Will DirecTV really ever be the leader

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow harsh. You really "zing" DirecTV. They are what...6 months later then planned 3 years ago. Wow, burn them at the stake.

We've all known the situation for a very long time. There has been very little national HD additions due to no bandwidth. DirecTV had a plan to change that and it has take about 3 years to complete.

If you were a DirecTV sub back in 2004 and didn't want to wait, cable or Dish Network would take you in their waiting arms.
For me, it's not that I was willing to wait, it was more that 1) Cable sucks here 2) Voom holds nothing for me 3) Sunday Ticket is my life. So I've been a happy sub the past 3 years and now all the new HD will just be a bonus.

Not sure why you and others are so bitter about "waiting so long". Ummmm, you knew the plan so deal with it.

What a perfect post Bonscott !!!
Thank you, You hit every issue exactly the way I would look at it. thanks , now I don't have to post it.

Your numbers 1, 2 & 3 pretty much is my thinking since day one !

Jimbo

Last edited:
What a perfect post Bonscott !!!
Thank you, You hit every issue exactly the way I would look at it. thatnk , now I don't have to post it.

Your numbers 1, 2 & 3 pretty much is my thinking since day one !

Jimbo

The thinking of millions I believe. We didn't get D* for their '100 channels', we haven't stayed with D* for their '100 channels'. we like what we have, and we like what is coming. If its Sept or Dec or Feb, it doesn't matter much. They put their money where their mouths were.

LAUNCH is 1 DAY AWAY!!!!

Like most huge plans to build infrastructure, parts of it have run a lilttle late - and 6 months is really not to shabby.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The current official story from DIRECTV is that the grand plan will not be completed for another year, yet you continue to call it "only six months late". DIRECTV 10 looks to be six months late, but DIRECTV 11 is currently thought to be about a year late.

If you're talking about the virtual moratorium on new HD programming, the successful launch and testing of D10 should break the dam. I'm pretty sure that DIRECTV won't rest until the whole plan is completed.

I'm personally much more optimistic about D10's chances of success than I am about the promises of HD channel availability that is the current battle cry.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The current official story from DIRECTV is that the grand plan will not be completed for another year, yet you continue to call it "only six months late". DIRECTV 10 looks to be six months late, but DIRECTV 11 is currently thought to be about a year late.

If you're talking about the virtual moratorium on new HD programming, the successful launch and testing of D10 should break the dam. I'm pretty sure that DIRECTV won't rest until the whole plan is completed.

I'm personally much more optimistic about D10's chances of success than I am about the promises of HD channel availability that is the current battle cry.

So where did you get this information from, Harshness? Here is exactly what D* said on 9/8/2004:DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release
They expected to launch D10 and 11 in early 2007, which could be any time from Jan 1st to April 1st. That makes D10 three to six months late and D11 nine to twelve months late. In the real world, where you apparently have never been, this is pretty good for a nearly three year plan, especially considering how much of this is out of D*'s control. Why don't you just sit back and read instead of trolling?

Anyone that has listened to the continuing DirecTV conference calls would know that there would not be additional HD channels on D* during this time frame - and that is a non-issue for most of us (as you can clearly read I would guess) - seems to bother you, but not most of us.

Having fun as a one-man crusade? I read back your posts in this thread, seems its you versus the others in opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours. Enjoy!

Little over 24 hours to LAUNCH!!!!!!

Oh - and by the way - here is the 'Cautionary Statement' in its entirety from the September 8, 2004 DirecTV press release regarding their HD expansion plans:
DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release

CAUTIONARY STATEMENT CONCERNING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS

NOTE: This release may contain statements that we believe are, or may be considered to be, "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of various provisions of the Securities Act of 1933 and of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These forward-looking statements generally can be identified by use of the statements that include phrases such as we "expect," "plan," or other similar words or phrases. Similarly, statements that describe our objectives, plans or goals, such as the discussion in the release of our expected expansion of HD programming and new advanced and interactive programming services, also are forward-looking statements. All of these forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the expected results expressed or implied by the relevant forward-looking statement. Risk factors that could cause our actual results and future actions to differ materially from forward-looking statements made herein include, among others: the ability of our satellite manufacturers to complete the satellites that we intend to utilize to achieve the expansion of the HD programming and other services; the success and timeliness of those satellite launches; the in-orbit performance of those satellites; consumer demand for HD programming and market acceptance of that programming; regulatory and technological impediments that could adversely affect our ability to deliver HD services or other services; the ability of our competitors to expand availability of HD programming or offer HD programming or other services that we do not offer or that are superior to our services; the ability of our programmers to deliver programs broadcast in HD or to deliver other services; and the ability of the manufacturers of the equipment necessary to receive HD programming and other services to satisfy market demands.

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

So what's the problem? Seems to me that DirecTV accurately portrayed the plans, and contracted for the birds, and is pushing the entire industry to move towards more HD. I think they have acted extraordinarily well actually.

Oh - and by the way - here is the 'Cautionary Statement' in its entirety from the September 8, 2004 DirecTV press release regarding their HD expansion plans:
DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release

CAUTIONARY STATEMENT CONCERNING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS

NOTE: This release may contain statements that we believe are, or may be considered to be, "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of various provisions of the Securities Act of 1933 and of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These forward-looking statements generally can be identified by use of the statements that include phrases such as we "expect," "plan," or other similar words or phrases. Similarly, statements that describe our objectives, plans or goals, such as the discussion in the release of our expected expansion of HD programming and new advanced and interactive programming services, also are forward-looking statements. All of these forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the expected results expressed or implied by the relevant forward-looking statement. Risk factors that could cause our actual results and future actions to differ materially from forward-looking statements made herein include, among others: the ability of our satellite manufacturers to complete the satellites that we intend to utilize to achieve the expansion of the HD programming and other services; the success and timeliness of those satellite launches; the in-orbit performance of those satellites; consumer demand for HD programming and market acceptance of that programming; regulatory and technological impediments that could adversely affect our ability to deliver HD services or other services; the ability of our competitors to expand availability of HD programming or offer HD programming or other services that we do not offer or that are superior to our services; the ability of our programmers to deliver programs broadcast in HD or to deliver other services; and the ability of the manufacturers of the equipment necessary to receive HD programming and other services to satisfy market demands.

