Will Be Posting Ku FTA Layout For Review Soon

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi digiblur -

In checking that Sadoun receiver specs, the Fortec Star LifetimeClassic in the M-1 system I believe you were suggesting, I've come up with a couple things I need to verify. I think I'm being over cautious and it should be obvious to me!? But:

I assume this receiver puts out NTSC as a primary video format, with perhaps conversion from SECAM and/or PAL as options?

And, I see it has the fancy video out, the S video?, but I assume it also has regular old fashioned video out? They do say RCA I believe but I always like to see a picture of the plug or jack because there ARE different RCA plugs and sometimes that term means different things to different people.

Yes, I know I'm being picky - but it pays to ask first! And I do appreciate the helping hand. It's slightly confusing when, like me, a person has never even seen one of these receivers in the flesh. ;-)

It does also put out on UHF, which is a nice feature.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Tron -

Thanks for confirming that about the Fortec. We probably are about a week away from ordering that system.

First I have to stop at our local zoning office and get the required form to get the permit to erect this. Even under 1 meter in Syracuse they require a form and a fee. And we don't dare not comply, because with Harry and Kate's neighbors - well, we don't want to give them any ammunition. And they will indeed notice, because even at 80 cm I think that will be bigger than they have for Direct TV. But we be sneaky with it further back from the street than their commercial dishes - so it will SEEM smaller than 80cm!

I see some discussion that when using a peaking meter not to be misled by the stronger signals from the subscription satellites. It look's like at about satellite position ~90 degrees that that would be about half way between two of the Direct TV satellites. So, I think I'll be picking a satellite around 90 to calibrate on. Although, even though we won't be actually USING them, we could calibrate on a strong (Direct TV) pilot signal, just as a starting point.

Dave

^let me just put in a great word for Sadoun....they will not let you down....extremely helpful people in every meaning of the word

Thanks, Sassan -

I like their package. Now I'm trying to figure out an easily adjustable roof mount. Adjustable in the sense that true perpendicular to the Earth's center can be set by either orthoganal set screws or a triangle arrangement of set screws, at both top and bottom of the roof mount - and so adjusting the vertical pipe mast. I'm particular in this because the location we'll be using is tight to work in and adjustments will, in general, be a little frustrating. So - to make it as easy as possible ;-)

Dave

Sassan said:
^let me just put in a great word for Sadoun....they will not let you down....extremely helpful people in every meaning of the word

Thank you Sassan. We appreciate your positive comments. :)

Sadoun & Sassan -

Thanks for your help.

Sadoun -

My inlaws and I ordered the package deal today. It's the "Sharak" order from Syracuse. So, even though I'm not in the market right now for myself, I am supporting your sponsorship indirectly through their purchase.

Looking forward to reading all the instructions and other reading material coming with the package! The boxes will sit in their living room till spring and good roof dwelling weather ;-)

regards,

Dave

You'll love it. We all know it will kill you just sitting there and you'll be trying to place with the new toys soon enough. Just remember...most of us suggest tackling the install without the motor first.

Dave

Thank you for your business we appreciate it. I hope you have a good time reading the manuals (;) If we can help "translate :D " anything, let us know.

If we can help, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Hi digiblur and others -

My inclination is to do just as you say, "...tackling the install without the motor first." And I suppose I should wait till I look at the gear and manuals ;-) but that concept confuses me a bit from just looking at the pictures at the Sadoun order page.

It looks as though the dish mounts to the motor and that mounts to the mounting pole/roof mount. So, if I do it without the motor, do I just temporarily jury-rig the dish to the mount? That would seem to double the work of alignment 'cause I'd have to do it all over again when the motor gets put in?

Or does "without" just mean without the motor activated over the coax, but still serving as part of the overall structure supporting the dish? If the motor positioned at a "neutral" position, is that the nominal south 180 azimuth position, and I would align the dish statically at the 76 degree W longitude satellite (or one that's actually close to that). [the site location is Syracuse, at 76W]

Am I reading too much into this?

Dave

Dave, we recommend installing first without the motor so that you can get accustomed to aligning the dish and finding satellites. In this way, you eliminate a source of potential fustration (the motor) and you are just pointing the dish by itself on the pole. You'll discover where each satellite is in the sky, and you'll see how touchy elevation and azimuth adjustments can be on the satellites before adding the motor.

It's a sort of "practice" so that, once you're comfortable with where everything is, you can install the motor with greater confidence. It is also a good idea to run a straight cable (without any DiSEqC switch) from the LNB to the receiver when you're "practicing" alignment.

Frustration.... tell me about it, tomorrow I expect my Satfinder analog meter to arrive and will try to aim AGAIN for a Sat on a motor setup, the stationary dish idea sounds pretty good to me at this point, we've been pretty fortunate this winter with mild winter, being that I chose my accesible by bedroom window rear porch pitched roof because of LOS, I still have to be very carefull , one good snowfall and I might be waiting weeks to get out there again, at this point I'd be happy to be pointed to one Bird for awhile, it's better than none.

