Why Update S329 is Needed...NOW

I believe it was in no folders. I'm surprised so many people use that view. I can't stand that view, too messy looking for me. I use folders by title.

Same here. I was wondering why I had not seen that before.

I really don't like how my recordings looks now. Too small for the tiles. And why does the blue outline need to blink? It's distracting IMO.

Absolutely ridiculous to who ? Only to people who use the custom guide feature and I'll bet it ain't a very big number.

You know this how? It's not a deal breaker for me but if barely anyone uses this feature then why even have it in the 1st place?

The OPs post really show how Dish is spending too much time and resources in design instead of fixing longtime known bugs. Let us fix the engine so the car runs then we can focus on the Corinthian leather interior, especially when this update takes away some good stuff that should have been left as is.

...but if barely anyone uses this feature then why even have it in the 1st place?

Good Lord, man...don't give them any more ideas! They already showed us with this update they have no problem removing useful features. :p

You know this how?
I don't, just like you don't know it's not true. It's my opinion, based on what I see at friend's homes, my family and relative's homes, and so on. NO ONE I know uses custom guides (including myself). I did set them up on a receiver a long time ago (mainly a guide for me that filtered things like the Nick channels, Disney, etc as well as a "kid's" version that only included kid-friendly channels) but no one used them.

Just because people here use them, like them, and want them, doesn't make it mainstream. People here are power users, TV geeks (I'm a geek myself, albeit not a TV one, so I say that in a positive manner), and so on. Custom guides are something that Dish has offered for a very long time, so it may be "tradition" as much as anything. Since I don't use them, I can't confirm if it's still a problem, but for a long time, Hoppers (and Joeys, I presume) did not remember your guide selection. Wouldn't they fix that if it was important to a lot of customers ? These set-tops report, or can report, everything. Dish knows what people use and don't use and prioritize accordingly.

I don't, just like you don't know it's not true. It's my opinion, based on what I see at friend's homes, my family and relative's homes, and so on. NO ONE I know uses custom guides (including myself). I did set them up on a receiver a long time ago (mainly a guide for me that filtered things like the Nick channels, Disney, etc as well as a "kid's" version that only included kid-friendly channels) but no one used them.

Just because people here use them, like them, and want them, doesn't make it mainstream. People here are power users, TV geeks (I'm a geek myself, albeit not a TV one, so I say that in a positive manner), and so on. Custom guides are something that Dish has offered for a very long time, so it may be "tradition" as much as anything. Since I don't use them, I can't confirm if it's still a problem, but for a long time, Hoppers (and Joeys, I presume) did not remember your guide selection. Wouldn't they fix that if it was important to a lot of customers ? These set-tops report, or can report, everything. Dish knows what people use and don't use and prioritize accordingly.

I understand Hall but you and I don't know for sure either way.I know folks who do use favorites. You said "I'll bet" so perhaps we should ;) :p

I agree with Hall that the number of people who use favorites list is 'problably' a lot smaller than you think. I hate favorites lists, I don't like limiting what I see in the guide because I don't have a set list of channels I watch. I watch whatever catches my eye or looks interesting. Other people don't take the time to set them up because they have a handful of channels they watch and they know the numbers for those channels. I think favorites lists are more of a power user feature than a normal consumer feature.

I agree with Hall that the number of people who use favorites list is 'problably' a lot smaller than you think. I hate favorites lists, I don't like limiting what I see in the guide because I don't have a set list of channels I watch. I watch whatever catches my eye or looks interesting. Other people don't take the time to set them up because they have a handful of channels they watch and they know the numbers for those channels. I think favorites lists are more of a power user feature than a normal consumer feature.

I never said I bet it's one way or another, at this point it's all speculation. No big deal as it works good enough for me. If barely anyone is using favorites then I don't understand why it's still an option. In my case I rather not go through channels like E! which I can't stand. Anyway thanks for all the opinions,obviously I'm one of the few who cares about favorites on this site :) .

I can't imagine not having Favorites Lists. We watch a handful of channels. I have my List and SWMBO has hers. We watch NO sports or dramas, few movies or sitcoms, and see no reason to have to scroll thru everything when the vast majority of it is of no interest to us.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If they took my Favorites option away, I'd be upset. I've been using favorites since 1998..... I have several sets, regular watching, sports, movies.....

I absolutely use custom guides/favorites and I know many others who do the same. This way, I can filter out religious channels, country music, etc. Also, I don't buy the idea that dish knows what people use and they prioritize accordingly. Not just because of this last update, past history shows that Dish like many other companies often try certain things out and also follow trends even when these ideas are not fully vetted. I don't know anyone in my circles who was demanding the HDMI-CEC feature.

That is why there is different strokes for different folks. I use custom guides all the time. I have friends with Direct and they use custom guides. I got my grandmother set up with Dish. She had Time Warner. They don't have custom guides so she had no idea. I set it up for her and she loves it.

I wonder how many people that are new to Dish and Direct have no idea they are there. Especially coming from a crappy cable company. A lot pf people like myself had no idea about this place and all the great info. I had no idea about all the features you get with the satellite companies. I think custom guides and brilliant.

Absolutely ridiculous to who ? Only to people who use the custom guide feature and I'll bet it ain't a very big number.
I disagree. Why would anybody smart enough to actually want the Hopper not want to set up a Custom Guide? I'm sure some fall into that category but not one single person I know that owns the Hopper or the Genie isn't using a Custom Guide. When I'm asked into a home the first thing I do is reverse the scroll on the guide and help them set up a Custom Guide. FYI, Tiger Direct has a 2TB WD Elements EHD for $89.99.

I still don't get why people like those lists so much. If you watch enough TV to use a list you problably know what you are wanting to watch or at least the range those channels are in. I usually start at 105, page up a few times, skip to the 200 -250 range then jump to 300 and skip around the guide looking for something good to watch. I guess the same thing is done by removing the in between channels from the guide list so I don't have to see them but what if there is a program on that day that I wasn't aware of that perks my interest? I problably would miss that show or movie if I had a custom list set up that didn't include said channel.

I agree with lucky86. I scan the entire guide sometimes just looking for "something" to watch.
I really can't see any reason to scan all channels when I absolutely know I can't understand Spanish nor will I ever want to check in on one of the shopping channels, Nor will I ever watch BET or VH1 or, well you get the picture. Why have all of those channels clutter up your guide. If you would possibly want to watch or check on a channel not on your guide you can always flip over to the all channel guide. I really don't understand the reluctance to set up a Custom Guide. If you don't like sports why have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPNU or FOX Sports 1 and 2 MLB Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, NBA Network, not to mention the dozens of alternate sports channels in the standard guide for the FSN family. I have 115 channels in my Custom Guide so I'm not too concerned about perhaps missing something I might want to watch or record. I'm surprised that the vast majority, here especially, aren't huge supporters of utilizing a Custom channel setup.

I still don't get why people like those lists so much. If you watch enough TV to use a list you probably know what you are wanting to watch or at least the range those channels are in. I usually start at 105, page up a few times, skip to the 200 -250 range then jump to 300 and skip around the guide looking for something good to watch. I guess the same thing is done by removing the in between channels from the guide list so I don't have to see them but what if there is a program on that day that I wasn't aware of that perks my interest? I probably would miss that show or movie if I had a custom list set up that didn't include said channel.

Sounds like you - GASP! - are watching TV in Real Time! Say it ain't so!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)