Will DirecTV really ever be the leader

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow its propoganda central in here. There is only one thing that will happen for sure, channel additions and a big fat rate increase. As far as quality goes D* feels their PQ is already THE BEST, so much so they call it a proprietary secret. :haha

Last edited:
I too am frustrated with Direct but they have made me several sweet deals over the years to keep me happy.There is more to life than the best in tv.

harsh is just pissed because he's going to have to find something else to nit pick and complain about.

Wow its propoganda central in here. There is only one thing that will happen for sure, channel additions and a big fat rate increase. As far as quality goes D* feels their PQ is already THE BEST, so much so they call it a proprietary secret. :haha

No increase until at least March of '08,
Moving to mpeg4 should improve PQ , look what it has done for those with locals in mpeg4 over mpeg2.

Jimbo

Boy, will I be happy when Vurbano gets his FIOS service installed and can direct all his anger towards that service and leave is in peace.

Vurbano use to argue with at least a little bit of coherence. I am afraid though that he has turned into an incoherent babbler. Vurbano, you have told us that you are gone, adios, not interested anymore....so what the heck are you doing chiming in like someone's senile grandma (no offense to anyone with a senile grandma) no one wants to hear it....go away. Thank you. Oh, and your going to lose on the HDDVD Blu-Ray front too!!:neener:neener:neener:neener:neener

I really hate when folks think we are corporate drones when we actually like our service. And we somehow have to apologize for it. I know the MPEG2 HD PQ is not where it should be but I have had great service from them for almost 10 years. Their DVR's are top notch. I really do hope the Vurb and others are happy with their service. They seem to care about whether we like ours.

No increase until at least March of '08,
Moving to mpeg4 should improve PQ , look what it has done for those with locals in mpeg4 over mpeg2.

Jimbo
My guess is d* will fill up that 150 HD capacity pretty quickly considering all of the RSN's etc, and dont forget the "other services" they often refer too. Then you will experience Mpeg4 artifacts. And given that is twice the amount of compression, Im sure the effect on the PQ will be more dramatic.

I have stated that they are about 6 months BEHIND schedule - but that I feel that is TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE considering the nature and scope of the undertaking..
By their own admission, they are about 12 months behind. Why do you continue to insist that they are about 6 months behind?

Do the math: projected D11 launch (early 2008) - planned (early 2007) -> 12 months

It really doesn't matter how far they are behind if things progress "nominally". It will always be important to seek and relate the truth about where DIRECTV is at in their plan and to understand that it may not always be what DIRECTV claims.

Vurbano use to argue with at least a little bit of coherence. I am afraid though that he has turned into an incoherent babbler. Vurbano, you have told us that you are gone, adios, not interested anymore....so what the heck are you doing chiming in like someone's senile grandma (no offense to anyone with a senile grandma) no one wants to hear it....go away. Thank you. Oh, and your going to lose on the HDDVD Blu-Ray front too!!:neener:neener:neener:neener:neener
still a current customer, :p

It really doesn't matter how far they are behind if things progress "nominally".

Maybe that's what doesn't matter to YOU. And you are in the MINORITY around here. I accept that - you are after all entitled to your OPINION.

What doesn't really matter to me - is YOUR opinion. I'm done with this back and forth with you - we simply don't agree - I can live with that believe me.

I am quite happy with my provider, I am happy with their progress in HD expansion, I find no fault with how they have gone about it, for if I did - I would have changed a long time ago - it's really THAT SIMPLE. They are doing a FANTASTIC job IMO.

HAGD.

I just don't understand the fault with liking the company you do business with - isn't that the way its supposed to be?

Is it any better or any different to be an anti-fanboy?
SO you also support a company that completely shuts off a channel you pay for in the HD paK so they can make even more money on sunday afternoons selling a special interest group Sunday ticket? And also reducing everyones PQ for it as well?:rolleyes:

I accept that - you are after all entitled to your OPINION.
This isn't about my opinion. This is about your denial of the facts.

I appreciate the fact that you're satisfied with what you're getting from DIRECTV. I don't appreciate that you continue to mislead people about the facts.

This isn't about my opinion. This is about your denial of the facts.

I appreciate the fact that you're satisfied with what you're getting from DIRECTV. I don't appreciate that you continue to mislead people about the facts.

Re-read some of your own hundreds of posts (5 months from launch to operation on D10?).

Enuf already, we just don't agree. Bye.

SO you also support a company that completely shuts off a channel you pay for in the HD paK so they can make even more money on sunday afternoons selling a special interest group Sunday ticket? And also reducing everyones PQ for it as well?:rolleyes:

I don't follow you - not sure of what channel it is that was removed from HD pack. If you are referring to the fact that when NFL games were first put on in HD from NFL ST - they didn't charge extra for them - but they were NEVER in the HD pack. Same thing with MLB - this year they charge extra for the SF part.

I do know that in about 30 years of having pay TV (cablevision for 25 or so), that over that time the channels included in packages did in fact change. I remember when I first got it that HBO was in the basic package. I believe that DISH also has over the years changed its packages (Didn't they just do this with COURT TV and LIFETIME?), I don't personally view that as anything unique to D* - but a common occurrence within the industry.

As for the PQ - I wish it was all full-rezz - but I do believe that the PQ from the MPEG4 offerings will be far better. Time will tell.

But I do support them overall, and no I don't think they (or any provider) is perfect.

ScoBuck, Vurbano is referring to last year there D* had to turn off TNT-HD or Universal-HD in order to get the bandwidth for the NLF-ST HD games. It was usually turned off in the morning and came back about 5PM. This ticked off a bunch of folks, especially when TNT had some NASCAR races on Sunday's. Folks were also upset that a channel that they had paid for was turned off so D* could make more money from the NLF-ST SF customers. I agree with those folks, D* really screwed up with that last year.

It should be interesting to see what they have to do this year since there's now even more requirements for bandwidth on Sunday afternoons. In addition to last year, CBS has said they will be doing more HD games on Sundays, D*'s said tha the SF RedZone channel will be in HD and they also need to cover the 6 channels used by Nascar RaceFan (which they didn't have last year). Yep, D10's due to go operational in mid September, NFL starts on 9/8 and D* has not said anything about needing Ku/Ka and MPEG4 STB's to receive any of these new or existing channels, so where are they going to get the bandwidth from???

ScoBuck, Vurbano is referring to last year there D* had to turn off TNT-HD or Universal-HD in order to get the bandwidth for the NLF-ST HD games. It was usually turned off in the morning and came back about 5PM. This ticked off a bunch of folks, especially when TNT had some NASCAR races on Sunday's. Folks were also upset that a channel that they had paid for was turned off so D* could make more money from the NLF-ST SF customers. I agree with those folks, D* really screwed up with that last year.

Ok - I understand now what he was referring to. And yes, I agree that having to put up with that would upset some folks. I make no excuses, they needed bandwidth (common knowledge). I do repeat my statement that ALL providers have needs to improve, that none of them are perfect.

I could easily list items for ALL the providers that get me P.O.'d. I don't think any of them do it completely right. Not a great answer, but I firmly believe it is the honest and most correct answer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)