wifi adapter with ultra

My understanding is that the mnce2001 isn't a USB adapter wireless adapter, rather its a wireless ethernet adapter which can use the USB power but connects using the ethernet port and as such requires no drivers. I'm not saying its not a good solution but it isn't the typical USB wireless adapter that most people think of.

My understanding is that the mnce2001 isn't a USB adapter wireless adapter, rather its a wireless ethernet adapter which can use the USB power but connects using the ethernet port and as such requires no drivers. I'm not saying its not a good solution but it isn't the typical USB wireless adapter that most people think of.
Sounds like it's the best solution. I might just spend the money for one but I wanted to know if more than 1 person got it to work with both the Elite and the Ultra.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but for those of you interested, we are about to introduce a wireless USB adaptor so that people with an Elite or Ultra may connect their receiver to their wireless network. These adaptors will work "out of the box" so no special software will be required in order to enable these. Please note that this is NOT a wireless bridge so it does not use the receiver's ethernet port in order to function.

Will let you guys know once it becomes available.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Did this project ever get off the ground?

I just bought a Netgear WNCE2001 from WalMart and it does work with both the Elite and the Ultra. It should make my wife happy to see more cables disappear.

But, while testing I found that I couldn't access YouTube and the web browser didn't work. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the Netgear adapter.

Did this project ever get off the ground?

Yes, we will be releasing our WaveFocus wireless USB adaptor within the next few weeks. Sorry for the delay but we want to make sure there are no issues with the device before releasing it.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

I just bought a Netgear WNCE2001 from WalMart and it does work with both the Elite and the Ultra. It should make my wife happy to see more cables disappear.

But, while testing I found that I couldn't access YouTube and the web browser didn't work. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the Netgear adapter.

That's interesting.

Yes, the Netgear WNCE2001 is essentially a wireless ethernet bridge and allows you to enable any device that only has an ethernet port to connect to your exisiting wireless network. However, I do believe it creates a second NAT network so you might experience connectivity issues due to "double natting" depending on how your network is configured.

Our WaveFocus USB wireless adapter on the other hand will work as a true wireless adapter out of the box for the Elite and Ultra. You will be able to choose a wireless network using the AzBox GUI just like if you had an AzBox Premium or Premium HD Plus and directly connect to your wireless network as a client instead of going through a bridge.

Regards,

PwrSurge

How does the AZBox Me fit into all these. Azbox Me can't go wireless without an adapter, right?

Yes, the Netgear WNCE2001 is essentially a wireless ethernet bridge and allows you to enable any device that only has an ethernet port to connect to your exisiting wireless network. However, I do believe it creates a second NAT network so you might experience connectivity issues due to "double natting" depending on how your network is configured.

Our WaveFocus USB wireless adapter on the other hand will work as a true wireless adapter out of the box for the Elite and Ultra. You will be able to choose a wireless network using the AzBox GUI just like if you had an AzBox Premium or Premium HD Plus and directly connect to your wireless network as a client instead of going through a bridge.

Regards,

PwrSurge

It wasn't a problem with the adapter. Instead, a firmware upgrade fixed the problem. But, YouTube and the web browser is VERY slow even though the Azbox speed test shows an 8 Mb connection. My actual internet service (cable modem) is 30 Mb.

Yes, we will be releasing our WaveFocus wireless USB adaptor within the next few weeks. Sorry for the delay but we want to make sure there are no issues with the device before releasing it.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

As a follow-up to this, the WaveFocus wireless USB adaptor for AzBox is now available from authorised AzBox Canada dealers. The adaptor supports 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n standards with a maximum speed of 150Mbps when using wireless N. :) It features a detachable antenna so you may upgrade the included 2 dBi one with a SMA type antenna of higher gain if your wireless signal is weak. The unit plugs in to any USB port of the Ultra HD or Elite HD and will work "out of the box" with any version of the official firmware without having to install any special drivers or software.

WF_AzBox_WLAN_med.png

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)