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

So what's the problem? Seems to me that DirecTV accurately portrayed the plans, and contracted for the birds, and is pushing the entire industry to move towards more HD. I think they have acted extraordinarily well actually.

Thanks for posting this, Scobuck. It is in the link I posted, but I am sure that Harshness will not read most if any of the link!

Yeah yeah yeah!!! BUT the real Question is what is the PQ going be like and are they callong up rezed 480 like tntHD does HD and are they going to show it all in true HD ??? OR Down Rezzed crap like they do now???

Yeah yeah yeah!!! BUT the real Question is what is the PQ going be like and are they callong up rezed 480 like tntHD does HD and are they going to show it all in true HD ??? OR Down Rezzed crap like they do now???

Why do you care Dish boy? So, looks like you are 0 for 2. What a great week!! New D* sat launch (fingers crossed) and I can head out to one of 1750 Blockbusters to rent my Blu-Rays on Tuesday!!

You can probably count on more HD-lite or upconverted SD for most of the new (non-sports) HD channels at first. Later (2008 or 2009), you may see some real HD starting to be shown on both sat companies as the providers set requirements for broadcasts (i.e. HBO).

You can probably count on more HD-lite or upconverted SD for most of the new (non-sports) HD channels at first. Later (2008 or 2009), you may see some real HD starting to be shown on both sat companies as the providers set requirements for broadcasts (i.e. HBO).

Ah, spoken like a true E* customer in a D* forum:rolleyes:

If their HD looks like their MPEG4 locals.... then the future looks REALLY exciting, as the MPEG4 locals lookk as good as Over The Air.

If their HD looks like their MPEG4 locals.... then the future looks REALLY exciting, as the MPEG4 locals lookk as good as Over The Air.
I hope that you are right Scott. However, you and others have stated that many of the new HD channels will be using their current SD signal upconverted to HD until their new HD hardware is online. That doesn't translate into good picture quality until much later. I am ready to jump on the HD bandwagon. I will be watching closely for reports on the pq of D*'s new hd channels. If it is a good as you think it might be, then I would have no problem going with D*. I currently have no commitment with E* other than a significant investment in equipment which can easily be sold on ebay or on Satguys.us. It was a toss-up in 1997 when I picked E* instead of D*.

I hope that you are right Scott. However, you and others have stated that many of the new HD channels will be using their current SD signal upconverted to HD until their new HD hardware is online. That doesn't translate into good picture quality until much later. I am ready to jump on the HD bandwagon. I will be watching closely for reports on the pq of D*'s new hd channels. If it is a good as you think it might be, then I would have no problem going with D*. I currently have no commitment with E* other than a significant investment in equipment which can easily be sold on ebay or on Satguys.us. It was a toss-up in 1997 when I picked E* instead of D*.

So if I read you correctly - DirecTV will be pushing down a great signal. Of course it would be up to the provider for the quality of the content. I'm excited that the report on the MPEG4 stuff is so good. Let's hope for a good night tonight then.

Some of the announced channels (Such as The Weather Channel) will no be in real HD until next spring.

DirecTV plans to upconvert those channels to HD as a placeholder for those channels. Yes those will not look good.

However the TRUE HD channels such as the HBO's SHOULD and I repeat SHOULD look good.

While we are expecting the best, there is always some bean counter somewhere who could put a monky wrench in things. :) (I dont expect that to happen here... DirecTV is staking its future on its HD offers, I don't expect them to screw it up) :)

I don't think that D* will be upconverting thw Weather Channel... from what I've read, it appears that TWC will upconvert their feed at the source and send it out as HD. It's not that they don't have the delivery system, it's that they don't have the new HD studio facilities ready yet.

Well also too, the channel might not be HD 24/7 but some programming on these channels (i.e. Weather Channel) may still have real HD programs like A&E.

So what's the problem? Seems to me that DirecTV accurately portrayed the plans, and contracted for the birds, and is pushing the entire industry to move towards more HD.
I don't have any problem with what DIRECTV said almost three years ago. I have a problem with posters such as yourself that insist that the plan is coming together on schedule as set forth in the announcement. Your statements aren't covered by DIRECTV's safe harbor claims; especially when the planned dates have already passed.

I don't have any problem with what DIRECTV said almost three years ago. I have a problem with posters such as yourself that insist that the plan is coming together on schedule as set forth in the announcement. Your statements aren't covered by DIRECTV's safe harbor claims; especially when the planned dates have already passed.

You are indeed a solo crusader with a worn out message.

It's also amazing how you can't read - and how much you spin other people's words. I have stated that they are about 6 months BEHIND schedule - but that I feel that is TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE considering the nature and scope of the undertaking. Additionally I have posted that any of those delays seem to be due to organizations OTHER than DirecTV. So, even if I had an issue, I wouldn't be beating the 'D* is evil' drum as you do. In my book they have done a FANTASTIC JOB of getting this all together.

LEARN TO READ PLEASE.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts