Will you cancel Dish because of the new receiver pricing?

Stay or Cancel

• Stay with Dish (accept the price increase)

Votes: 243 69.0%
  • Cancel Dish (reject the price increase)

Votes: 109 31.0%

• Total voters
But not doing anything about it is accepting their changes even more. It is no so much accepting their changes but having to deal with it because you have no choice unless you switch providers.

I guess some people tend to get more than they really need with their provider, so they have the flexibility to just downgrade.

We're not one that's affected by that. It's a fairly basic setup - a 722, a 322, and a 311. Nothing fancy - one HDTV with DVR, SD for the rest. Only AT250, no premiums except Cinemax for a penny, and only because it's a penny.

I'd gladly drop to AT200 but there's a few key channels missing there. It's frustrating, we probably only watch 20-25 channels total but some of them are on the highest package.

We're not in the situation where we have enough extras to drop them to save money. If that were the case, I'd have done it a long time ago, regardless of the receiver fees.

Right now Dish wants to sock us with a $12 monthly increase,or an increase of 14%. That's ridiculous. Yeah, DirecTV and cable in the area are both raising their rates, but only by $3-$4. Dish is increasing theirs by 3-4 times as much. That's not acceptable.

We're not interested in downgrading the level of our service, but if a different provider can offer the same level of service for cheaper (and right now both DirecTV and cable can), then there's no reason to stick with Dish.

If Directv was smart they would immediately come up with a "Dump Dish" promotion where Dish Network customers get great deals on Directv receivers and programming. They would make a killing.

Dowgrade from AEP to Top100 Plus or 200. Turn in a 211 and maybe 722k. In contract with DISH with a year left. Perhaps leave after 20 month discount. Just got FiOS tv. I'll record TV shows, NHLCI, MLB with DISH. I have a 53 dollar bundle credit for Triple play 24 mos. Iwill save over $300 a year. Called twice to verify. DISH picked the wrong time to do this with bill season and some extra bills. My Verizon bill actually goes down for 6 mos with 3 boxes and AEP equivalent.

I voted to stay with E* because my area gets no cable or phone company tv service. Direct tv does not carry our local channels. I currently have AEP with 2 622s and 4700. The 4700 is connected to a house cable run and is connected to 3 sd tvs. I believe I can drop the 4700 and connect the house cable run to one of the 622 2nd tv out. This would cut my ( $6 DVR + $10 2nd 622 increase + $2 solo receiver increase = $18 ) increase to ( $6 +$10 - $5) to $11. The problem in dropping the 4700 is getting 2 additional #2 uhf remotes to run the 622 and programming them to run the correct 622. How much are 622 #2 remotes or how easy is it to get E* to send additional # 2 remotes complaining about some problem like battery life?

If Directv was smart they would immediately come up with a "Dump Dish" promotion where Dish Network customers get great deals on Directv receivers and programming. They would make a killing.

Yeah a special promo for high value subs. E would richly deserve this:)

that same question can be asked of many of us.

for 5 to 7 bucks a month per box with AEP washing the DVR fee, the obvious answer is we wanted it. never a timer conflict:)

I have the 722k with DISH locals from Houston as well as from ota for Beaumont,tx. I'm covered on network tv for all the networks( ABC/CBS/FOX/CW) except Nbc. There is really nothing on NBC anymore ,except 30 Rock and Sat.Night Live. I have a DISH pal plus dvr for ota and it is a dual tuner. So I can cover NBC if I want to on that dvr. Anything else on satellite can be covered later ,since just about every major cable network runs the same show a million times a week. SO NO CONFLICTS in my house.

What I think DISH is trying to do is to move all the customers with multiple dvrs in their house to make a decision. Eliminate the multiple duo dvrs in their house hold or pay to keep them. The reason why I think they are doing this is because of the stackers and of course GREED by Charlie and the Bean counters at DISH. Less dvrs in your house less chance of stackers and no reason to keep the DISH Nazi Audit team. This one department has caused more churn and bad word of mouth than probably any other in DISH.

The tv 1 /tv2 concept was to make a sub use ONE dvr in their house so they wouldn't need multiple dvr receivers. Now this isn't working since many of us have multiple HD tvs in our house. Besides once you have a dvr , you never want to go without a dvr on any tv. With the new 922 dvr and the sling technology it brings, you will be able to sling Tv2 in HD to another tv in your house with the sling 300 add on. This take the place of 2 hd tvs in your house and you can still use the coax to feed other tv in your house as well . So watch Hd in your living room and something else in the bedroom in hd. Now I think that would work for most small 2 - 3 people households but not for big families with lots of tvs.

Scott keeps saying that he thinks next year we will see a whole house dvr server that can run hd on any tv in your house using sling technology on your network. I can see this being the best bet for most people with large amount of tvs. Of course by then DISH will most likely charge for each tv you hook it up to for a nice new FEE. Ever notice that Fee starts with an F as in F*cked?;)

If this flies D & other providers will pull the same thing.........

A great reason to teach E a lesson!!

This is another reason why I think Dish is doing this. They think others will follow suit. You know that they will raise the DVR fee up to $7 next year because Directv did this year. That is a given.

Last edited:
I guess some people tend to get more than they really need with their provider, so they have the flexibility to just downgrade.

We're not in the situation where we have enough extras to drop them to save money. If that were the case, I'd have done it a long time ago, regardless of the receiver fees.

We're not interested in downgrading the level of our service, but if a different provider can offer the same level of service for cheaper (and right now both DirecTV and cable can), then there's no reason to stick with Dish.

