Will Modern DVB-S or S2 HD receivers downconvert?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Will Modern DVB-S or S2 HD receivers downconvert?

You may think it a strange question, but in my family setup, we are still using a Sony Wega flat screen TV, and my wife won't budge on a new LCD until this one dies.

I am going to need to purchase a new receiver that is diseqc 1.1 compatible to go with my new non-moving dish setup. I figured that if I have to buy a new receiver, I might as well plan for the future.

Currently I only know of one DVB-S2 HD receiver that is diseqc 1.1 compatible and that is the Diamond 9000HD, but I am not sure that it will down convert and won't fry my Wega TV.

Anyone have an answer? :)

I run from the S-video of my Coolsat 8000 to a SD TV just fine for HD channels , and also record shows to a PVR over the s-video connection. There's even simultaneous composite video out.
:)

Hi Linuxman.

I also have a older Wega 52" with only 3-HD inputs 1-hdmi & 2-ypbr, an also have a Diamond-9000 hook to it also on a ypbr input an have the S-video going into a Soney rdr-hx-900, an it does a good job on down converting the video when I go back an forth on its inputs. if you plan on going with the Diamond would not worry about that at all, it does a real good job on s-video an even better on hdmi. an also I have been playing with its pvr funtions this past week an so far the Diamond is doing a better job than a lot of other people have reported with high SR, recorded a 32,362 last night an did it flawless only had a studder at start up an that was it.
Hoope all helps Fred.

Coolsat down converts and does 1.1

Which Coolsat HD that does diseqc 1.1? :confused:

brentb36 wrote:
I run from the S-video of my Coolsat 8000 to a SD TV just fine for HD channels , and also record shows to a PVR over the s-video connection. There's even simultaneous composite video out.
Cool!!!

1captain wrote:
I also have a older Wega 52" with only 3-HD inputs 1-hdmi & 2-ypbr, an also have a Diamond-9000 hook to it also on a ypbr input an have the S-video going into a Soney rdr-hx-900, an it does a good job on down converting the video when I go back an forth on its inputs. if you plan on going with the Diamond would not worry about that at all, it does a real good job on s-video an even better on hdmi. an also I have been playing with its pvr funtions this past week an so far the Diamond is doing a better job than a lot of other people have reported with high SR, recorded a 32,362 last night an did it flawless only had a studder at start up an that was it.
Hoope all helps Fred.

All the information helps.

I too like my Diamond 9000HD that I currently have very well. It does everything I need including diseqc 1.1. The only 2 big drawbacks are no blind-scan, and no way to add dvb-s2 transponders with the remote.

The Diamond does have the advantage of accepting a Coolsat 5000 channel list and loading it with NDFEditor.

I don't think the Coolsat 8000 or 8100 has that capability.

Thanks!!!

The Diamond does have the advantage of accepting a Coolsat 5000 channel list and loading it with NDFEditor.

I don't think the Coolsat 8000 or 8100 has that capability.
The 8000/8100 are probably from a different factory. - :rolleyes:

I thought you were working on a translator to move those files to PCI DVB cards.
Would a CS 5000---->CS 8000 converter be desirable, too?

Wait a minute. What does Iceberg use?
You know he's got both 5k and 8k!

Wait a minute. What does Iceberg use?
You know he's got both 5k and 8k!

I dont use any channel editor but the remote. The 8000 is only used sparingly (mainly for HD feeds) and the 5000 I just rename the channels if need be :)

Linuxman -must- have diseqc 1.1 to talk to his antenna farm.
I don't expect to have quite that many dishes.
So I guess I'll go re-read the Coolsat HD review, and keep an ear to the ground.
There just might be a CS-8100 in my future.

What ever happened to a new HD receiver from Fortec?
And wasn't there a new HD receiver in the pipeline from one of our sponsors?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)