will vs or nat geo be next in bronze?

BengalsFan24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
they have started a trend with dish of giving one of the free channels to the bronze package. sometimes even unannounced. what do you thank the next channel will be in bronze and do you that have it thank it sucks? i know that style and espn u are no in it.

Well, since NatGeo is operated by News Corp, that one's out. And Vs is a Comcast channel, also not a Friend of Charlie, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that, either.

they have started a trend with dish of giving one of the free channels to the bronze package. sometimes even unannounced. what do you thank the next channel will be in bronze and do you that have it thank it sucks? i know that style and espn u are no in it.

The Bronze package does not suck. I watch only a little TV and for me it is the perfect marriage of proogramming and price. The new channels are welcomed and I am glad they are thinking of the budget subscribers sometimes and not just the ones who get everything

Wouldn't putting channels into Bronze be beneficial to the channels, more subscribers, more revenue?
Usually a higher dollar package means more revenue. Why give it away with Bronze if enough people will upgrade to Gold get it? DIRECTV doesn't carry Versus at all and they place NGC in their $61/month package so there doesn't seem to be a competitive motivation.

The Bronze package does not suck. I watch only a little TV and for me it is the perfect marriage of proogramming and price. The new channels are welcomed and I am glad they are thinking of the budget subscribers sometimes and not just the ones who get everything

I agree. I think it is a pretty good value for the dollar. Neither of us really make enough to be willing to put too much into television programming and, honestly, we don't watch that much either. When we upgraded to a DVR we began to realize that most of the stuff we were watching was on Bronze so it was sensible to us to save money there and on Monday Night, we'll record RAW or the football game and watch one of those the next night. We record so much from the Bronze that we often have little time to watch it all. We miss ESPN Classic and FX but the extra $25 month helps. (We also had to drop Multi-Sport and chose to drop Encore, etc - The only other add-on we have right now is KTLA).

I love having ESPNU in the Classic Bronze and even though I'm not a fan of Style or GAC (assuming it is now part of the package as there is no official announcement but it is still there), it is extra programming we are happy to have - in fact, she'll watch Style every now and then. In my area, the basic package is much higher through cable and in order to get either of the three channels I listed (or ESPNNews, Documentary, Sci-Fi), you'll need one of the add-on packages.

As for Versus or National Geographic, it would sure be nice to have either of those as I have really enjoyed both but I'm doubtful they will add either of those to the Classic Bronze and, in all honesty, we should probably just be happy with the three channels we got added. If we were to get anything else, I'd assume it would be something like SOAPNet, Oxygen, or WE. They can then have a little more leverage to "sell" the package to single-mother homes, etc. That is my two cents and nothing more, though. I'll just once again say that I'm pleasantly surprised to have ESPNU, Style and GAC in my basic package. :up

Yeah I'm a girl but I could live with SOAP Net just for 90210 replays. And I think you probably have a pretty good argument for why that could be it. But I agree with almost all of your post especially that cable where I'm at wouldn't provide some of the channels in the package either. And I was not that happy with my regional sports and wound up just dropping from plus to regular Bronze late in the baseball season and lived with ESPN, TBS, and FOX games. After some people here referred me to the distant networks I too found myself DVRing a lot of stuff and have been happy with the amount of sports offered except for the NHL. I am really wanting to pull the trigger on the Center Ice but I noticed NHL Network would be a free channel for a little while pretty soon and I know that once I lose VS I wont have any NHL unless I get the package until the Sunday games on NBC. I also agree that those of us that have Bronze should probably be happy with the three new channels we did get if Great America Country is permanent and I am guessing it is because there may not be many more but they really have made the package more attractive for those of us not wanting to spedn so much money. I REALLY WOULD BE HAPPY IF THEY KEPT GIVING EVERYONE VERSUS. :) Any new channel is good but it might only be Fine Living or Do It Yourself now. :(

there's a story saying that Dish is in negotiations with Comcast to make Versus available to those with ether the sliver package or the bronze package (most like being the sliver package). it's from multichannel.

here's the story:
Versus-DirecTV Remain At Distribution Impasse - 2009-11-07 14:48:46 | Multichannel News

it's from a few weeks ago, it was the latest on the DirecTV/Versus dispute, but they mentioned Dish Network as well.

