WildBlue ViaSat1 the real scoop

Residential internet services are ALL shared and like Greg says it will slow down based on more users on using bandwidth at the same time. Our IPS models are very similar to everyone else (from what i was told anyway) Peak usage is around 4PM -10/11PM. about 20% of usage is Netflix (which i thought interesting). Cable, DSL (even though its claims are dedicated Subscriber Line), WISP, all share. So i have realized the Reality years ago..(Hi Greg:D).
My whole point on getting on this forum at all is to inform accurate information and show an opportunity for an installer or a business owner to capitalize on a opportunity that exists making up for the sluggish economy over the last few years. Personally, I think its more significant for the "Small Dealer/Installer" as it helps the local economy's. one thing that is at the fore front of our minds is capacity, Browsing experience, expectation year over year.
So say a year or so down the road we do get to capacity doesn't a dealer/installer/customer have to take advantage of an opportunity?

Between HNS and WB there are only 1M customers in a market of 10-15M at 1.5MGS. We think that market increases to double with new speeds.
If a person was to dig on the ViaSat site some you would probably find that VS2 is planned, Has an orbital slot and is currently out for RFP.

As deals go it has to be good for everyone or its not good for anyone right? Good for customer, Dealer/installer, and WB.

Say, does anyone have a crystal ball?:D:D:D

Chris Conant. I'm fixing to be hooked up under the recovery act with wild blue. When I signed up, it was 49.95, 1.5mb up with 15GB allowance . Now according to the updated fap policy on 12/1/11, the recovery act subs can now get 25gb allowances now? Is that correct? Is there also a 3mb tier as well? Thanks

Chris Conant. I'm fixing to be hooked up under the recovery act with wild blue. When I signed up, it was 49.95, 1.5mb up with 15GB allowance . Now according to the updated fap policy on 12/1/11, the recovery act subs can now get 25gb allowances now? Is that correct? Is there also a 3mb tier as well? Thanks

If you have existing high speed ISP service you not "supposed" to qualify for stimulus (its a government database we pull qualifications from). However the 3MG is 27G "Data Allowance" (Formerly called FAP)

:)

Denver Post Article 12-12-2011

I went to Wildblue.com this morning, didn't see anything about 12Mbps speeds talked about in this article.

Comparison of speeds and prices

During a brief test of WildBlue's satellite broadband, the service held up well against my Comcast residential connection. Two speed tests, performed on speedtest.net and speakeasy.net, returned speeds of 10 megabits per second and 16 Mbps, respectively. Sites such as espn.com and eBay appeared to load at about the same rate as they do on my home service. Here's a look at the cost of standard, stand-alone broadband in metro Denver:*

Comcast

20 Mbps service for $30 a month for first six months, increases to $45 for the next six months, and $60 thereafter; $7 a month to lease a modem, which can be purchased from an independent retailer; installation fee of $50.

CenturyLink

12 Mbps service for $30 a month for first six months, then increases to $50; $6 per month to lease modem or $100 one-time charge to purchase modem from CenturyLink; installation fee of up to $100.

WildBlue

12 Mbps service for $50 a month; installation/upgrade fee of up to $250; pricing on leased and purchased modems not available.

The full article - The Denver Post

Thanks Chris,

Can you shed any light on the US Recovery Act service? I tried calling WB, endless hold. This is a current test from my current terrestrial wireless ISP.

1644502987.png

I live off-the-grid and doubt my "street" address is in any database except the county tax assessor.

Attachments

• 1644502987.png
    1644502987.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 144
12 Mbps from WildBlue? I find that hard to believe that the average customer is going to see this once it launches to the masses. Even if we see it, as they add more and more people onto the satellites, it won't last long. I am sure there will be some improvements but not a consistant 12 Mbps. They cannot even give you a solid 1-2 Mbps now. Maybe with this new satellite launch they can finally give the 1-2 Mbps that they advertise? If they can pull off 12 Mbps then that will be great and I hope they can.

12 Mbps from WildBlue? I find that hard to believe that the average customer is going to see this once it launches to the masses. Even if we see it, as they add more and more people onto the satellites, it won't last long. I am sure there will be some improvements but not a consistant 12 Mbps. They cannot even give you a solid 1-2 Mbps now. Maybe with this new satellite launch they can finally give the 1-2 Mbps that they advertise? If they can pull off 12 Mbps then that will be great and I hope they can.

Everyone, the new sat is 140+GBS! Anik and WB1 are combined about 13GBS.... thats how-many times larger in just capacity? Remember, out gateway technology is half the battle.

So yes we can do 12 under VS1 Spot beams. and in upgraded beams will be 5MGS....

I will get permission to post a dealer of mine that can sell Nationally for those of you that want what we have to offer.

Sorry for getting back late to you all, Im in a National Sales Meeting and may be able to provide more info next week....

Did i miss anyone?:)

Sounds REALLY good. Hope it works out in practice.

Hmmmm- I have this trailer near Falling Waters, WV. If I could get a LoS (can't for Dish Network), $50 bucks might be worth it for a second connection, over a marginal 3G. Heck, then I might be able to use my Sling Adapter to watch my home DVR while at the RV. But the campground is only open for 7 months out of the year. Is service coming to this area? Could I suspend service at reduced cost for 5 months out of the year?

Does this new plan include/require an email address with WildBlue?

Sounds REALLY good. Hope it works out in practice.

Hmmmm- I have this trailer near Falling Waters, WV. If I could get a LoS (can't for Dish Network), $50 bucks might be worth it for a second connection, over a marginal 3G. Heck, then I might be able to use my Sling Adapter to watch my home DVR while at the RV. But the campground is only open for 7 months out of the year. Is service coming to this area? Could I suspend service at reduced cost for 5 months out of the year?

Does this new plan include/require an email address with WildBlue?

WV is covered 100% as is from about Missouri KS state line to the east coast.

We currently dont have a pause/snowbird program but fully intend to do so. Hopefully soon... No ETA..

Price and speed at 12 MB = Good. Cap and Latency = Bad. The latency would not affect most people though unless you have VoIP or do gaming. Many people do not use that much bandwidth so a little increase in the cap could go a long ways. With all this additional speed people will be more tempted at using up more bandwidth. I think this is how they will make a lot of their money by offering everyone the higher speeds, with a lot of people purchasing higher caps.

Now to figure out how much programming I could watch before hitting the cap.

Do you think you will be announcing the cap in concrete terms?

In any event, the campground does not reopen until April.

Last edited:
If they could offer around 100 GB for $80 per month and 250 GB for around $100-125 per month then I think that would solve most people's problems with bandwidth. Heck, even 50 GB would be a good start.

I think $50 is the most that will get WAF.

I don't recall the rule of thumb. How many GB for an hour of HD sent via Sling Adapter, do you think? Granted, subject matter will vary the figures quite a bit.

Hmmm. 115.1. Couldn't get LoS to 110/119. Might have to forget this, or hope something unfortunate happens to some trees.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how accurate the information is on this site I viewed but it does show some prices and volume rates for data. They did flip the blue and green areas as to the speeds but appear to get it correct on the other pages. The plans show 7.5GB/$50, 15GB/$80, 25GB/$130 with what would appear to be 1GB/$8 for over your limit (my assumption). Didn't see any $ on the monthly lease fee for the equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)