This is how I feel. I had AEP and some other stuff a long time ago and dropped down to AT250 and do not want to drop below that. I didn't have a DVR fee with a 721 and later upgraded a 301 to a 522 that had the DVR fee. I just got HD last year. So all these extra fees added up now with HD and DVR fees and now hardware fees.

The only thing I can do is try to drop down to a Turbo package, if that is allowed, and replace one of the 522/722 receivers with a 612. I guess if I replaced the 522 with a 612 then the 722 would be the first on the account and no charge for the TV2 output right? Heck, Dish might change that next year and start charging a fee for the first receiver too. The only thing that will stop them from going THAT far is if Directv don't do it. The only reason why Dish added these fees is due to the fact that he is pretty well in line with Directv and cable if people use these dual tv output receivers on two tv's.

What I think DISH is trying to do is to move all the customers with multiple dvrs in their house to make a decision. Eliminate the multiple duo dvrs in their house hold or pay to keep them. The reason why I think they are doing this is because of the stackers and of course GREED by Charlie and the Bean counters at DISH. Less dvrs in your house less chance of stackers and no reason to keep the DISH Nazi Audit team. This one department has caused more churn and bad word of mouth than probably any other in DISH.

The tv 1 /tv2 concept was to make a sub use ONE dvr in their house so they wouldn't need multiple dvr receivers. Now this isn't working since many of us have multiple HD tvs in our house. Besides once you have a dvr , you never want to go without a dvr on any tv.

I am also thinking that Dish Network sees a benefit in different ways from this. One, people are going to pay more to support Dish's support/cost of having those extra receivers on their account. Two, Dish will get a lot of those receivers back with Dish thinking that they will do so because a lot of these people realized that they did not really need all of these receivers on their account after all, that they can come up with clever ways of still making it work like splitting off TV2 to different tv's in the house if they have four different receivers but only two or three people watching different things on different tv's.

Dish Network figured out a way to make sure they made as much money even if the customer does send back some receivers because they will have raised the fees to make up for it and still get some hardware back saving Dish Network money on manufacturing costs. For those that want to keep their receivers they figure they either must really like their current setup or have multiple tv's and can afford the increase if they can afford to have that many tv's in their home.

This is how I feel. I had AEP and some other stuff a long time ago and dropped down to AT250 and do not want to drop below that. I didn't have a DVR fee with a 721 and later upgraded a 301 to a 522 that had the DVR fee. I just got HD last year. So all these extra fees added up now with HD and DVR fees and now hardware fees.

The only thing I can do is try to drop down to a Turbo package, if that is allowed, and replace one of the 522/722 receivers with a 612. I guess if I replaced the 522 with a 612 then the 722 would be the first on the account and no charge for the TV2 output right? Heck, Dish might change that next year and start charging a fee for the first receiver too. The only thing that will stop them from going THAT far is if Directv don't do it. The only reason why Dish added these fees is due to the fact that he is pretty well in line with Directv and cable if people use these dual tv output receivers on two tv's.

Yeah, but DirecTV is at least a bit more reasonable - $5 per SDTV instead of $7, and DVR's don't cost $17/month.

The thing that always was nice about Dish was that it was cheaper for those of us with more than 1-2 TV's. Now, it's the opposite.

And I refuse to see how one should have to pay $17 a month if they own a DVR. Ridiculous. I'm of the opinion that if you buy a box, there should never be ANY charge on it. The provider has no costs associated with that box, as I paid for it. Why should I be charged a fee to use something that I own? Under that logic, I should be paying extra for each computer that accesses the internet, or each vacuum connected to the power grid?

I know every provider does it and there's no avoiding it, but Dish is just making it worse.

I suspect that many people will be swapping out their duo receivers for the 612...

Does anyone know if the 612 is considers a VIP receiver and can it have an EHD activate on it AND thus able to share the EHD with say ones primary 622/722 receiver?

I suspect that many people will be swapping out their duo receivers for the 612...

That was my plan as well.

I called Dish and asked to cancel my account. Got transferred to retentions. The lady in retentions asked why and I told her my bill was going up by $42 per month and that it was too much. I told her I would be willing to stay with Dish if they would swap out the 522s for 612s
She checked and said they could only swap 2 of them out. I asked why since all 3 of the 522s had been sent to me at the same time.

This part I did not know. My understanding when Dish sent me the 522s for the 721s was that the new ones were being leased. She told me that is showed that the 522s were purchased units. So I do not have to send the 522s back.
They are having a tech bring them out tomorrow.

Anyway, I said I would still be stuck with a $17 fee for one unit and didn't like that because I didn't use the DUO feature. And with the fees my cable company would be $15 cheaper for 4 HD DVRs. She put me on hold and when she came back she said the best she could do was the two 612s but would also give me a $10 per month discount for 12 months.

So I get two 612s for no upgrade fee and a $10 per month discount.

My current bill is $100.99. It would have been $142.98 next month.
With the swaps, it will be $118.98. I have a 508 in my storage room so I will activate the 508 and drop the other 522 so that fee will go from 17 to 7.
Final total of $108.98.

Anybody interested in buying three 522's? :)

So I get two 612s for no upgrade fee and a $10 per month discount.

Did they make you agree to a 2 year contract? My bill is $70.98 a month right now, all I asked for was for them to swap out my 222 for a 211 and they refused to swap it unless I paid a $100 upgrade fee and agreed to a new 2 year contract which I passed on. If dish would have be willing to swap out my 222 to a 211 for free, I would I have been happy, would not be complaining either but not sure I am willing to agree to new 2 year contract with a company who acts this way anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)