... have been happy with the amount of sports offered except for the NHL. I am really wanting to pull the trigger on the Center Ice but I noticed NHL Network would be a free channel for a little while pretty soon and I know that once I lose VS I wont have any NHL unless I get the package until the Sunday games on NBC...
If you're a hockey fan, get the Center Ice package. Its the best $160 I spend every year. I believe it went up to a higher price on 11/1, but it is still worth it. As you mentioned, you get the NHL network with it, and I couldn't live without it and NHL on the Fly. As a hockey fan I'm always in heaven October through the Stanley Cup presentation. I pretty much watch hockey and only hockey during that time. Thank God my wife is a hockey fan as well, otherwise I'd really be screwed.

If we were to get anything else, I'd assume it would be something like SOAPNet, Oxygen, or WE.
These are clearly upper tier channels. They have considerably leverage in situations where WAF is highly valued. The same principles apply to some of the youth channels.

there's a story saying that Dish is in negotiations with Comcast to make Versus available to those with ether the sliver package or the bronze package (most like being the sliver package). it's from multichannel.

here's the story:
Versus-DirecTV Remain At Distribution Impasse - 2009-11-07 14:48:46 | Multichannel News

it's from a few weeks ago, it was the latest on the DirecTV/Versus dispute, but they mentioned Dish Network as well.

This is a good find. The article talks about how many viewers they have now even with the drop from DirecTV and it is obvious that VS is happy and the decline isn't that sharp. I say make it permanent. I'm sure the NHL, IndyCar Series and Pac10 will enjoy the viewership as well. Not a huge motorsports person but I got carried away watching the IndyCar qualifying. And they have had some pretty exciting games this football season. Has anyone watched any UFL stuff?

here's the story:

I really enjoyed some of the football this season as well as the Indy Racing League coverage. I also enjoyed looking in at some of the UFL games. I'd love for this to remain in Bronze.

If you're a hockey fan, get the Center Ice package. Its the best $160 I spend every year. I believe it went up to a higher price on 11/1, but it is still worth it. As you mentioned, you get the NHL network with it, and I couldn't live without it and NHL on the Fly. As a hockey fan I'm always in heaven October through the Stanley Cup presentation. I pretty much watch hockey and only hockey during that time. Thank God my wife is a hockey fan as well, otherwise I'd really be screwed.

It went to $171.80 on November 1 - four payments of $42.95. I can't believe I forgot to mention that we had kept this along with the Classic Bronze. The girl is a Canucks fan and I'm personally a Maple Leafs fan. I have also really enjoyed watching Tavares play with the Islanders this year as well. In fact, we have watched at least some of all of the Islanders games and have set the DVR for some of the entire games. We usually pay it in full on a different card than we make our usual payment with (thinking about doing the Bronze annually). Plus, as hockeyinsd mentions, you get the NHL Network yearly.

Only thing to be aware of, Claire, is that you will be blacked out from your "local" team. But since you are on the Bronze package (not Plus) anyways, I'll assume you don't miss your local team that much (as you mentioned you aren't getting your RSN). I personally couldn't care less about missing the Thrashers (which is my local team).

Only thing to be aware of, Claire, is that you will be blacked out from your "local" team. But since you are on the Bronze package (not Plus) anyways, I'll assume you don't miss your local team that much (as you mentioned you aren't getting your RSN). I personally couldn't care less about missing the Thrashers (which is my local team).

I added it last night. The free preview of the NHL Channel was too tempting. And I know they wont let us Bronze people keep the NFL or NHL channels after the free preview. I cant believe and I think it is awesome that they show the feeds from Rogers and CBC.

Since the main subject was about what we might get to keep next I'm just wondering if anyone else is still getting NatGeo? The free preview was supposed to end a few days ago and it is still coming through on Bronze for me. Have they had management changes or are they restructuring and adding / taking away certain channels from the packages? Or have they delayed taking it down due tothe long holiday weekend? I'm still afraid I'll lose GAC because the only official things I saw about a move were for ESPNU and Style - which is still good enough esp. ESPNU. :)

Gee I HOPE they add national geo to the bronze package since I am thinking of downgrading.

DIY is a wierd offering just in the family package and gold.

you would think DIY is pretty cheap to be in family. wonder why its only in gold?

I hope so too. I didn't even realize it until I checked this morning but National Geographic is still up. Lately, it seems worthwhile to downgrade to the Bronze package - depending on any viewing habits.

Question: Do any of you that have had ESPNU for a while (meaning you had it with AT250 - Gold) know if it shows much in the way of college baseball and softball during those respective seasons?

Claire: It is cool that they offer the Canadian (Rogers Sportsnet, CBC, and TSN) feeds during some of the hockey games. My understanding, though, is that if they are playing an American team (ex: Nashville Predators), they'll show the feed from the Predators. At least that is my understanding... Someone else here can probably confirm / deny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts