Wil there ever be a FTA 3D STB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Sorry it might be a dumb question, I saw a demo on best buy and I was a nay sayer about 3D, but it looks a little better than just regular HD.

Yes. I have a sample unit from a R&D STB group. It also tries to display 3D from standard video... Definitely with occasional humorous results!

Now, where is the 3D FTA programming?

From what I've heard, 3D isn't taking off. I doubt that it ever will. I wouldn't pay for 3D. But, if they ever manage to get the holo-suite tech developed I'd be interested in that.

Until somebody gets 3D to the point where funny glasses aren't needed, it's just a gimmick ! :) I did buy the Etymonix decoder that works with 3D feeds and makes either side of the broadcast the single display. Watched a couple feeds that way.

Few months back, I was chatting with a lady on IRC who was in a theater waiting to see a live broadcast of a [//////] concert.
(don't 'cha love IRC over Android phones?) - :up

We found it on a feed satellite, and it wasn't encrypted.
Probably too many theaters had trouble getting their decoding working.
Or maybe the fact that it was a one-time deal, meant nobody was gonna see it.

Anyway, the HD picture was just two images side by side.
Kinda cut down the picture resolution, but it worked for the big screen.
Without a 3D-capable TV, it wasn't that interesting.

So, while there may not be FTA-targeted programming for a long time, I can see where there could be feeds show up.
Don't think anything special was needed for the receiver; just a special TV set.

edit: on second thought, we don't need to say who the musical group was.

I do not think that there will ever be enough 3D to justify a 3D FTA box!

I am not too excited about 3D overall!

Why should I take a second mortgage to buy 3D encoded bluray movies, a 3D

bluray player with dual Monster HDMI cables, a 3D TV and $200 a pair nerd

glasses to watch a 3D movie or two??? :nerd:

I remember watching "3D" on video tape and a CRT set along with the free

cardboard glasses!

It looked pretty darn good! :popcorn

Last edited:
When I want 3D I turn off the TV and go outside. Thats the best quality 3D there is.

At the risk of disagreeing with the comments above, we were at a party last weekend and the homeowner had an ~82" 3d tv and threw in a disc and about 7 of us put on lightweight glasses and watched. It was pretty cool. I'm not running out to buy one but since you always can watch TV in 2d, there isn't really a downside to having one other than expense to consumer, which hopefully will come down like most CE. As for FTA 3D, I can't imagine there being 3d programming anytime in the near future other than catching wildfeed or clear network broadcast.

Issue 1109 of TELE Satellite magazine has a review of a 3D receiver that sounds like the one described in the second post of this thread.

As long as the 3D programming is in frame compatible format (top/bottom or side by side), any FTA receiver (or OTA tuner in the case of broadcasted OTA 3D) will receive it perfectly. To display it properly, though, you will need a 3D TV, or you'll just see two side by side anamorphic images. There have been some SbS 3D feeds up there.

Frame-stacked full HD 3D, such as what Blu-Ray 3D uses, is a different animal. This type of 3D requires much higher bandwidth, and likely will never be used on uplinked or broadcasted programming.

I love 3D, by the way... :D

I can't remember what network it was, but the other week I ran across a 3D feed of a football game. There was no side by side video. What they did was broadcast it over two channels. I could tune one labled "left eye" and it had sound and looked like a HD broadcast. The next channel was labled "right eye" and had no sound and it too looked like HD. Very clear picture. Now my opinion on the 3D stuff is why would anyone spend that kind of money for a fad? Sure there are some movies out in 3D, but does anyone think that they will have all new programming and drop all the reruns? Kinda like HD is now. No matter how they broadcast it, unless it was recorded in HD, it is not HD pure and simple. They have been trying to bring 3D into the market place since the 1950's. If it there was any real demand for it, the 3D would of taken off a long time ago. 3D is simply a richmans toy that allows one to have bragging rights. Have a great day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)