Will Dish allow HD only subscription

skiddmark

Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
I signed up for DISH (I now have Directv). The installer told me that I couldn't get the standard def channels because of some trees. He also said that I wouldn't be able to get Directtv HD either. He did say that I had a good view of "the old VOOM" satelite. So I have three questions:

- Does this sound legit
- Will DISH let me subscribe just to the HiDef channels without paying for a full subscription
- Are there any plans for additional Satelites (Dish or Direct) with higher orbits?

Thanks!!!

The "old voom" sat. is at 61.5, approx. ESE. It carries the current HD "national" content available from E* and some of the HD locals. You can check what's on it here:

http://www.dishchannelchart.com/

It's quite possible that you might have a good LOS to 61.5 but nothing to 110 and 119 where most of the other "standard" content is for E*.

Call Dish technical support and plead your case. There are options for HD only, but I'm not sure what the restrictions/qualifiers are. I think the current price is $29.95 for just that package if you qualify.

By "higher orbits" I assume you mean at higher latitudes, but the answer is no. All satellites in geosynchronous orbit are located over the equator. The satellite needs to rotate with the earth, but also around it's full circumference, not just around a smaller orbit like you'd have at a latitude other than zero, if that were possible. Sounds like you need to cut some trees...!

Welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
where are you located? Reason I ask is everyone's elevation is different for those satellites. Unless you have qa freaking forest looking South to West you should be able to get Dish.

There also quite a few of HD channels on the 110 sat only inc. HD-Net, HD-Movies, Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD, TNT-HD and HD-Event. HBO-HD, Showtime-HD and PPV-HD is on the 110 sat and also is on the 148 sat in the west.

I found out the long way that the HD Stand Alone Pak is no longer on the table. Also, those of us with the new mpeg4 boxes who took a $16/mo increase back in Feb for HD Only get NO MORE NEW HD CHANNELS, while even the Bronze pak will continue to get more HD channels added.

Hammer

hammerdown said:
I found out the long way that the HD Stand Alone Pak is no longer on the table. Also, those of us with the new mpeg4 boxes who took a $16/mo increase back in Feb for HD Only get NO MORE NEW HD CHANNELS, while even the Bronze pak will continue to get more HD channels added.

Hammer

Hmm, well it's still on the website when I go to programming options under my account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)