Wifi Bridge/Extender

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
We are in a house that one end is our internet connection, wifi router, and computers. The other end is our living room with our PS3 and Ooma phones. I have a Cisco 4 port router/switch that I turned into a wireless bridge. We are at the end of the range where the PS3 (using its own wireless) and the Cisco device is that we have our Directv and Ooma plugged into.

What would a good but not too expensive wireless bridge/switch replacement be? I need a good one that will get my wireless signal even better on that part of the house. The main router is a Cisco/Linksys that is about 3 years old now.

Look into a Ubiquiti high powered WAP and consider turning off the WiFi on the router. You could then locate the WAP more centrally and provide better coverage.

That's next on my "home network" to do list.

Regards,

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I'm thinking of using the same solution here in my home office.

We just put another wifi box on the other side of the house connected with ethernet (lan to lan, wan not connected on second box) to the first one. Turn off DHCP (the master box handles that) and voila it all works with the same SSID and password. It is essentially what they do in large venues like airports and offices...

And it works like a champ. Easiest approach. Or have two overlapping wifi, two SSID/PW set up. That's the approach I take with an Apple Extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If I could run Cat5e cabling I would, but I would need over 100 feet of it and I would be encroaching on the limit for ethernet without a repeater.

If I could run Cat5e cabling I would, but I would need over 100 feet of it and I would be encroaching on the limit for ethernet without a repeater.

Doesn't cat6 have a longer distance rating than cat5?I know it wouldn't be that cheap but,your problem would be solved.If you only needed wifi for one device I would recommend this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JWMOOI/?tag=satell01-20

The range is excellent.

I always prefer the hard wire. Id check your numbers on that. I havent read up ion awhile. But, I thought the distance limit was higher. It could also depend on speed.

Also keep in mind that some of those limits are NOT set in stone. Its not like you would necessarily lose connection although its possible. More likely, you'd lose packets at higher data rates.

There's some cool new designs that will push distance limits. Personally, I'd wire up a cantenna. They can be made from pringles or coffee cans and set up very easily. If looks matter, you can use something a little more presentable. This is sometimes difficult if there's no antenna wire or connector on the box.

Here's a decent example of a cantenna. http://gbatemp.net/threads/super-cantenna.45078/

Even if you put a second wifi router 100 feet closer to the living room it would not help?

Wifi Master & computers--------100 feet cat 5--------wifi slave.............wireless PS3?

Cat 5 and Cat 6 have 100 meter limit. If you don't want to run an ethernet cable you could use a powerline bridge instead and then add an AP/Router w/DHCP disabled.

I ran Cat 5 and went the router as an AP method. Two SSID's for me as I had some issues when I used the same SSID for both ends of the house.

Check out Ubiquiti UniFi. http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

Whats is UniFi? It's awesome it's wireless AP and a software control. You can roam around your house and it will not matter what AP your on its all the same. Ubnt did it again breakthrough pricing. 2 AP system UNBT = $200 Cisco =$2,200 (Of course cisco has more features but you will never need them at home unless you a cisco person AKA CCIE etc....

I was thinking 100 meters when I wrote feet. Oops. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to go with power line Ethernet. There's a Linksys 4 port power line adapter on Amazon for $70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a while back that there were issues with powerline adapters. How reliable are they compared to wireless and CAT5e hardwired networks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)