Windows 10 installed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Well, did the upgrade on my work pc, and so far so good. Showing a little slowdown in comparison to 7 that was on it, but I imagine a reboot will clear that up.

Edge has some nice features that may get my away from chrome.

UI has been all over the web, so nothing that most of us haven't seen, but it is a really nice, clean look.

Will see how it sticks as time goes by.

Plan to do my home media pc this evening.

May leave my tablet on 8.1 though.

I'm going to wait at least a few days to see if Windows 10 causes any problems for gamers before I make the upgrade.

Showing a little slowdown in comparison to 7 that was on it, but I imagine a reboot will clear that up.
For the most part it did. Seems to be getting faster as time goes by. Probably lots of background stuff getting sorted.

I hate the spurious indexing of my 6TB of networked disks, and always turn that off even though the indexing is running at low priority.

Didn't MS remove Media Center from W10? How are you getting around that? That was one of the main reasons I upgraded to W7.

Pretty much all the things I use at work are compatible so far. QuickBooks, ect. And no networking issues with any of my win 7 or 8 machines. That I have found anyway.

Anything specific that isn't compatible?
Not that I have yet found, but I'm only 3 hours in. I have not tried our timeclock software, or DOT randomizer program yet, other than that, most of what is regularly used has been tested, at least briefly.

Looks like this pc has the file ready, not sure if I want to pull trigger yet ...
Windows 10.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Here’s the link for the Download Tool, that will let you create an ISO image. When you run the tool you choose if you want Home or Pro, or the N version of each, choose 32 or 64 bit and then it will start the download process. During the installation, it sounds like you just enter in your existing Windows 7 or 8 key and you’ll be good to go.

As a staunch supporter of only doing clean installs and starting from scratch, I’m holding out until the weekend when I have more time. I ordered three Intel 730 series 480 GB SSDs for this. I’m already running one of those on my main desktop at home with 8.1. My older 8.1 desktop and 7 laptop will be upgraded along with my work laptop. This way I only have to do one system image, and my original hard drives will be intact in case something doesn’t go right. Hopefully they will be here by Friday.

Well I've spent way to much time screwing around with this this morning. :coco

A word of warning, VMware's video driver doesn't pass Microsoft's upgrade test so the normal upgrade app won't install 10. Deleting VMware tools seems to help for some but I repeatedly failed with an 80240020 in Windows Update. This error doesn't seem to be specific to VMware as there are many people getting it according to Google search.

Finally, using the Microsoft link above and choosing the update option seems to have worked. I'm likely going to wait until VMware and Microsoft straighten out their video driver issue before attempting this on one of my real W7 VM's.

Now it's time to go cut the grass.... :computerwindow

I tried to download the update for a clean install on my brand new Windows 8 laptop using MS Media Creation Tool, but it wouldn't recognize the USB drive I had connected even though I ran the Media Creation Tool from that drive. I tried using a portable SATA HDD. I guess it actually has to be flash memory and not any USB connected storage since it did recognize my 2 GB SD card that was in my computer (which of course isn't big enough to pull off the upgrade). Unfortunately, I don't have any flash memory big enough that isn't currently needed elsewhere.

I half expected when I woke up this morning the upgrade will have happened, but instead I keep getting prompted for new Windows 8.1 updates. :(

EDIT: Okay, I followed the instructions on how to manually trigger the update at http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-upgrade-not-showing-yet-heres-how-manually-trigger-update

I'm now finally seeing the hidden folder on my C: drive. I guess I just wait for "nature" to take its course. :)

Last edited:
I'll install it on a VM tomorrow, but I really wont get much use out of Windows 10 since I heavily use Media Center on most computers in my house.

No comptaibility issues. Cortana is nice. A noticeable slowdown from 8.1 but it is livable. A net plus so far. Maybe all that testing paid off.

Well my install failed, and repeated attempts to re-download have failed. WTF? This shouldn't be so hard. It's a two-week old Windows 8.1 laptop that I've barely touched. I'm now trying to do a system restore to point before the first failed install. Hopefully that will work.

Desktop didn't get notice about Upgrade until yesterday and it was ready for the update this afternoon. Went ahead and let it go. Just checked and it is finished and everything seems to work fine. Will check things out in more detail tomorrow. Tired of sitting in office now.

May go let tablet update now, as laptop still hasn't received notice. I bet I have to go download and make an install iso for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)