Will the PS3 accept IR universal remotes?

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
NE Georgia
I believe the answer to this is no...

Will the PS3 be able to be controlled with an IR universal remote, specifically for DVD playback? I feel like a goof using the Sixaxis controller to play DVD's, and the controller isn't completely intuitive to just pick up and know what to do.

Now, given the answer to this is no, will there be a Bluetooth enabled remote offerred in the future? I don't want to give up my Universal HTM-700 since I have not been able to find a device to defeat it until now (and only because I assume there is no IR capability on the PS3).

Or, will there be an IR adaptor in the future that can be plugged into one of the USB ports to allow use of IR remote controls?

Is there another option available now or in the future?

i guess i am taking granted that the xbox works great with the harmony line of remotes. that would really blow if the ps3 will not work with universal remotes.

It'd have to be a jury rigged 3rd party device I bet... making it Bluetooth, a technology that wont be standard for a long time if ever in a remote will make you buy what is probably a high margin 1st party accessory.

I did a quick search and saw a hack posted on avs. It's not a complete hack (it works only during DVD playback, you still need the controller to select the "play DVD" icons and then you can use the hacked setup), so I won't be doing it.

I can understand some of the actions that Sony has done to the PS3 (ie inclusion of blu-ray drive), but to add a high end feature such as Blu-ray movie playback without allowing the high end user to utilize their high end universal remote to control movies is ridiculus!

Their is already a standard for getting better results from remotes that use only IR, and it is RF. From what I have read on the Bluetooth remote, you can't use it for more than one PS3 or Bluetooth device because it has to be "married" to one console only. The Sony Bluetooth remote only goes around 35 feet, where RF is much further than that. What does Bluetooth offer over RF that RF can't do better!

I will not be buying the Sony remote for the PS3, but I will buy an IR adaptor if offerred. Until then, I will just look like an idiot controlling the movie with the PS3 controller...it's nothing new for me to look like an idiot anyway! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts