Windows 10 installed

This weekend was my wrap up weekend for Windows 10. Four computers, all with brand new Intel 730 480 GB SSDs with clean installs of Windows 10 Pro. All three of my home computers are finished, just have to install a few more things on my work laptop and I will be all set. Had one problem with my older desktop that my wife uses. Last year the video card died so I snagged an old NVidia Quadro Pro FX 3500 from work, which worked fine on 8.1 but there are no Windows 10 drivers available for that card, so I ran into work last night to see what I could cannibalize from our scrap pile and an old GeForce 8500 was the most promising. It took a few tries but I got that going.

One thing I'm missing with 10, and it was like this in 8/8.1, is no system tray notification for the downloading/installation of Microsoft Updates. On my laptops, I occasionally work from my metered Sprint USB modem, with updates happening all the time now, it would be nice to have some notification so I can cancel the download and resume when I get back on my cable modem. In the past I would just not use my cellular connection on the second Tuesday of the month until after I forced the updates to download. Yes, I know I could defer the updates, but I'd rather just be alerted and cancel them if need be, rather than toggling Updates on and off.

Overall as time goes by, these computers seem to be getting faster and faster. I just need to figure out my bluetooth mouse problem on my personal laptop and I will be exactly where I want to be.

I have been installing it on my various computers. I have had no issues with the new start menu, I actually like it than I can rearrange the tiles to get it just like I like it. I have one old Win7 laptop that the update is not available for it yet. I assume that it is a driver issue - it says it will notify me when it is ready.

Just found another fix for the issue I mentioned earlier about Adobe Premier Pro 2015 crashing.

All I have to say is God, I hate AMD and this just adds fuel to the fire.

Apparently AMDs CCC locks Premier Pro into using Power Savings mode, ie using on board graphics card in lieu of the dedicated card and it can't be changed. If the Premier Pro EXE file is given a different name, AMDs idiotic CCC doesn't recognize it as Premier Pro and it launches using the dedicated card. I'm guessing this never affected me before under Windows 7 since I never updated my graphics card drivers in the almost 4 years I've had this laptop.

https://community.amd.com/thread/167905

My computer has been really stable on WIndows 10 (knock on wood). Had troubles with Vista, upgraded to 8 (clean install) still problems. Knock on wood again.

S~

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Found a problem in testing at work that will make the jump to Windows 10 stall for a while for us.

Microsoft’s own Dynamics CRM for Outlook Client will not install on Windows 10 for the 2011 and I guess the 2013 version as well. 2015 works fine. At work, as dictated by corporate overseas, we must use the 2011 version. They have no plans to upgrade to 2013 or ’15 anytime soon. Tried to install Dynamics CRM 2011 and it made it about half way through and crashed, upon attempting to install it the second, third, forth, etc time, it now it crashes right at the beginning, apparently this is normal. It sounds like they discovered the bug shortly before WIN10 was released and still have yet to fix it. There’s a work around that is supposed to work, but with a little under half of the company using CRM, I have no desire to do this on an individual basis one by one on about 85 PCs. I may try it on my own laptop just to see if I can get it working though

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/...-with-windows-10-edge-browser-and-office-2016

http://www.crestwood.com/blog/view/does-microsoft-dynamics-crm-work-with-windows-10/

It amazes me that Microsoft can come up with all these gimmicks like Cortana and their wifi sharing nonsense that are designed to dumb down the PC for the average home user, but can’t make their own enterprise products work together without a problem.

How’s everyone’s experience with 1511 build 10586.3 going?

I updated through Windows Update last week, not realizing it was almost like installing a new OS. On both of my laptops, the Windows splash screen freezes for a sec with the rotating circle is in mid rotation, flashes black, continues to spin then brings me to my login screen. I first did this on my personal laptop, and figured it was a problem with the install, so I downloaded the ISO of the new build from Microsoft and reformatted and reinstalled everything over the weekend and it still happens. Did an Update install with my work laptop Monday and same exact thing. Also did a format c: and did a clean install from the ISO with the work laptop and same result. This does not happen on my two desktop that have the new build. The only thing the two laptops have in common is they have switchable graphics. Intel onboard graphics with AMD dedicated cards.

If you've tightened down your privacy settings from the default, you may want to double check them after the update.

Also, I didn't notice this on the update, but after doing a fresh install there is a Twitter app, a Candy Crush app and whatever Microsoft Sway is. I removed them all. Still can't remove junk like Bing Maps, Groove Music or Cortana though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)