Why should I keep my C Band system?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a 10' mesh dish and a 4DTV receiver. Why should I keep this system?:confused:

Even if there were NO 4DTV channels, you could use your 10 foot dish, and cabling with an FTA receiver for the large amount of other C-band offerings available. A lot depends upon whether you need a structured viewing environment like 4DTV , or you're willing to roam the sky to pick up what's available.

I agree , the Hits w5 is probably going to happen. Free to air signals offer a lot of rare looks at channels you won't see on 4dtv or cable.

I agree with all the posts, you many need to invest in some new (or used) equipment but it can be an enjoyable hobby. If your dish is already motorized you're well on your way to enjoy other content the is totally free.

I have a 10' mesh dish and a 4DTV receiver. Why should I keep this system?:confused:

FYI, it's not up to us to convince you that you need to keep it. Obviously YOU have reservations about s**t canning it because you wound up here? My suggestion is that you spend about a week reading over posts on this board to see if you can fully justify to YOURSELF whether you need to either keep it or can it.

Join us"Die-Hards".
It's actually over 10 years now that various sources have been proclaiming the imminent demise of "B.U.D.s".
While c-band analogue is on it's last legs, c-band itself will likely be around as long as there are rain and snow storms.

agreed- c band is the main distrubution system to cable headends and large corporations. it will probably never go "away". in fact it will only get better as there are less and less people with working systems so encyption wont be needed as badly.

----- I could say you should not keep it! _---You need to ship it to me, RIGHT AWAY, so I can ENJOY more..... Of course my problem here is the rocky soil and the extreme wind so I have dishes I have not gotten up yet, so....

Now if I can remove my tounge from my cheek, Probably number one reason, it is probably paid for. Next, The dish is aligned and working. If you have an actuator / motor you can get a whole lot more channels than I can watch! You can get a used FTA receiver for very little outlay for SD TV, somewhat more money for an HD receiver and watch away. If you already have KU equipment, since the C band is working, why get rid of it?

The other replies get a thumbs up from me also!
Enjoy it
POP

rv1pop x 2 :)

I noticed this past year three 10 foot dishes and one 12 footer disappear from the landscape. BUDs are becoming scarce where I live. There will come a time when getting into C-band with a ten foot dish will be cost prohibitive for the average Joe or Jane. A ten foot mesh dish is a very nice size, and takes up very little room in the basement. Heck, I've got panels in a spare bedroom at the moment. Go collect a few spare BUDs, and spare your current dish a trip to the recycler. BUDs are the gift that keeps on giving.

I had a 10 foot backup dish given to me as well as several receivers, but I lost them all in Katrina. Would love to find another 10 footer to have as a spare.

Funny thing about my dish after Katrina... The underground cable was blown by either a surge or lightning strike and the actuater ruined by being under salt water, but after I replaced those items the dish was still fine on arc and had no damage to the dish itself. I watched my big dish in a FEMA trailer until my house was ready to move back into :)

The dish has actually been through 3 hurricanes. Before things get too rough I point the dish all the way west so that the rim of the dish "slices" the wind from the south rather than bracing into it. Katrina was the only flooding in history in my area. The dish only went about half under, but that was enough to submerge the actuator motor.

Fire mine up again?

My 12' BUD has been sitting on the high pole for several years now unused. Maybe next summer I will bring it back to life. I remember my Polarotor was having problems switching before I turned the system down. The motor drive was working good though. It was always a little balky though at 40 below but it's all original except for the polarotor and over 20 years old!

My 12' BUD has been sitting on the high pole for several years now unused. Maybe next summer I will bring it back to life. I remember my Polarotor was having problems switching before I turned the system down. The motor drive was working good though. It was always a little balky though at 40 below but it's all original except for the polarotor and over 20 years old!

I'm always a little balky at 40 below. Show us some photos, if you don't mind.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts