wifi adapter with ultra

I previously have tried 2 different USB wifi adapters and could not get either one to work. You are welcome to try and see if your results are different.

I worked on getting one to work with my former Azbox Elite, once the ethernet port got smoked somehow. Since the Azbox Premium uses realtec drivers, I was looking for a usb stick with a realtec chipset. I tried several with no results. Later I found a post on a German forum telling how to set it up, first copying the drivers to the DOM drive on the Elite, and then setting up scripts to load the drivers.
Apparently it can be done, but it's not simple.
:)

I tried a Linksys device but it looks like the device isn't recognized. But, I can see how the WPA is setup once you have a device driver loaded.

I don't think the device will be recognized unless the drivers are preloaded, and waiting for the device to go active. That will take some work, I suspect.

Drivers aren't preloaded in Linux but the drivers are present in a modules directory. The kernel loads them only when the device is present.

I worked on getting one to work with my former Azbox Elite, once the ethernet port got smoked somehow. Since the Azbox Premium uses realtec drivers, I was looking for a usb stick with a realtec chipset. I tried several with no results. Later I found a post on a German forum telling how to set it up, first copying the drivers to the DOM drive on the Elite, and then setting up scripts to load the drivers.
Apparently it can be done, but it's not simple.

I don't know if it's possible (since I've never installed Linux on a Sigma machine) but if you could install a precompiled package or build the driver from a tarball on this Linux distribution you could get a driver installed. I just looked at what kernel drivers that are already installed in the Elite and there aren't many drivers and I didn't see any wireless drivers. I have firmware 5020 so that surprises me.

I have a Zonet ZEW2508 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter that didn't work.
I believe that the latest firmware that is in all the AZ Boxes will have features that will only worked in certain receivers. The Premium Plus has WIFI system built in so the firmware in it will work. The Ultra apparently doesn't has that built in feature so the firmware won't work.
I may be wrong. Maybe someone who has a Ultra has found a adapter that works and yet to tell us.
At this point I went to Walmart and bought a 50 foot Cat 5 cable and ran it between the Ultra and my Linksys broadband wireless router. I use Wildblue internet system to get internet.
After setting up the network system, I am getting 115 bps for speed and the browser takes a long while to down load, almost like dialup. The Youtube takes a while to download, so I paused it with my remote until the download bar reaches all the way across then I push on the play button to watch. It plays well that way. If I try to watch the videos while it is downloading, the video will cease while this circle thing circulates then plays a few seconds then does it again.
I guess I had to have a DSL setup to make the internet part work. I am disappointed with this. Maybe someone will tell me how to increase the speed of the internet...

its not coded into the firmware... your simply getting into advanced topics. definately not plug and play. these files will give you a start. sorry but they arent in english. when i find the orignal post ill post more info...

use at own risk. i havent tried them.

crackt out,.

Attachments

• wlanpluginazbox.zip
    492.5 KB · Views: 246
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, probably the only way to get a USB wireless adapter working on an Ultra would be to load the appropriate driver. If E2 ever becomes a reality for the Azbox, things like addinga wireless adapter will probably become easier. I've never done any benchmarks on the network ports but I would say that file transfer to the PC didn't see that fast. It would be pretty easy to run a utility during a file transfer to see the actual transfer speed. Somewhere I've read that the chipset used integrates the network port meaning that it uses CPU cycle. I am not a chipset guru so can't explain it any better.

its not coded into the firmware... your simply getting into advanced topics. definately not plug and play. these files will give you a start. sorry but they arent in english. when i find the orignal post ill post more info...

use at own risk. i havent tried them.

crackt out,.

Crackt, do I put these files into the USB flash drive and installed it into the Ultra?

c/p from another site....

Code:
[B]Wlanmonitor -Plugin for Azbox HD[/B]

[B]08.12.09[/B]

This plugin is for fans with Wi-Fi Azbox thinking elite, who want only occasionally connect to the network. 

1. You can download from a list of the best wireless drivers, perform various tests and connect to the wireless network, all with the remote PC is needed only for one-time configuration. 

2. Two new drivers for rt73 sticks with zd1211-to-chip and chip available, both with WEP/WPA/WPA2. 

3. Scan function to see not only access points, but also other wireless clients, because the drivers control the monitor mode. 

One can also do everything via a telnet connection from a PC, but herewith it is more convenient, quick time to play around in a commercial break something. 
At least one of the internal driver (RT2870) for Azbox premium can be placed in the monitor mode. Whether the scan but it works, I can not test. 

The installation of the plugin requires approximately 80k, wlanmoni.zip (holger.heit, 24.5 kB - 0 downloads) 

to the driver rt73_m (370k) and zd1211 (390k), driver.zip (holger.heit, 305.3 kB - 0 downloads) 

is a compatible with the zd1211 wpa_supplicant with EAP support at about 350k, 
to scan the program about airmon 50k (a defused airodump). progs.zip (holger.heit, 153.7 kB - 0 downloads) 

Who's right stick and wants to try everything, even time takes about 1 MB on a box, and can therefore be set in the configuration file, a path to drivers and additional programs. In my case a USB memory stick is connected to wlan with a directory from the path / DATA/usb1/sda1/wlan is. 

Install the plugin as usual USB or / tmp. 
Then an ftp connection between PC and azbox in the configuration file / PLUGINS / WLANmonitor / wlanmoni.cfg adjust the path and copy unzipped drivers and programs on this path. Now check whether the programs wpa_supplicant airmon and after unpacking and copying are still feasible, and finally 
- Adjust for WFP in the configuration file entry KEY, the hidden SSID SSID in addition to the entry, 
- Customize with rt73 and WPA/WPA2 PSK entry in the configuration file, 
- For the zd1211 and WPA/WPA2 files userscript0.sh (path to wpa_supplicant) and adjust wpa1.conf (ssid and psk). 
Windows users can do very well with winscp, as well as an appropriate editor is included. 

Within the plug-in, one moves up down with the arrow keys / or the red / blue function key to move between tabs, selection of options with the arrow keys left / right, do something with OK button and exit with EXIT button. A short manual wlanmoni.rtf is contained in wlanmoni.zip. 

To test a level_one WNC_0301 V3 (rt73 chip was from ralink) and a fiber line WL410U (zd1211 chip used by ZyDAS). 
There are many Wi-sticks with the ZyDAS chips, which have excellent reception characteristics, much better than ralink. 

The program is not guaranteed accurate, but perhaps useful for others.

Unfortuneatly, drivers that were build on another platform or linux kernel or even with certain compilers probably won't work on the Azbox unless they were specifically built for a particular Azbox firmware. It's interesting that advertisements tout the wireless capability of the Azbox but the wireless doesn't work unless you can find one that is reported as working in a hardware compatibility list (HCL). I can get one of the Linksys devices but, as usual, I'll have to order it. And then there's no guarantee that it will work. You won't believe all the hardware junk I got laying around here that doesn't work with a particular platform (including Windows). "Sorry", I'm a pessimist.

i feel your pain johnny. when i was in uni taking my first couple years of engineering i couldnt understand why specs were ever adopted by the ieee when manufacturers didnt seem to adher to them. then to bend the consumer over further add a dash of anti competitive closed source microsoft and a hint of chicken with the head cut off open source community. it be nicer to see smaller companies concentrating om making something work rather than the consumer market beta tester.

there were reports of people having success with certain adapters but i cant find the posts anymore. that silly search button on the forum works best without millions of similar posts. haha.

at present im working on the physical dish farm, trying to beat the impending snowfalls. if i find time i may look into this further but i use a wireless connection so it is not priority for me. we may see e2 for the azbox first. haha.

crackt out,.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)