Windows 10 installed

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471522,00.asp

After reading up on virus stuff a little more I decided to try out the free version of Avast. It seems to have a decent mix of protection and staying out of my way. I don't want a popup every time I use my computer like I was getting with AVG.

It is also working on my Windows 10 PC while some of the other virus programs mentioned won't let people install. I will say that you want to make sure to read every check-box during installation or you will end up with a new home page, default search engine, and other crap all these freeware guys try to sneak past you. Also make sure you do a custom install instead of express to catch a few more of these kinds of things.

I immediately went into the settings, then tools, then turned off their software updater, browser cleanup, system cleanup, and all that other junk. I just want virus protection and warnings when I'm about to visit a malicious site. I don't need my virus program trying to optimize my PCs performance, update other programs, and delete my browser add-ons. This is the kind of bloat that turns me against these virus programs.

Anyways, I'll try it for a while to see how obtrusive it is. If it's like Windows Defender, where I don't even notice it's there I'll stick with it. If it starts trying to block all my legitimate software and constantly tries to up-sell me like AVG did it won't last long. I don't know why it's so hard for these programs to scan and update their definitions in the background like Windows Defender does.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471522,00.asp

After reading up on virus stuff a little more I decided to try out the free version of Avast. It seems to have a decent mix of protection and staying out of my way. I don't want a popup every time I use my computer like I was getting with AVG.

It is also working on my Windows 10 PC while some of the other virus programs mentioned won't let people install. I will say that you want to make sure to read every check-box during installation or you will end up with a new home page, default search engine, and other crap all these freeware guys try to sneak past you. Also make sure you do a custom install instead of express to catch a few more of these kinds of things.

I immediately went into the settings, then tools, then turned off their software updater, browser cleanup, system cleanup, and all that other junk. I just want virus protection and warnings when I'm about to visit a malicious site. I don't need my virus program trying to optimize my PCs performance, update other programs, and delete my browser add-ons. This is the kind of bloat that turns me against these virus programs.

Anyways, I'll try it for a while to see how obtrusive it is. If it's like Windows Defender, where I don't even notice it's there I'll stick with it. If it starts trying to block all my legitimate software and constantly tries to up-sell me like AVG did it won't last long. I don't know why it's so hard for these programs to scan and update their definitions in the background like Windows Defender does.

Thanks for following up on the antivirus issues and letting us know about Avast working. I'll give it a try. I feel much better with ANY free antivirus program over Defender (until I hear that it's much better for Windows 10). I read one review where it showed in independent testing Defender fails to catch malware 10% of the time, where most others fail less than 1% of the time when bombarded with malware attacks.

In other news, I was very happy to get Windows Live Mail (2011) downloaded, set up, and working on Windows 10. I wasn't happy with the preinstalled mail program in Windows 10 because it wouldn't let me create a proper business signature (among other shortcomings). And other free email clients I looked into limit the number of email accounts you can have in the free version, and Thunderbird can't handle my 20K+ hotmail emails anymore.

Thanks for following up on the antivirus issues and letting us know about Avast working. I'll give it a try. I feel much better with ANY free antivirus program over Defender (until I hear that it's much better for Windows 10). I read one review where it showed in independent testing Defender fails to catch malware 10% of the time, where most others fail less than 1% of the time when bombarded with malware attacks.

In other news, I was very happy to get Windows Live Mail (2011) downloaded, set up, and working on Windows 10. I wasn't happy with the preinstalled mail program in Windows 10 because it wouldn't let me create a proper business signature (among other shortcomings). And other free email clients I looked into limit the number of email accounts you can have in the free version, and Thunderbird can't handle my 20K+ hotmail emails anymore.

You might want to disable the Software Updater "tool" if you try Avast. I've read that it can bog your computer down because it constantly checks all of your installed software to see if there are any updates. It also creates additional popups when it does find updates. I don't know about you guys but this is something I don't need from a an anti-virus program.

Edit: luckily Avast is very modular and it's really easy to disable everything you don't want.

I f you have privacy concerns you may want to check this out... http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Windows 10 is very nosey ;)

I turned most of these things off during installation but I'm going to take a quick look through the privacy settings when I get home tonight. Never do the express install or all of this stuff is turned on without your knowledge. If you do the custom install you can switch it off as it installs.