Best of Luck and much success David.

Reading this forum is the best tool you can have.

Hi Tron -

It's just not clear to me how to mount the dish without the motor - but I assume I'll catch on to that once I see the stuff.

Great tip about not initially using the DiSEqC switch.

I appreciate the personal level of teaching on this forum.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi jayelem -

Yes, reading this forum inspires me to catch up to technology ;-)

Regards,

Dave

Hi David,

Make sure you are using the magnetic deviation factor when calculating angles.
Also see the " I got FTA...." sticky message as you open this forum from Iceberg, where you will find what is available for FTA with 30" dishes.
If you have a positioner, you only need one LNB for linear signals and one for circular (there isn't much you can pick up on circular, except for a lot of music channels, soccer and Nasa). There is also an Invacom all in one LNB that will eliminate a lot of unnecesary work and has 4 connections for 4 receivers. I wish I had one of those.
From personal experience I would suggest a 33" and up dish with the single lnb. Fortec dishes are good and have good rust protection. I bought a Digiwave 33" and it had rust on it the second day.
Certain positioners will work fine with dishes up to 1.2 m. in diameter. The installation of the positioner is easy: no extra cables required and there's plenty of help available here for the correct elevation and declination.
The mounting pole has to be dead vertical or you will waste a lot of time trying to lock on the different satellites and never get it right.
Finally, if you source out all the components from a single dealer you will save a lot in shipping. Personally I think that you could get a good system for:
Receiver $ 150 - $250
Dish $ 70
Positioner $ 80
LNB $ 80
Cable ???

Good Luck and keep us posted

Last edited:
Hi playyymaster -

We are going with a 31" dish and a single LNB.

I'm very comfortable with magnetic north versus true north as far as the azimuth goes.

After we get the hang of this we will upgrade to motor (included in initial package) and possibly add an LNB for the circular polarization.

My concern right now is in being able not only to hit true vertical in mounting, but also to have an adjustment for same built-in to the roof mount. If such is not available, then I will just have to design one, with set screws, etc for fine tuning the orthoganal/perpendicular/normal/vertical aspect - whatever it's called in satellite circles (pun intended!).

Thanks all. Stuff should arrive in a few days. Lotsa' reading will follow.

Regards,

Dave

DavidBodner said:
Hi playyymaster -

We are going with a 31" dish and a single LNB.

I'm very comfortable with magnetic north versus true north as far as the azimuth goes.

After we get the hang of this we will upgrade to motor (included in initial package) and possibly add an LNB for the circular polarization.

My concern right now is in being able not only to hit true vertical in mounting, but also to have an adjustment for same built-in to the roof mount. If such is not available, then I will just have to design one, with set screws, etc for fine tuning the orthoganal/perpendicular/normal/vertical aspect - whatever it's called in satellite circles (pun intended!).

Thanks all. Stuff should arrive in a few days. Lotsa' reading will follow.

Regards,

Dave

Should have jumped on the cheap upgrade to a 36 inch dish. Well worth it...

I use NPRM's (non-penetrating roof mounts) in my dish farm which is located on the flat roof of my shed. To get the poles on the NPRM's perfectly level, I often have to use washers between the pole and the braces to "push" the pole slightly one way or the other. They work well for getting the pole plumb...

Hi Dave,

You might consider the HH-90 Stab Motor, as it is one of the few that has "True" compatibility, with the USALS Software, which will give you correct positions on the Birds. You are a Tech, so I would mount the Motor with the Dish first, then you can play without the motor in the loop... And it will make it much easier for the future...

Hi Tron and Doc and digiblur -

It sounds like all the practical problems that concern me circulate widely.

And yes, my ideas have to do with washers for alignment or setscrews, 3 pushing on the bottom of the mast kind of thing. Is there any really sophisticated roof mount/pole with this subtlety built-in already? Or are we all inventing the thing each time?

My greatest joy in this will not be watching the results, but in getting my father-in-law interested in life again. He's near 90 and has just lost his auto insurance (his eyesight and judgement have contributed to several accidents, no real injuries, but his insurance company is looking at the bottom line!) and we finally convinced him to let us do the driving. He's real macho and has been driving an incredible 75 years. But he used to be into shortwave radio, and this FTA stuff looks like the modern equivalent kind of hobby. I like feeling that, with you guys' help, we can give him a life back.

We'll be opening the box from Sadoun in a few days. Hoe they get it all in one big box is fascinating. I'm sure I will have several questions after we open and look and read.

Dave

Find a Satellite Dealer near you, and buy a Non Pen Roof Mount, so that you can have some stability, and because you have a lot of snow in your area, get a "Dish Heater" so that no snow will block the signal...

We just installed a CoolSat500 with a Motorized System for an Electronics Engineer, who is in the "Hospice" program BTW, and he has come back to life, if for just a little while...

As a Tech, I'm sure that you will be able to get this dish set up correctly, but if you have any possibility to put it on the Non Pen Mount, do it... It keeps you from putting holes in the roof, which will eventually cause problems... LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.