?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MVPinBoynton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
I selected First Run for for my series recordings; but am getting repeats also, like I selected Both. I thought that perhaps it is doing it because the Genie is new; but that doesn't sound reasonable to me. Is there a solution to this issue?

Sometimes the broadcast date isn't correct or it's missing. If there isn't a date of broadcast, it will record it as a new episode.

You will get some older episodes that the Genie "thinks" its new (because it hadnt recorded it before)

When I lost signal a month or so ago (heavy wet snow on the dish knocked out the whole complex for about 14 hours) when I plugged it back in and got it up and working anything that was "new" on Sunday if there was a repeat of it the Genie recorded that week only.

Give it a week or so and it will be fine. But also as Chip noted if there is no date in the info it will record. Sadly I've recorded the same episode of Alaska State Troopers I think 4 times now. 1st time it had episode date info. The last 3 just say "2012"

Good to know. As long as it is a normal occurrence, I won't worry about it. Fortunately, there is plenty of room on the Genie, so it isn't a big problem.

When you set up a series link, the DVR will ALWAYS record the first episode even if it is a repeat, it uses the episode as a kind of "foundation" for the series. All DirecTV DVRs do this (except maybe the THR2, I am not sure about that).

Sounds reasonable to me. Thank you all for the info. I have learned a lot from this fine forum over the last 5 days and am really enjoying being a D* subscriber.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newcomer, Direct TV sign up

? on sports pack and if I can get Pacers games

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)