Well this was a wasted weekend. The other day after I got about half of my software reinstalled, when booting up the PC, the Welcome screen would just sit and spin for about 25 seconds after entering my password. With 8.1 I could have done two complete boot ups and shut downs in the time Windows 10 sits at the Welcome screen and spins. Also had a ton of problems when downloading my software direct from the vendor’s website using Edge (Malwarebytes, Dell SonicWall VPN Client, Team Viewer, VNC) with it locking up on the ‘Security Scan’ step after the download but before the installation. Also had problems with icons in My Computer and Network Neighborhood disappearing, but the text remained and problems with Windows freezing. Going into Task Manager and restarting Windows Explorer would fix those issues.

So yesterday, I said screw it and went into the Windows Recovery Environment and brought up the Command Prompt and did a Format C:. Reinstalled Windows 10 and guess what? It could not activate. So I had to reload my 8.1 system image that I took Wednesday evening, then go through the Upgrade BS again and then boot off the 10 DVD and do a format. How idiotic.

I proceeded to reformat, install Windows, install the Updates and Drivers I needed to, plus install Office 2013 and all of its updates. At this point everything was pretty fast. The Welcome screen would spin two times and I’d be at my desktop. I got called in to work unexpectedly, and when I came home and booted up it went back to taking over 20 seconds at the Welcome Screen again. I have essentially four things that load on startup, the Beats Audio service, NVidia’s stuff, Classic Shell and Malwarebytes Premium. So I just installed all of my software and put up with the same issues I had the first time around, but not quite as bad. I’ll just deal with it and forget that I have an SSD.

I did my best to disable Cortana, but looking in the task Manager, that stupid thing is still running. I absolutely loathe the idea of these digital data harvesting assistants. Also disabled that wifi sharing junk, even though it’s a desktop that’s always hardwired. I'm liking my 'new start menu'. Looks exactly like the one I had in 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2K, NT 4, 98 and 95. Thank you Classic Shell!

Attachments

• Start Menu.png
    Start Menu.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 139
I thought Office 2003 wasn't supposed to work above Windows 7. Mine works fine after the upgrade. Maybe they are going to turn it off after the 30 days they give you to go back to W7.

Reactions: Charise
Not sure about Office 2003, I seriously doubt it would be compatible now and then 'expire' after a month. But why would you only have 30 days to go back to Windows 7?

Create a back image and you can go back any time you want.

Not sure about Office 2003, I seriously doubt it would be compatible now and then 'expire' after a month. But why would you only have 30 days to go back to Windows 7?

Create a back image and you can go back any time you want.
I realize that. I was just referring to the quick option button they have that doesn't have to have a backup image (if you change your mind before 30 days is up)

File Explorer is super slow on my desktop since going to 10 ...

Me too actually. Not only that but File Explorer actually froze on me and I had to get rid of it with the Task Manager. I don't remember that happening even once with File Explorer in Windows 8 and 8.1.

Do you guys think doing a clean install on Windows 10 would fix that? Because I just did the upgrade option, not the clean install one.

My understanding is that the upgrade does a "real good job" of housecleaning. You may not have noticed, but it actually creates a new Windows directory - you should see a "Windows.old" directory on your primary drive. Now, it has to copy/import some stuff for compatibility reasons, making sure existing programs still work, etc.

Does it copy the entire, likely bloated registry over ? I think it has to.... I did use CCleaner to clean up as much as possible. Use it's registry cleaner and run it over and over until it finds no more issues. Then reboot and run it again just to be sure.

I'm pretty impressed with Windows 10. I had Windows 8.1 on my iMac at work running inside Parallels, but they include Start 7 to give you the option of the Windows 7 Start Menu so I never did see the whole "Metro" thing or be without a start menu. At home, our computers had Windows 7.

Reactions: Tecmo SB Guy
Me too actually. Not only that but File Explorer actually froze on me and I had to get rid of it with the Task Manager. I don't remember that happening even once with File Explorer in Windows 8 and 8.1.

Do you guys think doing a clean install on Windows 10 would fix that? Because I just did the upgrade option, not the clean install one.
Mines much faster now after several power cycles ...

Reactions: Tecmo SB Guy
Thanks. I'll have to do some more rebooting.

Also wondering about this. I found this article from CNET also about doing a clean install of Windows 10:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/

But the directions are different. I'm specifically looking under the "For a system already running Windows 10" section.

Do both ways result in the same thing? Or is one way of doing a clean install of Windows 10 better than the other?

After a week, I used the quick recovery feature to go back to 7. It took about 20 mins. I feel much better now. There were a lot of things I liked about 10,but I didn't want them bricking my system with their stupid forced hardware drivers or having to turn off 50 things just so Microsoft won't upload all my info and files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)