Will E* ever get the 622 right?

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I am now on my third 622. The first was plauged by the SBSOD, the second worked for 10 minutes and then committed suicide. The third has been much better but still has a weekly hard lock, or the MPG4 video gets jerky (cured by a reboot), etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it is probably the best receiver there is, but these glitches always seem to come at the worse time and you loose something you really wanted to see. Why do we have to be E*'s Beta testers?

Maybe I'm lucky, but aside from a couple of HDMI issues initially I haven't had any problems with the 622. It works flawlessly.

CDH.

MikeF said:
I am now on my third 622. The first was plauged by the SBSOD, the second worked for 10 minutes and then committed suicide. The third has been much better but still has a weekly hard lock, or the MPG4 video gets jerky (cured by a reboot), etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it is probably the best receiver there is, but these glitches always seem to come at the worse time and you loose something you really wanted to see. Why do we have to be E*'s Beta testers?

Obviously not the best solution for the problem but it's working here.. I've put my 622 on a timer and at 4am the receiver gets shut off and 5 mins later it gets turned back on... the weirdities that were happening have gone way down.

It's still a fine machine really.. just little niggly things.

Sam

Noticed JERKY video even on SD with bad audio sync. Almost 2 seconds.

Problem goes away if you power off and back on unit or I've noticed that if you review/pause the video for about 5 seconds and remain in a delayed state, the video and audio clear up until you go back to live mode where it gets JERKY and out of sync again.

My unit hasn't been active for 48 hours and is already starting to flake out.

!protest!protest!protest

Obviously not the best solution for the problem but it's working here.. I've put my 622 on a timer and at 4am the receiver gets shut off and 5 mins later it gets turned back on... the weirdities that were happening have gone way down.
A great idea. Maybe the best solution is E* just program in a way to reboot the unit at a specified time every night. That probably would cut way down of the nagging little problems.

pdxsam said:

It's still a fine machine really.. just little niggly things.

Sam
Yeah, I concur - a great idea! I'll keep that in my back pocket in case mine develops more of the inexplicable quirks that require a hard boot to "fix"...

For what it's worth..

Have had my 622 for about 5 weeks now (previously had 921 for over 2yrs- so I know what pain is ;) ) and have found out of couple of things about mine.
Number 1 is that mine doesn't like an enclosed space (heat) and the 2nd day I had it I moved it to "free air" after it crashed a couple times.
Number 2 is after 10 days it WILL crash and reboot (it did this twice and appears to be ongoing). A couple of days before this occurence it will start getting the "stuttering" problem and sometimes "lip sync" issues. I feel that they have a memory leak problem or other problem causing s/w deterioration over time. This problem also existed in the 921 (never had a 942) but was much worse.
I have now decided to do a front panel power button restart once a week and see how this works out. Since I have just started this routine two days ago I can't speak to it's long term benefits or not. If it still exibits the above problems prior to reboot then I will shorten the time back some.
I must say tho that this unit is a "sweet deal" normally.
Gerry

Will they get the 622 right?

Hell, I'm waiting for the 6000 to quit locking up the picture after errors in their transmissions - and the 622/211 is worse for that.

At least with the 6000 you can correct it by changing channels and going back. With these, it takes a reboot and check switch/check satellite/download guide upon reboot.

audio/video not in sync

I an having a huge problem with audio/video sync on my new 622 that was installed last week, 5/11/06. The audio is ahead of the video by a second or 2. I called E* last night and they told me the engineers are working on a fix. Does anyone know when this new software upgrade will come out? I currently have the L356 software. The issue is on most channels, but mainly the local Philly HD channels like ABC. Its almost unbearable to the point where I should receive some kind of credit. Anyone else going through this?

My HDMI output cut out twice last week (I never had any problems previously). It behaved itself over the weekend though, so we'll se if it was a loose connection problem or something else....

I had to shut everything down, pull and reinsert the HDMI cable, and then boot everything up again to clear the problem.

Have had the 622 since 2-1. Only issue is geometry on 4:3 aspect using HMDI.
Other than that it has been a special, hardworking, great machine. Any issues I've experienced have been operator error and I can't recommend any other satellite or electronics equipment as highly on functionality or reliability as this machine. Hope it stays this good.:D

Of note:

The 622 only has a 60 minute review buffer. :mad:

My 522 and 921 could go back 120 minutes.... :up

I'm disappointed cuz I am used to being able to go back and pick up where I left off. Wahh!!:river

I did notice the choppy video is gone ever since I put the 4" fan over the top of the Broadcom chip. (So far)

Klandis said:
I an having a huge problem with audio/video sync on my new 622 that was installed last week, 5/11/06. The audio is ahead of the video by a second or 2. I called E* last night and they told me the engineers are working on a fix. Does anyone know when this new software upgrade will come out? I currently have the L356 software. The issue is on most channels, but mainly the local Philly HD channels like ABC. Its almost unbearable to the point where I should receive some kind of credit. Anyone else going through this?
I have the same problem on WPVI (ABC)/HD LiL in Philly... I usually only DVR stuff from the HD locals, so I haven't been able to tell if it's something with the feed or recording/STB. This is the only channel I've had lip sync problems with.

Klandis,
Until they come up with a software fix for the audio/video sync problem, a temp solution is to hit the skip back button when watching a program with the sync problem.

Both my 622's have been working great. I had the audio dropout problem when that one software version was out a couple of months back, but its been rock solid since.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts