Will Dishpro work with VIP Receivers?

GFT

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I have a Dishpro dual lnb dish for 110-119 with a single dish next to it for 129 and a DP 34 switch. Will the existing Dishpro equipment work with the VIP series HD receivers or will it have to be changed to one of the 1000.x antennas?

How about forward compatability. Will my 501 and 301 receivers work with a 1000.x dish? Or if I upgraded the dish would the old boxes have to go?

1000.4 Eastern Arc dishes only support MPEG-4 equipment, so the 501 and 301 would have to go.

1000.4 Western Arc supports MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 equipment, so the 501 and 301 can stay.

The arc you are installed with depends on what city (cities) your local channels come from.

GFT said:
How about forward compatability. Will my 501 and 301 receivers work with a 1000.x dish? Or if I upgraded the dish would the old boxes have to go?

Also those rcvrs are qpsk and would need to be replaced anyway down the road. Sooner probably rather than later.

Im in Minneapolis/St Paul, so I think our locals are on both arcs, correct? I think I actually have a better shot through the trees at eastern arc than the west, but I was hoping to hang on to the equipment I already own if I could. Maybe it really doesn't matter, the extra receivier fees are about the same as leasing anyway.

You should be receiving a letter in the near future offering to change the 501 to a 512 and the 301 to a 311 at no cost. My understanding is that the 512 will work on one port if needed so as not to have to reinstall everything.

You should be receiving a letter in the near future offering to change the 501 to a 512 and the 301 to a 311 at no cost. My understanding is that the 512 will work on one port if needed so as not to have to reinstall everything.

Well that makes things more interesting. Are they finally getting ready to pull the oldest mpeg2 stuff out of service? I also have a 510, are we to presume thats ready to be changed out also? And in the case of the 512 I see its a dual tuner unit. Does it incur the higher lease fee of a duo box or is it still considered a solo unit? Their website is confusing. It says its dual tuner for one room. So far all I have here is SD equipment but have been contemplating an upgrade to HD.

512 has the same equipment fee as a 510 ( $10 solo DVR), but is $3 more than the 501/508 ($7).

Slowly, but surely, we're trying to get everyone over to MPEG-4 equipment to free up some bandwidth.

If they're defective, they are already being replaced with a newer 8PSK receiver.

As far as a time frame goes (until complete discontinuation), I have no idea. Honestly, I would go with ckhalil18's idea on just upgrading everything right away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)