Why the NHL Network blackout???

Giant25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I know it's been asked before but I still don't get it. I live north of Los Angeles, in Arroyo Grande, CA (zip 93420) and the Sharks v Columbus game on NHL Network tomorrow (11/4) is not available in my area. I can watch all other games (except Kings and Ducks, which I'd expect) on NHL Network but not Sharks games. I don't live in the Sharks local area nor do I get Comcast Sports California (home of the Sharks). I've tried calling Dish (not that they can give any info here, it's a NHLN thing) and they say I "probably live inside the San Jose area." Um no. Anyone know what can be done? Or how to find out by zip code if they think I live in the Bay Area? This happens every Sharks game...
Thanks.

There really isn't anything you can do through Dish. Your best bet is to email the Sharks and the NHL and follow that up with a letter to each as well. I had a similar problem a few years ago with Center Ice and it took letter to the Ducks and the NHL in order to fix the problem. Best of luck as it took almost the entire season to fix the issue, but it was eventually fixed. Dish doesn't set the blackout rules, the NHL and the teams do. If by some chance Dish is screwing up the blackout rules, they still won't do anything to fix it. It will take intervention from the NHL or the Sharks to get it fixed.
Good luck!

Found this on the web and they use San Jose as an example. It all depends on who owns the broadcast rights in your area.

NHL® CENTER ICE®
This is an out-of-market pro hockey subscription, providing up to 25 regular season games a week. At the moment, this package does not provide Canadian vs. Canadian team games, but it does include Canadian teams when playing an American team in a game we carry.

Like NBA LEAGUE PASS, the blackout area(s) for games on NHL CENTER ICE will vary according to who owns the broadcast rights, and both teams are subject to a blackout on NHL CENTER ICE. Again, the definition depends on the entity carrying the game in each city. Here's an example:

The Boston Bruins are playing the San Jose Sharks. The game is being carried by WSBK-TV in Boston. NHL CENTER ICE customers who live within the Designated Metropolitan Area (viewable TV area) of Boston will be blacked out on the game and will have to watch it on WSBK-TV. NHL CENTER ICE subscribers outside that area will be able to see the game, except the game is being carried on the West Coast by SPORTSCHANNEL Pacific. So, NHL CENTER ICE subscribers within the Sharks Sphere of Influence (an area defined by the NHL) will be blacked out .

Found this on the web and they use San Jose as an example. It all depends on who owns the broadcast rights in your area.

NHL® CENTER ICE®
This is an out-of-market pro hockey subscription, providing up to 25 regular season games a week. At the moment, this package does not provide Canadian vs. Canadian team games, but it does include Canadian teams when playing an American team in a game we carry.

Like NBA LEAGUE PASS, the blackout area(s) for games on NHL CENTER ICE will vary according to who owns the broadcast rights, and both teams are subject to a blackout on NHL CENTER ICE. Again, the definition depends on the entity carrying the game in each city. Here's an example:

The Boston Bruins are playing the San Jose Sharks. The game is being carried by WSBK-TV in Boston. NHL CENTER ICE customers who live within the Designated Metropolitan Area (viewable TV area) of Boston will be blacked out on the game and will have to watch it on WSBK-TV. NHL CENTER ICE subscribers outside that area will be able to see the game, except the game is being carried on the West Coast by SPORTSCHANNEL Pacific. So, NHL CENTER ICE subscribers within the Sharks Sphere of Influence (an area defined by the NHL) will be blacked out .

That's old and very outdated. I guess at one time we couldn't get Canadian fees on NHLCI here in the states. That's changed. Now we just need the HD Canadian feeds. I guess we'll get those one day.

That's old and very outdated. I guess at one time we couldn't get Canadian fees on NHLCI here in the states. That's changed. Now we just need the HD Canadian feeds. I guess we'll get those one day.

Yeah that one day will be nice, but since Dish can't even show the Bruins in HD (NESN games on center ice :mad:) I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Yeah that one day will be nice, but since Dish can't even show the Bruins in HD (NESN games on center ice :mad:) I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

What are you talking about I see Bruins in HD on NESN on center ice all the time not every time but many many times.

I should have clarified that they do show it sometimes but skip it a lot. The two games on Sat. & Sun didn't have HD and I think they're skipping a game sometime this week. Plus I noticed a few other games from other networks they are skipping also.

So is the bottom line really that someone out there has determined that I fall within the Sharks Sphere of Influence?? Are others watching the Sharks v Columbus game tonight without an issue?

So is the bottom line really that someone out there has determined that I fall within the Sharks Sphere of Influence?? Are others watching the Sharks v Columbus game tonight without an issue?

Could it be that Dish or NHL Center Ice has a number in your zip code inverted somewhere? A 94XXX zip code would put you in the Bay Area...its just a thought.

I had the same problem. Last night I had the Bluejackets game on both NHL network and FSN Ohio. I live in Canton Ohio. BUT when the pens play on v.s, nhl network, or when the center ice was free, I never got the game. Blacked out! I live in Ohio! makes no since!! Next time I will call Dish up about it.:confused:

Indemand on cable has been using Rogers HD feeds. Directv I doubt. CI would be worth it if Dish would add all those Rogers and TSN games in HD. Now that NHL network doesn't have the 2nd game of the CBC doubleheader we are downgraded to lousy SD coverage on CI. This is why I did not renew

You have Directv, don't you? Dish didn't have the Rogers HD feed of the game on.

Actually, I have the cable version Indemand for now, and this is the 2nd time I could see a HD Version Sportsnet Hockey Game.

A couple other things I noticed with the Indemand version that are different than the previous years Dish version of NHLCI;

I get a mosiac channel showing 4 games at the same time; plus the NHCI channels are showing replays later in the night and throughout the following day. Once the game was over with Dish; the only way you could see a replay was, to sub to the Sports Pack and view the game on the actual RSN that carried the game. Indemand maps the replay games down the the a NHLCI channel for you.

Ok, well I've put in calls and emails to Dish and to NHL Network (anyone have a contact at NHL Network??) This thursday's Sharks Flyers game is blacked out, no surprise I guess. I'd really just like to talk to a single human being that understands the reason for this blackout. Anyone have any new ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)